• Reply 21 of 40
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Lets keep this thread "What does this mean for AAPL?"

Well...so far it means +$5.90 / 9.6% !

Holy cow.

Real question is how long to hold for.

Will this substantially affect the bottom line? How many more Macs will they sell because of this?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    I can tell you right now that this announcement puts Apple at the front of the pack for upcoming large new purchases by the college where I work. Mind you, I said the front of the pack. Prior to this, we were thinking purchasing 5 for use by students and faculty who want to explore multimedia.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Holy cow.

Will this substantially affect the bottom line? How many more Macs will they sell because of this?

• Reply 23 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

So our friend Wu is a gamer, then?

I'll give you that one!
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Will, say, a non-Service Pack 2 XP disc work with Boot Camp? Will an XP disc tied to Dell hardware work with Boot Camp?

Sounds intriguing, if you don't have to buy a *new* copy of XP--although I've seen XP fairly cheap recently, probably to sell more copies before Vista ships.

Do you mean, will it install it, so that I can then download and install SP 2?

Despite our disagreements , I know you're way too smart to run it without it.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Holy cow.

This depends on who was buying the stock today. There have been a lot of shorters out on Apple since last quarter's end.

The only fly in the ointment here is that this only works with FAT 32 (which I imagine Apple is licensing from MS). That cuts the Windows partition size to 32GB. If you can use a separate drive for this, and I don't see why not, then perhaps one can partition the drive into several 32GB partitions. That would help.

I mention this here, because it directly relates to how the market will react to this in the slightly longer term. If they see 32GB partitions as not being terribly useful, then the stock will drop again. Right now NTFS partitions can only be read, not written to.

I suppose this should be brought up in the other thread. Should I bother?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This depends on who was buying the stock today. There have been a lot of shorters out on Apple since last quarter's end.

The only fly in the ointment here is that this only works with FAT 32 (which I imagine Apple is licensing from MS). That cuts the Windows partition size to 32GB. If you can use a separate drive for this, and I don't see why not, then perhaps one can partition the drive into several 32GB partitions. That would help.

I mention this here, because it directly relates to how the market will react to this in the slightly longer term. If they see 32GB partitions as not being terribly useful, then the stock will drop again. Right now NTFS partitions can only be read, not written to.

I suppose this should be brought up in the other thread. Should I bother?

To be sure, there are/will be technical issues (though I'd take issue with you that the 32GB limitation is a significant one). And I expect these to be worked out over time. This is not a complete solution at all. But it does provide a means for some customers to "jump" on board. It will push a few that were hemming and hawing over that 2-3 apps they just NEED to have (I cannot connect, officially, to my company's VPN with a Mac)...maybe some folks that would love to have a Mac, but pine for some of the PC games. It is a "first step". I expect more to come down the road.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Additionally, with support for both EFI and BIOS for booting, Microsoft Vista will also be supported on a Mac

Supported as in works with, not as in we will help you.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Correct me if I'm wrong... But didn't Jobs say specifically that Apple wouldn't be supporting Windows at all in his Intel Mac keynote?...

What the heck?!
  • Reply 29 of 40
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Maybe I'm missing something. If so, I apologize up front. But when I installed Boot Camp, I could create a partition of any size (minimum 5 GB, maximum of Drive Size minus 5 GB). The Win XP installer then gave me the choice of selecting NTFS or FAT32.

BTW, Windows XP screams on my iMac, and graphic performance is top notch.

Quote:

To be sure, there are/will be technical issues (though I'd take issue with you that the 32GB limitation is a significant one). And I expect these to be worked out over time. This is not a complete solution at all. But it does provide a means for some customers to "jump" on board. It will push a few that were hemming and hawing over that 2-3 apps they just NEED to have (I cannot connect, officially, to my company's VPN with a Mac)...maybe some folks that would love to have a Mac, but pine for some of the PC games. It is a "first step". I expect more to come down the road.

• Reply 30 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Yup, XP works pretty well on my MacBook Pro. Only glitch I notice is that audio only comes out of the built-in speakers (can't figure out how to route it to the headphone jack).

I'm downloading the Half-Life 2 demo right now. That'll be the real acid test for gamers thinking of switching...
  • Reply 31 of 40
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

Correct me if I'm wrong... But didn't Jobs say specifically that Apple wouldn't be supporting Windows at all in his Intel Mac keynote?...

