Microsoft Origami Project

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.origamiproject.com/1/

sounds really cool, its from microsoft so it may tie in wtih the 360. i guess well find out on thursday!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Okay, I watched the vid and I've got to say - interested!

Looks like some sort of social networking site or some kind of p2p app at first glance. Stylishly done - who'da thunk it'd be Microsoftian?

If it ties into the 360 that will please me to no end. Either that or I need some OS X compatibility
  • Reply 2 of 54
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    it looks cheep, thats what it does... compared to the aperature flash for instance...
  • Reply 3 of 54
    i am not a Micrsoft person in general, but the pics of the device (which I just looked at on engadget) looks like someting apple should have come up with and oddly, similar to all the video iPod with PDA type functions rumors.

looking forward to seeing what this is.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    http://www.d-kitchen.com/launch_center.htm

Go to this site. Click Enter -> Work -> BrandTheatre -> Microsoft Oragomi. Extremely stylish commercial, I'm still yet undecided about the product.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    LOOK APPLE. You CAN make stylish commercials that gives at least a HINT of what the product can do.

Looks cool. Something Apple would have done ten years ago if the tech had been there (and burned up a couple of billions for the four different project groups that never spoke to eachother and all only managed to make some hypercard presentation of what they would like to put into it)
  • Reply 6 of 54
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    This is definitely where the iPod should be going. It just has to. This whole thing smells like MS FUD to me. Perhaps MS knows what Apple will introduce on April 1 and wants to get the jump on them.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    PS- Watch the Unison video to see MS version of Front Row.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    My exact thoughts... FUD...
  • Reply 9 of 54
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

This whole thing smells like MS FUD to me. Perhaps MS knows what Apple will introduce on April 1 and wants to get the jump on them.

If so it is high class, taste good FUD and I can´t wait to see what real product Apple is planning
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

If so it is high class, taste good FUD

Don't let Steve catch you talking that way.

Quote:

The problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have no taste and I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way.

• Reply 11 of 54
    I believe it has something to do with Vista, and the 360. I think that the 360 is going to be the media hub for your home entertainment center, and connect with vista well. Which means that Apple is gonna have to make a media hub...which they prolly are.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Idea is obviously good. I still don't know if I would want to carry it around. I still think a tablet is more of an answer to this idea than a large PDA. But I have been wrong many times before and will be wrong yet again. The device just seems so bulky and you would still have to take your laptop to get a lot done. All they really showed was taking notes and then map functionality.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Wow i just watched the movie. It pretty much does what an apple tablet would be able to do...Microsoft prolly looked at these forums and took all our ideas for a tablet and made the origami!!!
  • Reply 14 of 54
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Wasn't there supposed to be some PR event tonight? I haven't heard or read a thing about it... what happened?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    My feeling is that taking notes with a stylus is a high tech way of carving signs in stone.

As in, not very efficient or user friendly. I tried it twice, and abandoned it twice.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Wasn't there supposed to be some PR event tonight? I haven't heard or read a thing about it... what happened?

Looks like they've pushed it back to the 9th.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/02/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I hate to admit it (being a M$ product and all), but I have to say that I am a bit intrigued by what they're going to come out with.

• Reply 17 of 54
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corkurk

I hate to admit it (being a M$ product and all), but I have to say that I am a bit intrigued by what they're going to come out with.

FUD doesn't intrigue me.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Depending on price, I might be in the market for something like that.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You know, I'm really damned amused by this. I saw *NOTHING* on that video that I couldn't do with my Newton 8 years ago. Nothing.

But people bitched about the Newton because it was...

- too big (wow, I really like the big size of the Origami!)

- too expensive (man, I'd pay more for that...)

Hell, did anyone even notice any example of demoed handwriting recog on that video? I didn't.

Lame, lame, lame.

So yes, you're right... Apple could do something like that. They *DID*.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Are you all smoking crack???? Just because microsoft makes some dull flash movie and a vague promo doesn't mean that this thing is going to be worth shit...

Hype with lack of substance has been Microsoft's MO for over 30 years.