Microsoft plans wireless iPod rival by Christmas

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft will start selling a wireless digital music and video player to compete with Apple Computer's iPod by Christmas, Reuters is reporting.

Sources close to the matter told the news organization that Microsoft has been touting the device to record companies in the last few weeks.

The new player will reportedly let users download music and videos over the air, a feature that could give it an edge over the iPod.

Microsoft has also been showing a software package similar to iTunes.

According to the report, the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant plans to build a digital ecosystem similar to Apple's iPod + iTunes model, in which it controls all the technology.

Sources told Reuters that record companies should begin receiving prototypes to test in the coming weeks and that Microsoft plans to throw "significant marketing dollars behind the launch."

In a report last month, Reuters cited sources in saying Microsoft was laying the groundwork to compete against Apple's iPod digital music players and iTunes service with "an entertainment device that plays videos and music."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPod rival makes a lot more sense than iPod killler.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    ashnazgashnazg Posts: 6member
    I really hope this thing with Microsoft is a huge flop. Apple is one of the few companies that doesn't need competition to stay innovative.

I must admit, I am a bit worried about the whole thing. Maybe I shouldn't be? Microsoft just has way too much money to throw around and I'm afraid too many people will buy into the huge marketing effort Microsoft is sure to put forth.

I hope Apple has some great stuff in the works for the 6th gens...
  • Reply 3 of 107
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Microsoft today pre-announced the coming soon, soon to be released in beta, iPod killer, iVista.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ashnazg

I really hope this thing with Microsoft is a huge flop. Apple is one of the few companies that doesn't need competition to stay innovative.

I must admit, I am a bit worried about the whole thing. Maybe I shouldn't be? Microsoft just has way too much money to throw around and I'm afraid too many people will buy into the huge marketing effort Microsoft is sure to put forth.

I hope Apple has some great stuff in the works for the 6th gens...

If the big guns are out now, Apple will simply move faster.

From the article:

"Sony had a similar approach. They owned content, devices, software and an online store and it hasn't enjoyed nearly the success Apple has," he said. "It's also about how you execute the plan."

Well, then... we've got nothing to worry about...
  • Reply 5 of 107
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    They'll get this out by Christmas, but Vista won't be ready till the New Year?

If this is true, I look at the bright side in that Apple will have a competitor for music, but it seems that its competitor for operating systems has signaled its last hurrah on that front.

Windows is dead. Long live Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Apple is one of the few companies that doesn't need competition to stay innovative.

Wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Buying music right to your player? Sounds GREAT!

Except...

* There goes your battery life

* And/or the thing gets bulkier and heavier for battery and antenna

* You probably have to pay something for the communications service involved (rather than just using your home ISP)

* You can't browse and sort results, with album art, columns of details, etc., on a tiny screen as well as you can on a computer's large screen

* You can't enter artist/title names to shop for on a handheld device as easily as you can with a real keyboard

* You can't manage and edit and organize your collection as well on a handheld device as you can with a mouse--unless you have a stylus adding bulk and ready to be lost (but no matter how bulky, the screen will still be smaller than iTunes on a computer)

* Your new music is now arriving in two places (assuming you still buy CDs or use download services)--rather than the simplicity of always sending new music directly to your computer which is your master library

* What about burning CDs?

* More complexity is not always a good addition to your music experience

* Would the quality be reduced, or would the arrival of the file just be slow?

* Is having to worry about finding a signal and signal strength and interruptions a good thing for shopping?

* You still have to plug in to charge anyway, which takes longer than synching your latest downloads

* Can't you wait until you get home? Is this really a "problem" consumers want solved?

* It still won't have Apple ease-of-use (or style or mindshare)

* Nearly every time poor Microsoft gets press exposure for it, the iPod and iTunes will be mentioned too--free mindshare for the competitor, and often in the tone of Microsoft copying Apple and playing catch-up (not the best kind or PR in the Vista vs. Leopard age)

* It will either be designed separately from the software and service (which puts it at a disadvantage compared to the well-integrated iPod + iTunes) or else it will be competing with services from Microsoft's allies

* The hardware will be competing with Microsoft's allies regardless.

* If you have to have DRM, I'd rather mine didn't come from Microsoft.

* It probably won't run on Mac, yet Microsoft will talk about "choice."

Otherwise, it sounds great

Even if Apple came out with such a service/device, many of the same problems would still apply.

But we don't know what will really be released: something else--like streaming satellite radio--I can see having its place. Still too bulky for me, but a streaming digital music subscription would have its uses. Maybe Microsoft is creating Sirius or FM with more choice? (Or with less?)
  • Reply 8 of 107
    always one step behind waiting for an idea.

