Analyst says Apple's Boot Camp could be "game changer"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Software released by Apple Computer today that allows versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system to run natively on Intel-based Macintosh computers is "a big deal," say analysts for American Technology Research.

"Steve Jobs did not disappoint on the 30th anniversary after all," analyst Shaw Wu said to clients in a brief research note on Wednesday.Â*"This morning, Apple announced Boot Camp beta software which allows an Intel-based Mac to run Windows natively."

The software is available as a beta right now and will ship with Mac OS X Leopard, the company's next-generation operating system slated to make its first public appearance in August.

"We believe this is a big deal and potentially could be a significant game changer," Wu worte.Â* The analyst said a key reason why Apple has not gotten more "switchers" is likely due to a lack of strong Windows compatibility, but now with Intel processors and chipsets, they are able to offer full compatibility with Windows XP on Mac.

"Additionally, with support for both EFI and BIOS for booting, Microsoft Vista will also be supported on a Mac," Wu added. "We view this as an incremental negative for HP, DELL and other PC makers as Apple will be able to garner additional PC market share."

The analyst reiterated his Buy rating on Apple shares with a price target of $101.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    So our friend Wu is a gamer, then?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

So our friend Wu is a gamer, then?

I was about to say that! There was a joke ready to be said. Pun Pun!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I guess Wu missed the announcement that Vista will NOT support EFI.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naraa Haras

neither does XP, hence the need for Boot Camp.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    knnethknneth Posts: 14member
    Ugh! Why didn't I buy AAPL shares earlier..
  • Reply 6 of 40
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Will, say, a non-Service Pack 2 XP disc work with Boot Camp? Will an XP disc tied to Dell hardware work with Boot Camp?

Sounds intriguing, if you don't have to buy a *new* copy of XP--although I've seen XP fairly cheap recently, probably to sell more copies before Vista ships.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    actionaction Posts: 8member
    i have updated my macbook pro 2ghz to 10.4.6 and updated the firmware. rebooted and fixed permissions several times but boot camp will not run and gives me a warning that i must updated my software but software updater states i'm up to date.

i have already manually updated all the software i need but i can't even get boot camp to run.

any suggestions?

cheers,

chung lee
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Lets keep this thread "What does this mean for AAPL?" and let all the other stuff go into the main thread.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Lets keep this thread "What does this mean for AAPL?" and let all the other stuff go into the main thread.

It means AAPL will skyrocket. Buy now.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Luckily i bought some Call-Options on Apple-Shares last Week;-)

A nice Stock ralley to new hights and i can afford a couple of MacBook Pros...
  • Reply 11 of 40
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    This is for any games developers that are thinking they no longer need to create MAC OS X versions of games.

Even though I can do this (boot Windows on a Mac) I will NOT be doing so. This is the case even if you decide not to make OS X games any longer. I will go without games or buy a PS2 or PS3 before buying any versions of Windows. And no I won't be buying a lamebox (a.k.a. X-Box) either.

So ... keep those native Mac OS X games coming so I can keep buying them.

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Would it be possible for game manufactures not to use an operating system at all?

would it be possible to boot straight from disk?

This is good news to hear from Apple, sure this will get windows share

Tommy

• Reply 13 of 40
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommyt74

Would it be possible for game manufactures not to use an operating system at all?

Reminds me of playing Silent Service on my friend's Tandy back in the 80s
  • Reply 14 of 40
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Increased Market Share, enough said!

A new wave of switchers is coming!!
  • Reply 15 of 40
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommyt74

This is good news to hear from Apple, sure this will get windows share

Tommy

Actually what you are asking for is for a game AND the OS to be on the CD an for the computer to run the OS and the game when inserted. Yes this is possible but you would still have whatever OS is already running. People won't want to wait for a reboot.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by oberpongo

Luckily i bought some Call-Options on Apple-Shares last Week;-)

A nice Stock ralley to new hights and i can afford a couple of MacBook Pros...

AAAARG.

I talked about buying exactly that a week ago when it was at the bottom. And I did nothing since I know jack shit about it.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naraa Haras

Wu is on the right track here.

From Apple:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

(right sidebar)

"EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

Best,

K
  • Reply 18 of 40
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Wu is on the right track here.

From Apple:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

(right sidebar)

"EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

Best,

K

Lmao, I love Apple :-P
  • Reply 19 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well here's one lad happy to own APPL!
  • Reply 20 of 40
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

Reminds me of playing Silent Service on my friend's Tandy back in the 80s

Or better yet, on an Apple IIGS!! I must have been 8! haha