Apple unveils Airline Power Adapter for MacBooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Alongside the introduction of Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro notebooks on Tuesday, Apple Computer quietly unveiled a new power cord accessory that makes it more convenient for air travelers to keep their Apple notebooks powered-on during flights.

The $59 Apple MagSafe Airline Power Adapter plugs it into an airline seat power port, allowing a MacBook or MacBook Pro to maintain power for the full duration of a flight.

"Now you'll never lose your work or interrupt a DVD movie because your battery runs out at 35,000 feet," Apple said. "The MagSafe Airline Power Adapter will keep your MacBook or MacBook Pro juiced throughout your flight."

The "sleek and light" connector works with in-seat DC power ports available on many commercial airliners -- both EmPower ports and 20mm ports with the included adapter. Apple recommends that users check with their airline regarding availability of in-seat power ports ahead of flight.

Like the standard MagSafe power adapter shipping with each new MacBook and MacBook Pro, the magnetic DC plug on the airline adapter both ensures a tight connection and enables a clean break from the power port if there is undue tension -- preventing a MacBook from being pulled off of an airline tray table if someone accidentally yanks the cord.

Although the MagSafe Airline Power Adapter provides power to a MacBook, it does not charge the battery, Apple said. Despite some connector resemblance, its also not compatible with automobile power ports.

Each MagSafe Airline Power Adapter ships with an EmPower connector, 20mm adapter and user guide.

Also Tuesday, Apple introduced its new MacBook Pro notebook lineup, which features Intel Corp.'s Core 2 Duo (Merom) processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    This nicely addresses the issue of the asploding batterys.8) airlines can settle down now.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    That's really strange. If you search for Airline on the Apple Store, you find that for $10 more, you can get one of these:

http://us.kensington.com/html/10359.html

It's not quite as elegant, but I believe it charges your battery (the Apple one only powers the MB, does not charge the battery). And it also works in a car, which the Apple one does not.

Why the heck would I buy the Apple one instead of this? Am I missing something?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    I think that's the point. Because it doesn't charge the battery, it shouldn't cause any overheating (exploding!) batteries. Of course, is the airline really going to go around and check who is using which power supply?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Now, if Apple could just start an airline so you could know with certainty if you'll have an in-seat power source available to you.

I can't believe the airlines are so behind on this. And now Boeing is taking a step BACKWARDS with the end of Connexion.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe

That's really strange. If you search for Airline on the Apple Store, you find that for $10 more, you can get one of these:

It's not quite as elegant, but I believe it charges your battery (the Apple one only powers the MB, does not charge the battery). And it also works in a car, which the Apple one does not.

The airlines want you to take the battery out. That's what this is for.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe

one reason i can give you is that, while this does not charge MB battery, it is a lot less bulkier than Kensington one. Kensington one requires you to hook adapter on it; Apple one works without one. less dangling of wires.

of course, that probably is not the strongest reason to get one.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

The airlines want you to take the battery out. That's what this is for.

So the Apple one powers the computer directly where the kensington one powers the battery which then powers the compuer?

If that's true, it's a shame that the kensington adapter doesn't have that extra (needed if the airline does indeed make you remove your battery) feature.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

So the Apple one powers the computer directly where the kensington one powers the battery which then powers the compuer?

If that's true, it's a shame that the kensington adapter doesn't have that extra (needed if the airline does indeed make you remove your battery) feature.

It seems that way. also, as has been mentioned. the Apple unit is much smaller.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    i have that kensington adapter. just used it on a trip actually. it does work but like someone else said, it's bulky as all get out. you end up leaving it on the floor and under your feet, or you keep it up near you, in which case you have a whole bundle of wires and plugs in your lap. works, but it's not elegant at all.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    This is stupid. There is no way for a power adapter to magically circumvent the power circuit, and there are no separate power sockets labeled 'battery charge' and 'AC only' in any laptop.

It's always the laptop's embedded controller that decides whether the battery will be charged or not, the power brick just provides power — how it's routed inside the laptop is another thing.

That said, there are additional pins on the MagSafe plug which might provide information on the brick's power output to the controller. Now, I remember a thread here about maximum power output on airline sockets being only 75 W, that's 10 W less than the MBP's adapter peak rating. What it meant was when the MBP power brick was plugged in and reached its peak output (i.e. the notebook was on and the battery was being charged at the same time), the circuit breakers came into action so it was effectively impossible to use the laptop while charging the battery on an airplane anyway.

