Wi-Fi seen limiting battery life on MS iPod rival

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft's plot to use Wi-Fi capabilities in order to advantage its upcoming digital media player over the iPod could have an adverse effect on the player's battery life, one Wall Street analyst says.

"We believe the biggest issue [...] is that Wi-Fi power requirements are still quite steep and so we are skeptical that battery life will be strong on these Microsoft portable media players," American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu wrote in a note to clients on Monday.

Just before the weekend, Microsoft in a statement confirmed months of speculation by revealing that it plans a suite of hardware and software products, called "Zune," which will be positioned against Apple's iPod + iTunes franchise later this year.

While Microsoft declined to offer specifics of the products, some analysts claim to have confirmed with the company that its media player device would pack Wi-Fi capabilities, allowing it to download content wirelessly.

Similar portable devices of slightly larger proportions have recently hit the market with Wi-Fi capabilities, but at the expense of battery life. "In our analysis, a Sony PSP lasts only about 45 minutes when Wi-Fi is turned on," Wu told clients.

Wu also believes Microsoft's Zune products could tarnish its reputation amongst several partners already battling Apple's iPod dominance.

"We believe the biggest issue with Microsoft's entrance into the portable media space is that [it] puts it direct competition with its partners, all of whom support Microsoft's Windows Media format," he said. "While the focus is on Apple, we believe this move will likely have a much larger competitive impact on Creative, SanDisk, Sony, Samsung, iRiver, Archos, and others."

It also remains to be seen whether Microsoft can create a pleasant, seamless user experience like that of Apple's iPod and whether it can do so profitably. In his note to clients, Wu pointed out that while most view Microsoft's Xbox gaming effort as a success, it has been a financial failure that has cost the company and its shareholders billions in losses.

"If it were any company other than Microsoft -- who can afford to lose billions and price below cost -- we believe the Xbox would have been shuttered due to its high unprofitability," the analyst said. "We believe Microsoft's effort in portable media will likely result in similar economics."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ...unless the Wi-Fi capability is for quick, lower powered tasks. Like beaming a tune to someone else's "Zune"-Pod (Lord, I hate that name)...
  • Reply 2 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Wireless for portable media player file transfer doesn't really make much sense to me. As noted, there's the power issue. The thing has to be recharged somehow, and the time to exchange files is when it is docked, which also recharges. Wireless for cordless headphones does make sense to me though, that is lower power because it doesn't need to go farther than a couple meters at most, 1m or less would be typical.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Dude, Where's My Zune?
  • Reply 4 of 101
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

"We believe the biggest issue [...] is that Wi-Fi power requirements are still quite steep and so we are skeptical that battery life will be strong on these Microsoft portable media players."

"We believe the biggest issue with Microsoft's entrance into the portable media space is that puts it direct competition with its partners, all of whom support Microsoft's Windows Media format..."

Er, just how many "biggest issues" are there? No, wait, this is the biggest issue! No, wait, this is the biggest issue!

The issues mentioned sound perfectly reasonable -- definitely MS has its work cut out for it -- but I'd prefer to hear a Zune critique from a critic who's a little... ah, less invested in Apple's success, as Wu is.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    I love it when Lil' Bill tries to get his horse into the race when the trophy is already on someone else's mantel (he's done this before...remember)
  • Reply 6 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I can't see how whatever arrangement MS and/or its partners might make with the music industry would allow for "beaming" songs between players, so I would think the functionality would be limited to downloads and PC syncing.

Which, as has been said, doesn't seem to offer much of an advantage over firewire/USB, except for the ability to purchase and download music while "on the go", in the manner of cell phones.

Trouble being, WiFi ubiquity is nothing like the cell network, so how much "cooler" would it be to be able to download songs in your house (which you can already do) and at the odd hot spot?

And how long do you think hot spots are going to tolerate massive increases in bandwidth usage if a bunch of Zune owners start hanging out and downloading music? Or, god help them all, video?

As far as some kind of scenario in which you move various content wirelessly between your various MS devices that you have-- typical MS "vaguely cool sounding while pragmatically pointless" idea.

Remember "Origami"? And that nice video with attractive young people doing "computerish" things up trees and down valleys and on the beach and over the hill? That's really set the market on fire, hasn't it?
  • Reply 7 of 101
    Actually Lil'Bill is going to get the trophy. He jumps in with wireless a true competitor for the ipod bam. He can win. Wireless is meant to listen to you buddies songs right next to you. Not so much to download songs. Could be fun. Oh yeah, who actually saw the device with the wavering battery life. This articles title is a complete farce. Lack of journalistic moral.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    M$ has to lots of $ I think

Wifi will soon or later also come in the iPod

it will be a concurrent for the ipod

M$ will maybe will make media-player better compatibel with Zune than an other mp3 device. Mediaplayer is still used by a lot of people. And a lot of people will use the mp3-device that works with the media-player software.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I can't see how whatever arrangement MS and/or its partners might make with the music industry would allow for "beaming" songs between players, so I would think the functionality would be limited to downloads and PC syncing.

Which, as has been said, doesn't seem to offer much of an advantage over firewire/USB, except for the ability to purchase and download music while "on the go", in the manner of cell phones.

