**My New LCD iMac 2002 Mock-up**

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

I did this on my iBook wail riding CalTrain to the Mosconi Center yesterday to pick up my MWSF Pass.

It is a very thin LCD that is suspended by 2 stainless steel curveed rolds that alwo you to eligently roll your iMac to the corect angle. A weight inside of the iMac would suport it so it would need a fair amount of presture to move the iMac and it would not rock all over the place. What do you think? :confused:

I would buy one

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    jaydogjaydog Posts: 63member
    Nice job on that. looks like it could be real.

We can all wish cant we?

Or make your own imac. get some plasic paint G4 cube flatscran some snips and do a big ass mod
  • Reply 1 of 49
    It would need Segway-like electronic gyroscopes to keep it in place, but it's pretty cool (the mock-up).

My only quibble: not deep enough for the optical drive to work.

And Steve is a big fan of the Segway......who knows?

SdC

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 49
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    It's a nice design, but totally impossible. As you've drawn it, it wouldn't stay upright.

All the mass appears to be on one side of the point of contact with the table, which means the computer would just fall on its back. Unless, of course, those two balls at the end of the rails were made of chunks of black hole or something else incredibly heavy

Secondly, even if it were perfectly balanced, it would rock back and forth with the slightest breeze or vibration.. Or were you imagining a Segway/Ginger type stabilization mechanism?

Oh, and where does the CD fit once it's inside? Does it sort of roll up?

Sorry, cute design, but needs a lot more thought.

-robo
  • Reply 4 of 49
    shoot.. suckful beat me to it.. The Segway comment and all.

Damn!

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 49
    What app did you make that with?
  • Reply 5 of 49
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Very nice design (as usual), Mike.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    you misspelled "Think Different"... heheh, that´s the Michaelm8000 we know and love.

well, the whole thing does look very fragile to me... and those steel thingies resemble....err, i couldn´t even tell, it just looks *weird*!!! :confused:

however, quality of the mockup is great, just as usual
  • Reply 8 of 49
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That would be cool as hell, but, yeah, it's maybe too cool.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>It's a nice design, but totally impossible. As you've drawn it, it wouldn't stay upright.

All the mass appears to be on one side of the point of contact with the table, which means the computer would just fall on its back. Unless, of course, those two balls at the end of the rails were made of chunks of black hole or something else incredibly heavy

Secondly, even if it were perfectly balanced, it would rock back and forth with the slightest breeze or vibration.. Or were you imagining a Segway/Ginger type stabilization mechanism?

Oh, and where does the CD fit once it's inside? Does it sort of roll up?

Sorry, cute design, but needs a lot more thought.

-robo</strong><hr></blockquote>

IF you worked at apple nothing would ever be cool. You can not just look at the outside of a desing and then look at what you know and deside wether it would work or not.

I'll bet you a ton of money if you gave this desing to the apple engeneers they could make it work.

If "IT" can stand up and iMac can

• Reply 10 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleCello:

<strong>What app did you make that with?</strong><hr></blockquote>

PhotoShop 6.0
  • Reply 10 of 49
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

I'll bet you a ton of money if you gave this desing to the apple engeneers they could make it work.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

They can make almost anything work.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    DAMN you people ARE FAST! and i thought i´d be the first one to reply!!!!

it looks like the boards have become a 24/7 hangout for some members....!

i seriously hope you do take some days off after mwsf!
  • Reply 13 of 49
    PS 6. Nice.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: AppleCello ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleCello:

<strong>What app do you use to do the models?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I said. PhotoSHop 6.0
  • Reply 15 of 49
    double whopper... sorry.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: dr. zoidberg ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 49
    It could work now, if the contact point to the ground were under the center of gravity. Stretch out the wires supports to a longer 'bottom of a rocking chair' arc, and put the contact point under the center of gravity, and your are in business!

SdC
  • Reply 17 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>It could work now, if the contact point to the ground were under the center of gravity. Stretch out the wires supports to a longer 'bottom of a rocking chair' arc, and put the contact point under the center of gravity, and your are in business!

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

BOOM!!!! Told you robo!

• Reply 18 of 49
    While it would be VERY hard if not impossible to get to work, it DOES look pretty cool... My other qualm is, there is not enough depth to put the cd in..
  • Reply 19 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:

<strong>While it would be VERY hard if not impossible to get to work, it DOES look pretty cool... My other qualm is, there is not enough depth to put the cd in..</strong><hr></blockquote>

There would be the room for a CD. And if not you cound always place the CD on the side on at an angle in the front.

• Reply 20 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

BOOM!!!! Told you robo!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm.. well if you read my post a bit more carefully, you'd see that suckful's idea is the same as mine. I simply said that the center of gravity would have to be moved, unless the ends of the 'prongs' (feet) were extremely heavy, which is another solution (though an unlikely one).

Suckful just phrased it in a more encouraging tone

-robo