Regardless of whether it's this thing or the exploding battery one, it's the Apple adapter that is crippled, not the Kensington one.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    unveils?

a bit dramatic, don't you think?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj

Now, if Apple could just start an airline so you could know with certainty if you'll have an in-seat power source available to you.

I can't believe the airlines are so behind on this. And now Boeing is taking a step BACKWARDS with the end of Connexion.

Have you seen this?

http://www.seatguru.com/

Steve
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I'm flying United Business to Japan this January, so this is sure to come in handy. I can type up files, watch movies or such while waiting for the long flight to end (9 hours).

Airline websites list amenities for travel, including power ports. But I'd also make a phone call to make sure.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Have you seen this?

http://www.seatguru.com/

Steve

Thanks Steve - that's a great site.

But things happen and you end up on different equipment / flights / airlines than you expected. I was just saying that this many years in to laptops you'd think the in-seat power would be more universal.

It shows the long, long development cycle of commercial aircraft.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sziwan

This is stupid. There is no way for a power adapter to magically circumvent the power circuit, and there are no separate power sockets labeled 'battery charge' and 'AC only' in any laptop.

It's always the laptop's embedded controller that decides whether the battery will be charged or not, the power brick just provides power ? how it's routed inside the laptop is another thing.

Yeah you're right... This is stupid... This product probably doesn't work because you don't understand how Apple designed it.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj

Thanks Steve - that's a great site.

But things happen and you end up on different equipment / flights / airlines than you expected. I was just saying that this many years in to laptops you'd think the in-seat power would be more universal.

It shows the long, long development cycle of commercial aircraft.

It really isn't a matter of aircraft development. Each airline gets their own customized versions. There are many options offered. This is just one of them. They can choose to get them, or not.

Every few years they upgrade the interiors, and can choose new options.

Look to the airlines for this.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Why can't this charge/power the laptop in the car .
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

Why can't this charge/power the laptop in the car .

Besides the fact that EmPower is 15VDC where as a car's is 12 which is easily overcome, ther most important fact is that the car's power is unregulated, the voltages could fluctuate from 10-14 volts easily, and without regulation circuits, this would fry your MBP.

This is also why you can't just plug a motherboard 12VDC in straight from the car's battery, but there are easily plenty of car power supplies for computer out there that regulates the voltage.

If you're looking to plug your magbook into your car, your easies option is to get an inverter to get 110V AC wall socket and plug your regular power brick into there.

But for the more adventurous, this adapter provides a cheap source for magsafe connector that you can use to make your own power adaptor....
  • Reply 19 of 23
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sziwan

It's always the laptop's embedded controller that decides whether the battery will be charged or not, the power brick just provides power ? how it's routed inside the laptop is another thing.

That said, there are additional pins on the MagSafe plug which might provide information on the brick's power output to the controller. Now, I remember a thread here about maximum power output on airline sockets being only 75 W, that's 10 W less than the MBP's adapter peak rating. What it meant was when the MBP power brick was plugged in and reached its peak output (i.e. the notebook was on and the battery was being charged at the same time), the circuit breakers came into action so it was effectively impossible to use the laptop while charging the battery on an airplane anyway.

Regardless of whether it's this thing or the exploding battery one, it's the Apple adapter that is crippled, not the Kensington one.

You have no idea what you're talking about and yet you spout off like everyone else is crazy.

It doesn't charge the battery because it cannot charge the battery. It does not supply the computer with enough power to do so. This is essentially like how apple says that a macbook pro can use a macbook's adapter but it won't charge the battery. This is because the macbook has a much smaller power brick than a macbook pro and can't supply it with the necessary power to charge it while running.

I know this first hand. At my girlfriend's house I use her macbook's adapter to run my macbook pro if it runs out, it works fine but doesn't charge the battery, unless I turn it off, because of the power brick size.

The same is true for the airline adapter. It doesn't charge the machine because of it's lack of power brick, it does not supply the computer with enough power to both run and charge at once. It MAY be able to charge when off, but no one will use it like this and it's complete lack of brick might make that impossible anyways.

Calm down, it's not a secret science.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leobag

unveils?

a bit dramatic, don't you think?

exactly!