New Apple software shipping in mini packaging

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
While Apple is ballooning into a massive computer and entertainment conglomerate, its products keep getting smaller and smaller. Just as Apple shrunk the iPod with the nano -- and subsequently its packaging -- the company's latest consumer software offerings are also arriving in ultra-thin, super-small retail packaging.

Tipsters note that iLife '06, iWork '06 and .Mac 4.0 retail boxes are no bigger than the iPod nano box, and slightly thinner. The iLife '06 retail box packs only a single dual-layer DVD and associated documentation. Amazon.com is currently offering 10% off both iLife '06 and iWork '06 (each $70.99) and 20% off .Mac 4.0 ($79.99).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

While Apple is ballooning into a massive computer and entertainment conglomerate, its products keep getting smaller and smaller. Just as Apple shrunk the iPod with the nano -- and subsequently its packaging -- the company's latest consumer software offerings are also arriving in ultra-thin, super-small retail packaging.

Tipsters note that iLife '06, iWork '06 and .Mac 4.0 retail boxes are no bigger than the iPod nano box, and slightly thinner. The iLife '06 retail box packs only a single dual-layer DVD and associated documentation. Amazon.com is currently offering 10% off both iLife '06 and iWork '06 (each $70.99) and 20% off .Mac 4.0 ($79.99).
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Does this mean I need to "upgrade" .Mac? 4.0, what does that mean? This is going to be a bummer if I can't use all the new stuff in iLife with .Mac. A quick answer is all that will suffice.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Small packaging: good!

Less paper, less ink, less fuel/pollution for shipping... less waste all around.

To mention easier stocking/storage for Apple Stores.

I hate when a little disc and booklet comes in some huge box of trash and air.

(I don't think you need to upgrade--not for money )
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I somewhat get the joke, but I am still lost. Is my .Mac account different now? I wouldn't think so. Even going into mac.com I see the big change that everyone else does.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Small packaging: good!

Less paper, less ink, less fuel/pollution for shipping... less waste all around.

To mention easier stocking/storage for Apple Stores.

I hate when a little disc and booklet comes in some huge box of trash and air.

Exactly.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Yep, got World Music Jam Pack and iLife. That's the size they should be, the minimal. Inside the disc(s) and docs come in a neat little pull-out drawer, which also helps give the box a bit more sturdiness.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    So the only remaining questions are:

a) Why isn't everyone else doing this, and

b) Why haven't they all been doing it for years.

I think part of the reason are probably more about buyer pyschology and marketing/shelf space/visibility than anything else.

Still...I really like to hear this.

I think this is an onften unoticed benefit of the Mac mini (and the iPods). More profit per cubic inch. Laptops are in this group too.

It will be interesting to watch trends in Apple product packaging.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Actually PC games adopted a large paperback book-sized box some years ago. These are actually smaller than the iLife/iWork '05 boxes.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I wish they would have used DVD cases likes games, movies and MS Office.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    It says a dual layer DVD. I have a SuperDrive on an PowerMac G5 1.6ghz...it can't burn dual layer, but can it read dual layer?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Hi

If your DVD Burner cannot burn DL DVDs it will not read them either.

Rob
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by rob05au

Hi

Rob

However, in the Apple Specifications, it only requires a DVD drive... so something has to work out. This is what I'm hoping on anyways.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

So the only remaining questions are:

a) Why isn't everyone else doing this, and

b) Why haven't they all been doing it for years.

Small things are easy to steal, and software can be expensive.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

However, in the Apple Specifications, it only requires a DVD drive... so something has to work out. This is what I'm hoping on anyways.

Yea, me two. If it dosnt work I'm going to be pissed.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Yea, me two. If it dosnt work I'm going to be pissed.

If so, Apple would have been getting some calls or emails from very disgruntled customers mourning the lack of information on the system requirements. Many customers from other parts of the world (And some in the US) have already gotten their copies and would have complained.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Relax all, here's a link that helps to explain it:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....17855&#1517855
  • Reply 16 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Small things are easy to steal, and software can be expensive.

and many packages include big manuals...I like paper manuals. Full paper documentation makes life easy in a pinch.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Smaller box huh? That must be why they couldn't include the darn spreadsheet...
  • Reply 18 of 30
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    In Europe, many software titles come in DVD cases to reduce self space requirements. Packaging has always been more important in the US than in any other country, but still the box sizes of all software has shrunk in the last few years. Like mentioned above, games are now much smaller. And, if you remember Photoshop way back when, it came in a monster size box (similar to the size of Apple's FCP Studio). Manuals have always been the largest (not to mention most expensive) part of a software package. And now most companies are simply including PDFs.

As far as being able to read a Dual Layer DVD, almost every DVD player in existance can read them. From the start, the DVD specification took into account Dual Layer replicated DVDs (ie commercial DVDs). And just about every DVD movie is Dual Layer. It is only burning Dual Layer DVDs that is relatively new, and because of this not all DVD players will read burned Dual Layer Discs. But replicated discs are no problem.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Hi

Rob

Eh? Every DVD movie is on Dual Layer discs.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Hi

Rob

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.