Microsoft plans wireless iPod rival by Christmas

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

you're right. WiFi is the best, of course.

But it really sucks power.

Yup true - I tend to only turn Wifi on when I'm attached to the power (suits me with a wireless network at home, and not many wifis in Belfast anyhow), and use bluetooth outside the house without noticeable power loss.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
  • Reply 103 of 107
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

Argo. Like to see it operate.

http://portableaudio.engadget.com/20...-media-player/

This article (below) about the Argo project at Technology News says:

"Microsoft traditionally has been leery of the device market. Xbox is the one successful exception."

Xbox? Successful? With huge losses? Really? I'd like to know their definition of "success." I wouldn't call the Xbox project a success - MAYBE the 360 in a few years, but definitely not the Xbox.

And the whole Argo project has been given to the Xbox team? Scary...

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/51691.html
  • Reply 104 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by jamezog

[B]This article (below) about the Argo project at Technology News says:

"Microsoft traditionally has been leery of the device market. Xbox is the one successful exception."

Xbox? Successful? With huge losses? Really? I'd like to know their definition of "success." I wouldn't call the Xbox project a success - MAYBE the 360 in a few years, but definitely not the Xbox.

Yep, a few more successes like that and Microsoft could be out of business. Okay, I'll admit they have done fairly well in the US market--although still a distant second. But their Japanese experience has been terrible.

Microsoft successes tend to come from their ability to out-price and outlast their competitors. It worked better when the PC market was exploding, but investors seem to have a little less patience with the losses these days. But MS has a good hype machine, as you can see from the excitement this leak has caused.

Still, nothing I've heard or seen in these articles is particularly inspiring. Or hard to replicate.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jamezog

Well, keep in mind that M$ moved their Macintosh software developers under the Xbox umbrella. This happened back at the end of 2005 and seems darkly suspicious. I mean... I personally could care less if Microsoft drops Office for the Mac, but it seems that they may be tapping these guys for work on the IBM/Sony PowerPC chip derivative used in the Xbox and for interface work (hopefully - for their own good) on this new Microsoft Zen... I mean Zune.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

Argo. Like to see it operate.

http://portableaudio.engadget.com/20...-media-player/

Hmmm, one of the few ipod rivals that actually looks kinda sexy.
  • Reply 107 of 107
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

You're an apologist if you don't think Apple should add a radio and a mic (and ability to record radio) to iPods. I think people aren't so stupid they can't handle using a goddamn radio. Or mic. I mean are you kidding? Damnit I waited all COLLEGE!!!! By the time I'm in grad/law school they BETTER have recording. And I don't mean some 8khz tacked on garbage, I mean a built in mic, and a mic jack, and recording straight to AAC or HE-AAC. Definitely wouldn't jack cost up much, and if MS or other competitors seriously challenge the iPod it WILL need to add these features, among others. At some point, features do matter. Especially ones like those that are right in line with the iPod. I'm not saying I want the 6th gen to make me sandwiches. I just want to record lectures and radio, and I bet a lot of other people do too.

I suppose I'm an apologist then.

I did my degree using a 3rd Gen iPod and a plug-in mic - it was fine for what I needed. When I graduated I sold the plug-in as I haven't had a need for it since. If I end up doing a Masters degree I'll buy another Mic.

I don't need the feature clutter. Radio's a bloody waste of time - I picked up a satellite radio receiver for my car as I positively hate pulling up to the lights and getting nothing but #S&$#TAT@#IC.

NPR may be the best thing since sliced bread for you in the states. The CBC is wonderful for us up here.

THEY PODCAST.

If you need the features the iPod is modular enough to let you plug them in. As I don't require the features, I don't want them a) adding bulk b) draining battery or c) interrupting the design of the unit. It doesn't need extra holes, antennas, inches or ounces.