Trouble being, WiFi ubiquity is nothing like the cell network, so how much "cooler" would it be to be able to download songs in your house (which you can already do) and at the odd hot spot?

And how long do you think hot spots are going to tolerate massive increases in bandwidth usage if a bunch of Zune owners start hanging out and downloading music? Or, god help them all, video?

DIfficult to believe this functionality would be offered without an ulterior motive...
  • Reply 10 of 101
    mazolamazola Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Your answer might be here: 'Off-line Economies for Digital Media'.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Remember "Origami"? And that nice video with attractive young people doing "computerish" things up trees and down valleys and on the beach and over the hill? That's really set the market on fire, hasn't it?

It is way too soon to say. They aren't even "on" the market yet, that I'm aware. I think some units might be available this year, some, early next year.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Er, just how many "biggest issues" are there? No, wait, this is the biggest issue! No, wait, this is the biggest issue!

The issues mentioned sound perfectly reasonable -- definitely MS has its work cut out for it -- but I'd prefer to hear a Zune critique from a critic who's a little... ah, less invested in Apple's success, as Wu is.

One of the reasons why I didn't buy the HTC 6700 phone was because the WiFi used up so much battery power, that reviewers, and users, said that they just kept it turned off. If you keep it turned off, what's the point? The talk battery life with it turned off is about 4+ hours. With it on, if you get one hour, good luck. I bought the Treo 700p when it came out. The other reason I didn't buy it is because windows mobile 5 still sucks power itself, and it's slow, and crashes too much.

If any of that is on this new product, they will be a problem for MS to overcome. Remembering to switch WiFi on and off again was such a problem for users of the phone to remember, that a number of people turned it in to their providers for other phones.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

Actually Lil'Bill is going to get the trophy. He jumps in with wireless a true competitor for the ipod bam. He can win. Wireless is meant to listen to you buddies songs right next to you. Not so much to download songs. Could be fun. Oh yeah, who actually saw the device with the wavering battery life. This articles title is a complete farce. Lack of journalistic moral.

I doubt that very much. People will want to trade songs, if possible. You know, "I'll buy these two, and give them to you, if you buy those two, and give them to me."

I just can't see the RIAA going for that. And WiFi will still suck the life out of any player.

Besides, you can do any of that sharing with Bluetooth 2. Which Apple uses extensively now.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR sounds much more reasonable to me in this context.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by mazola

Your answer might be here: 'Off-line Economies for Digital Media'.

That's all very well and good. But, how many people will be SELLING their songs to one another, as opposed to GIVING their songs to one another?

How many people will want to BUY songs from someone else rather than getting them for FREE?

This is the entire problem, isn't it?
  • Reply 16 of 101
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

Actually Lil'Bill is going to get the trophy. He jumps in with wireless a true competitor for the ipod bam. He can win.

Why do you think Lil' Bill is in the race now? He knows damn good and well that Steve is on the verge of wi-fi with the iPod. The difference between Bill & Steve is that Steve usually keeps his mouth shut until he has it in his hand!

Once the wi-fi hurdle is leapt, it may be awhile between major innovations.

And surely no one thinks the record labels are just gonna roll over for Lil' Bill. Free songs to trade? come on, they are already P.O.'d thinking that Steve isn't paying them enough!
  • Reply 17 of 101
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Sharing of songs wirelessly will never happen... I mean, you can't even pull songs off the iPod onto your computer without the help of 3rd party programs. There is no way the RIAA will support songs being passed around freely. Before you know it, there will be planned gatherings of hundreds of people at colleges and such where people can just connect randomly to other users and rack up thousands of songs.

They'll be called ZunePits or Zune Parties.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzDots

Why do you think Lil' Bill is in the race now? He knows damn good and well that Steve is on the verge of wi-fi with the iPod. The difference between Bill & Steve is that Steve usually keeps his mouth shut until he has it in his hand!

And surely no one thinks the record labels are just gonna roll over for Lil' Bill. Free songs to trade? come on, they are already P.O.'d thinking that Steve isn't paying them enough!

You forget to refer to Gates as "Lil' Bill" in your third sentence.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yeah, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR sounds much more reasonable to me in this context.

Bluetooth 2.0 won't be low power, if and when it ever comes out to spec.

There has been tremendous effort to get ever lower power on Wifi devices, and this usually focuses on the MAC side of things. There are some Wifi products out there that have extremely low power consumption during idle periods, but there's really no way to decrease power usage all that much when the radio needs to be on. This is common of all massively-broadband technologies, a group in which Bluetooth EDR and WirelessUSB are both members.

The best part about all this Zune business is that Apple has been smiling the whole way. It's either foolish exuberance or a sign that they're about to drop a bomb.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzDots

In my personal opinion, the next iPod won't have WiFi. I don't think the market is ready for it yet. Maybe the other players can pave the way for it while being total flops themselves. Then the iPod can come in at the opportune time and offer an innovative solution the other's weren't offering.

But the biggest reason, is that it's NOT like the cell phone network. You need to be in a hotspot for it to work. And there's simply not a lot of those at the moment. And some, you still have to pay for. And those you DON'T have to pay for, there's a welcome screen that loads in your browser and makes you accept terms of use before giving access. Obviously meant for a computer. How do the current WiFi devices work around that? Does anyone know?