What the heck?!

No. Jobs or Schiller or Joswiak (can't remember exactly who) afterward said that Mac OS X Intel version would not run on other OEM boxes, only Apple boxes. Apple wouldn't stop anyone from running Windows on a Mac, but they're not actually providing support to anyone doing so.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

What the heck?!

Ah, you don't know Jobs like we know Jobs.

When Jobs says that Apple Won't Be Doing Something, he really means that they won't be doing it until he decides that they will be doing it.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    Haaaaa Hooooo LoL. LMAO. Didn't someone just win $14k for developing a very bad way of doing this without video driver support. Maybe Apple should have got this out just a few week earlier and they could have won the money.

I am not too sure this is really that great a news but it does value add to my iMac and I will be now using that for games rather than waiting for a Mac version... but when the Mac versions come out I will be buying them so long as the networking works perfectly coz I do love my Mac.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

I'm downloading the Half-Life 2 demo right now. That'll be the real acid test for gamers thinking of switching...

Just played a round of HL2 at 1440x900 with full detail on my MBP and it ran smoothly. Looks like the ATI drivers Apple is giving out for XP are fully accelerated. I haven't done any framerate checking, but it looks pretty good!
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by ALPICH

Haaaaa Hooooo LoL. LMAO. Didn't someone just win $14k for developing a very bad way of doing this without video driver support. Maybe Apple should have got this out just a few week earlier and they could have won the money.

I am not too sure this is really that great a news but it does value add to my iMac and I will be now using that for games rather than waiting for a Mac version... but when the Mac versions come out I will be buying them so long as the networking works perfectly coz I do love my Mac.

It's funny you mentioned that. I was just thinking the same thing myself.

In fact, I think that's another reason why Apple released this now, instead of waiting until Leopard came out. The other method works, but is dangerous. You can damage your installation, and make it very difficult to get your machine working again. you then have to send it to apple to fix.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Bikertwin, I don't remember, with all of this posting, whether it was in this thread or the other one about Boot Camp, but you asked about XP SP 2 being required to install. The answer is yes.

Also, in response to the question which someone else, I think, asked about NTFS and FAT.

My answer earlier wasn't correct. You CAN create an NTFS partition, but the MAC OS can't read from it if you need to go and get a file from a folder while in OS X.

Here is the Apple page with the FAQ's in case they haven't been seen yet. Scroll down a bit on the page, and click on the blue links.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

I'm cross posting this in the other thread. I know we're not supposed to do that, but in this case I think it's important.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

No. I used to run Windows 2000 from a 120gb IBM drive in one single FAT 32 partition.

I'm glad those days are over! Whine ... crash ... beep ... whine ... hang ... cuss ... reset ... beep.

Viva Mac! I'll be sticking purely to OS X but if I was a big gamer or a sysadmin I'd be doing a happy dance for Boot Camp. Very fitting name by the way.

PS: for those worried about needing XP SP2:

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Free and easy.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

No. I used to run Windows 2000 from a 120gb IBM drive in one single FAT 32 partition.

I'm glad those days are over! Whine ... crash ... beep ... whine ... hang ... cuss ... reset ... beep.

Viva Mac! I'll be sticking purely to OS X but if I was a big gamer or a sysadmin I'd be doing a happy dance for Boot Camp. Very fitting name by the way.

PS: for those worried about needing XP SP2:

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Free and easy.

But, from a 32GB partition.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Also, in response to the question which someone else, I think, asked about NTFS and FAT.

My answer earlier wasn't correct. You CAN create an NTFS partition, but the MAC OS can't read from it if you need to go and get a file from a folder while in OS X.

I created an NTFS partition and you can read from it, you just can't write to it.

I know Linux has had the same problem for years (NTFS write support was always marked as "experimental"), and only recently has that changed. I'm guessing Apple devs have been taking cues from the Linux kernel source and will likely have full NTFS support in Leopard.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

I created an NTFS partition and you can read from it, you just can't write to it.

I know Linux has had the same problem for years (NTFS write support was always marked as "experimental"), and only recently has that changed. I'm guessing Apple devs have been taking cues from the Linux kernel source and will likely have full NTFS support in Leopard.

Yeah, I know, I already corrected that a while ago. I didn't say what I should have. I meant that you couldn't USE the partition the way you could FAT.