Briefly: new .Mac webmail, DVD Studio Pro, NASDAQ

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has launched its new .Mac webmail interface and also issued an update to its DVD authoring application. Meanwhile, the NASDAQ has agreed to continue listing the company on its index based on certain conditions.

Mail.app-styled .Mac webmail now live

Apple on Thursday evening officially launched its revamped .Mac webmail interface, first previewed and covered by AppleInsider last month.

"Introducing the next generation of webmail. With its smart use of the latest web technology, the new .Mac webmail will remind you of the Mail application on your desktop," Apple said in a note on its .Mac website. "You'll feel right at home with its simple and elegant interface, drag-and-drop capability, built in Address Book, and more."

.Mac is Apple's Internet service, which packs a suite of applications for email, photo sharing, backups, file synching and more. The service costs $99 per year.

DVD Studio Pro 4.1.1

Also on Thursday evening, Apple released DVD Studio Pro 4.1.1, which addresses an issue with disc layout for DDP and CMF images on Intel-based Macintosh computers.

The 2.3MB update is recommended for all users of DVD Studio Pro 4.1 and later.

NASDAQ grants Apple's request

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Apple said it has received a written notification from the staff of The Nasdaq Stock Market stating that the Nasdaq Listing Qualifications Panel has granted the company’s request for continued listing on market.

In August, the Nasdaq notified the Cupertino, Calif.-based company that it was not in compliance with the filing requirements for continued listing on the index. The non-compliance was the result of a quarterly filing delay stemming from Apple's ongoing stock options scandal.

The Nasdaq said it will continue to list Apple subject to the condition that the company shall file its Form 10-Q for the quarter ended July 1, 2006, and any required restatements, by December 29, 2006.

In the filing, Apple said if unable to file the Form 10-Q by that date, it intends to seek an additional extension of time from the Nasdaq Listing Qualifications Panel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I guess I should be grateful they have improved anything .Mac related, but I'm stumped as to why they're putting so much effort and publicity into web mail when clearly most other areas of .Mac are more neglected. I'm still waiting for my customizable home page.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

I guess I should be grateful they have improved anything .Mac related, but I'm stumped as to why they're putting so much effort and publicity into web mail when clearly most other areas of .Mac are more neglected. I'm still waiting for my customizable home page.

Is it just me or did junk mail filtering on webmail disappear?

Not that I was going to renew anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Junk mail filtering seems to come and go with .Mac. You are right, I have been flooded the past few weeks with crap.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Still no other outgoing server aliases aside from ".Mac" = rather useless.

Where is the web based iCal app?!?! ... or even a way to read-only without a complex URL.

New updates are nice though, especially key commands.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I think there is a junk mail box on the new .Mac mail
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Google's G-mail is far better and free. Apple should step up and provide far greater value to compete with the free services that are around these days. The only really cool thing with .mac is the FTP-like iDisk, and even that function has tons of competition.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Well the two days before they launched the new interface I couldn't send any email messages. And now I see that they don't have the junk mail feature added even though it was in the preview pictures. And as aplnub recently my mac account is getting flooded with the same junk mail every day.

Anyone who is thinking of getting a mac account, I would suggest not getting it and getting something better like your own domain or something free. Very disappointed in the progress .mac has taken. The only reason I keep it now is because so many people know my email address with the mac.com at the end because I have had it for about 3 or 4 years now.

The speed of the idisk is ridiculously slow and lots of times just completely stalls my whole finder.

Very Disappointed in Apple with this. I was expecting a lot more from them.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski

Well the two days before they launched the new interface I couldn't send any email messages. And now I see that they don't have the junk mail feature added even though it was in the preview pictures. And as aplnub recently my mac account is getting flooded with the same junk mail every day.

Anyone who is thinking of getting a mac account, I would suggest not getting it and getting something better like your own domain or something free. Very disappointed in the progress .mac has taken. The only reason I keep it now is because so many people know my email address with the mac.com at the end because I have had it for about 3 or 4 years now.

The speed of the idisk is ridiculously slow and lots of times just completely stalls my whole finder.

Very Disappointed in Apple with this. I was expecting a lot more from them.

Agreed, and I feel sucked in by their once free email. The service is exorbitantly expensive and there's no e-mail only option for those of us who got suckered into to what they said would be "always free e-mail"
  • Reply 9 of 28
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Apple never said e-mail would be always free, and I challenge you to show otherwise. They never promised it.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Fair enough - but it doesn't excuse the fact that there is a demand for .Mac email only accounts. $99 USD for a service someone will use 20% of isn't great value/$.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Google's G-mail. Yahoo's My Yahoo e-mail. Both free. Both pretty good.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I agree with the rest of the posts, .mac is getting horrible. It wasn't much to begin with, but with 5 years (or whatever it's been) worth of time to innovate and expand upon the original idea - they haven't.

My subscription renewal is coming up soon and I'm canceling it for sure. A real letdown indeed. I think they should either scrap the whole thing, or do something incredible with it. There's no way in my opinion that it'll survive as-is for many more years. I can get a free Gmail account, a free xdrive ftp disk with 5gb of space, and the others I can do without.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I like the sync'd email, calenders, address book and iDisk even though there are some bad points to it. I will keep it for life, that is a for sure thing.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

The Nasdaq said it will continue to list Apple subject to the condition that the company shall file its Form 10-Q for the quarter ended July 1, 2006, and any required restatements, by December 29, 2006.

In the filing, Apple said if unable to file the Form 10-Q by that date, it intends to seek an additional extension of time from the Nasdaq Listing Qualifications Panel.

Someone better call a shareholders' meeting ASAP or else APPL stock will be delisted.

When will we see class action lawsuits from defrauded shareholders?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Google's G-mail is far better and free. Apple should step up and provide far greater value to compete with the free services that are around these days.

Adding iCal to .mac, like they did with Mail will win me completely over. I am an avid Google user (Gmail and Gcal), but Apple is so much more zen!!

If only Apple could figure out to create a living community of creative pros ? Maybe they should reinvent the whole homepage concept 8)
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Google's G-mail is far better and free. Apple should step up and provide far greater value to compete with the free services that are around these days. The only really cool thing with .mac is the FTP-like iDisk, and even that function has tons of competition.

Is it possible to set up Mail to read G-Mail email without paying for it? As much as I would like to keep my .mac account I do not think I will be renewing it.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    gmail (email) is free. Last I looked, it was still in "beta" mode and took an "invite" from someone with an account already. But each person with a gmail account has like a hundred "invites" per account I think, so it's nothing hard to get.

If you need one, ask a friend who has gmail already for an invite, or worst case, ask me
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

Is it possible to set up Mail to read G-Mail email without paying for it? As much as I would like to keep my .mac account I do not think I will be renewing it.

That's exactly what I do. I don't pay for it, and I download and view my e-mail with Apple's Mail program. It's great.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Google's G-mail is far better and free.

Gmail is free, but "far better"? Its interface is a joke. That of Yahoo Mail is better, and that of .mac mail is also better.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Yes, but I use it to collect my e-mail only... I use Mail to read it, and it's free. That's what's so great about it.