Is Front Row for Intel Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just wondering, when the new MacBook and whatever the new PowerMac G5 will be called are released, will they have Front Row.

It seems it's only Intel macs that recieving the software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by appel

Just wondering, when the new MacBook and whatever the new PowerMac G5 will be called are released, will they have Front Row.

It seems it's only Intel macs that recieving the software.

Right the MacBook is what people suspect the replacement for the iBook will be called! That's a notebook, i.e. a laptop! That should have front row, because the MacBook Pro does, so we know they put it in a notebook already. We'll see pretty soon!

The PowerMac is apple's Pro. destktop. That will not be out until August or Sep. Its replacement is suspected to be called the ProMac, because apple recently Trademarked that name. I suspect it will have a remote sensor on the thing somewhere!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    appelappel Posts: 69member
    Thanks, so basically, the i is being dropped from hardware, apart from the iPod. I take it this is due to Apple wanting a fresh start with better processors.

The guys over at Pixar will be pissed, they have have to weight a while to switch systems I suspect, seeings as CA takes about 3 years per movie
  • Reply 3 of 27
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Thanks, so basically, the i is being dropped from hardware, apart from the iPod. I take it this is due to Apple wanting a fresh start with better processors.

The guys over at Pixar will be pissed, they have have to weight a while to switch systems I suspect, seeings as CA takes about 3 years per movie

Its not the i thats being dropped its the mac thats being included *cough* imac *cough*

the only think WITHOUT and i will be the ibook unless they call it an imacbook which i doubt.

I think Pixar has a large enough Render Farm as is, and anyway, thats disneys problem, but they have large amounts of money so whenever renderman is released as a universal binary i am sure Pixar will switch.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Thats Disneys problem, but Steve Jobs company. I'm sure he'll make it so all those employees don't use anything but mac's.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Thats Disneys problem, but Steve Jobs company. I'm sure he'll make it so all those employees don't use anything but mac's.

too right, but does it matter?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Pixar uses Mac hardware or software?

Edit: It appears I am wrong:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/04/03/...es.to.os.x.g5/
  • Reply 7 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Front Row will probably be available for all Intel macs. However, for the new towers, I wonder where the IR sensor will go. I'd say it could be relocated to the screen but then you're screwed if you use a non-Apple display.

Then again, I don't want to be pointing my IR remote at the floor towards the tower rather than at the screen I want to control.

Regarding PIXAR, there are some Macs there. Not sure how many are used as workstations or as part of a render farm or something.

I'm pretty sure my widget is used there, and since it is Mac only...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Lupa, the link is what I mean, they are using current G5's, which are out of date at the end of the year, so what will be the situation on that one.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    zedraczedrac Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Lupa, the link is what I mean, they are using current G5's, which are out of date at the end of the year, so what will be the situation on that one.

They won't be "out of date" for several years still, I believe. When Pixar are next ready for an upgrade cycle, they'll move over to Intel Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    i would think their render farm is all xserve cluster
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Oh well, no one does CA like Pixar, I bet Steve Jobs is glad he got into that one.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Oh well, no one does CA like Pixar, I bet Steve Jobs is glad he got into that one.

Cellular automata

Chromatic aberration

Cancer

Calcium

Central America...

Sos whats CA?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Just a stab in the dark but... Hows about Computer Animation, given that's what Pixar does it's the only thing that makes sense...
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Jeez sorry, it didn't immediately jump into my mind.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    It's O.K.

Now you know, by the way, you guys should be way more interested in Pixar.

Seeing as Disney bought them over, Steve Jobs now has the most shares and has a seat in the board of directors. Is it just me, or will be seeing a lot more Disney related stuff on iTunes.8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 16 of 27
    we are seeing disney short movies as well now, a disney movie and many disney shows. Though they are not selling like hot cakes.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Yeah, that's because they need to sort it out. When you download it, you should get a full screen version for you Mac, and an iPod version for an iPod. I don't know who would pay for a video to watch just on the iPod, which is a nightmare to watch B.T.W.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Yeah, that's because they need to sort it out. When you download it, you should get a full screen version for you Mac, and an iPod version for an iPod. I don't know who would pay for a video to watch just on the iPod, which is a nightmare to watch B.T.W.

When this was discussed over on ThinkSecret, different people were arguing for different things. No-one was agreeing on what they wanted. but what really struck me was the fact that not a single one of them could decide on what they wanted. Which led me to think. What if the time that you signed up for an apple account, it would measure your bandwidth and from there suggest a download quality depending on the time it would take to download a music vid in say 2 mins a short vid in 10 mins and a movie in an hour and a half. That quality would be ... But if you were willing you could increase the quality and re-download it whenever you wanted to put it on your ipod or when you had it on your ipod but wanted it on your TV. Or what they could do is every time you make a download or a batch download, you get a little preview which you can resize, test in full screen... and then download, with it giving you the time it would take. That would work far far better. Except it would require a HUGE cluster, except apple did just buy that big data center...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Therefore I can (re)download an SD or an HD movie. It'd be useful.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Front Row will probably be available for all Intel macs. However, for the new towers, I wonder where the IR sensor will go. I'd say it could be relocated to the screen but then you're screwed if you use a non-Apple display.

Then again, I don't want to be pointing my IR remote at the floor towards the tower rather than at the screen I want to control.

Regarding PIXAR, there are some Macs there. Not sure how many are used as workstations or as part of a render farm or something.

I'm pretty sure my widget is used there, and since it is Mac only...

What's your widget?

About the IR remote, I wish that Apple would use a bluetooth remote, so you don't have to bother with the ir sensor, its kind of annoying. IR is so 20th century

Another thing, I hope the Front row is updated with some preferences capabilities of some sort. I have over 200 movies in my "movies" section of iTunes (including full length ripped dvds) and they are all thrown together into the "movies" section in front row. in iTunes I have them sorted by genre, but Front Row skips the genre and just shows the movie titles. A real pain to have to scroll through. *sigh*