Go Microsoft!
  • Reply 9 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As far as I know, no one has seen how their "system" works, so although nagromme makes an excellent bunch of points, these points assume a lot about the way "wireless" works in Microsoft's configuration.

Since MS can't keep a secret, we'll all know soon enough what it means to Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Apple is one of the few companies that doesn't need competition to stay innovative.

Right.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Except...

* You probably have to pay something for the communications service involved (rather than just using your home ISP)

* You can't browse and sort results, with album art, columns of details, etc., on a tiny screen as well as you can on a computer's large screen

* You can't enter artist/title names to shop for on a handheld device as easily as you can with a real keyboard

* You can't manage and edit and organize your collection as well on a handheld device as you can with a mouse--unless you have a stylus adding bulk and ready to be lost (but no matter how bulky, the screen will still be smaller than iTunes on a computer)

* Your new music is now arriving in two places (assuming you still buy CDs or use download services)--rather than the simplicity of always sending new music directly to your computer which is your master library

* Is having to worry about finding a signal and signal strength and interruptions a good thing for shopping?

* You still have to plug in to charge anyway, which takes longer than synching your latest downloads

* Can't you wait until you get home? Is this really a "problem" consumers want solved?

* Nearly every time poor Microsoft gets press exposure for it, the iPod and iTunes will be mentioned too--free mindshare for the competitor, and often in the tone of Microsoft copying Apple and playing catch-up (not the best kind or PR in the Vista vs. Leopard age)

* It will either be designed separately from the software and service (which puts it at a disadvantage compared to the well-integrated iPod + iTunes) or else it will be competing with services from Microsoft's allies

Even if Apple came out with such a service/device, many of the same problems would still apply.

But we don't know what will really be released... : something else--like streaming satellite radio--I can see having its place. Still too bulky for me, but a streaming digital music subscription would have its uses. Maybe Microsoft is creating Sirius or FM with more choice? (Or with less?)

But we don't know what will really be released...

Yet somehow you managed to go on and on, pointing out hypothetical flaws in a product none of us know anything about.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    so how do you charge it?
  • Reply 13 of 107
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    several members some months ago suggested a BT wifi ipod with full screen and touch controls i think apple already has plans for this since they know they must keep up the pressure and keep their customer base. there is a huge install base that won't work with MS sooooooo why have two devices and plans. hmmmm maybe it will only really compete with non apple players including sony ....so we are looking again at two worlds the MS and Apple world. people are embracing apple.

here is my question if it's wireless including wifi then what about virus protection. if it's any part of IE or windows there are already bunch of virus's that will also run on this MS unit.

it just reinforces why i minimize my MS exposure.....worms, virus, attacks it also goes with their smartphones as well.

it won't grow unless they can address the real world, simple consumer issues.

as soon as it's out it will have a music virus attack8)

i know everyone wants an iphone but if apple has an ipod with wifi and bt, it could have a skype like product built in or part of .mac. hmmmm i think i will have a wonderful Christmas

hey will it play in france???
  • Reply 14 of 107
    ok, so i looked at the title of this article...and i was like oh (#*@$$@&_) but, then i read THIS-

Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Except...

But we don't know what will really be released: something else--like streaming satellite radio--I can see having its place. Still too bulky for me, but a streaming digital music subscription would have its uses. Maybe Microsoft is creating Sirius or FM with more choice? (Or with less?)

considering that is all true, i think it will be like verizon's songs-on-your-phone service (you know, where you can download full songs via whatever network it is?) that never really caught on, so if microsoft had a wireless download service, throw that out the window. and seriously, knowing apple, they'll beat anything microsoft can throw at them =]

MAC POWER!
  • Reply 15 of 107
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    MS should just make their own "do everything" WINCE device that focuses on being a music player at a price-point that it attractive to consumers.

Unfortunately, consumers like the WINCE stuff, and a well-integrated music player with an iTunes compliment would be good for the market.

Hopefully it would also put enough pressure on Apple to come out with the iNewton...

We'll see. Christams season for Microsoft is March, right?
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Vaporware.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    keymacerkeymacer Posts: 15member
    Microsoft's response to the iPod .....

OrigamiMusic?

2 months later, news agencies report on Microsoft's newest, "worst flop ever!!"
  • Reply 18 of 107
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Nice post, Nagromme !
  • Reply 19 of 107
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    The mPod (or some such spectacularly unoriginal name) will probably "phone home" several times a day and tell MicroShaft how many songs of questionable origin are loaded on the device and forwards your GPS coordinates to the RIAA and the local authorities. GULP!
  • Reply 20 of 107
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    MS Laser Wifi wPod Pro 2007 Media Center Edition.