Matt or Glossy screen?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi guys, im ordering my MBP 15 inch today, cant decide between Matt or Glossy screen?

Any advice? using it mainly to store photos and everyday internet/ general use...

thanks..

ps also, getting generic 15 inch 2.16Ghz, no add ons... should i add anything like extra ram etc? worth the money?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guile99

hi guys, im ordering my MBP 15 inch today, cant decide between Matt or Glossy screen?

Any advice? using it mainly to store photos and everyday internet/ general use...

thanks..

ps also, getting generic 15 inch 2.16Ghz, no add ons... should i add anything like extra ram etc? worth the money?

thanks

I know glare drives me nuts. I've been having that debate too. If I get one I am going to probably do the matte finish.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I made the 'mistake' of buying a MacBook as a holdover until the Core 2 Pro Books came out . The nice thing was though, I was able to 'live' with the glossy screen for a few weeks. I must say I didn't really notice any issues with the screen other than it being absolutely gorgeous! I've ordered my Pro Book with the glossy .
  • Reply 3 of 26
    yeah.. i think most people would opt for the glossy screen but i always feel like im looking at the screen through a plastic reflective sheet! hate glare too..

i went for matte in the end...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    The glare is really much less than you all think it is. I have a glossy Sony LCD for my Mini and it's absolutely wonderful - very easy to clean and makes all the colors just POP.

I wouldn't go any other way with my MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

The glare is really much less than you all think it is. I have a glossy Sony LCD for my Mini and it's absolutely wonderful - very easy to clean and makes all the colors just POP.

I wouldn't go any other way with my MBP.

How is it in an airplane during the day?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Can't say I've taken a desktop monitor on an airplane. It's quite fine upstairs, during the day, in direct sunlight, however.

They're surprisingly tolerable. All sunlight does it cut down on the viewing angle.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

Can't say I've taken a desktop monitor on an airplane. It's quite fine upstairs, during the day, in direct sunlight, however.

They're surprisingly tolerable. All sunlight does it cut down on the viewing angle.

I don't know. I have the itch to order the stock middle config but I'm concerned about the gloss. I need some pictures. I'm telling you...glare is terrible. However, it could be said that perhaps focused glare is is better than washed out glare!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

I don't know. I have the itch to order the stock middle config but I'm concerned about the gloss. I need some pictures. I'm telling you...glare is terrible. However, it could be said that perhaps focused glare is is better than washed out glare!

Ive cancelled my order and changed it to glossy screen!

everyone tells me glare is minimal but the picture qualities are great!
  • Reply 9 of 26
    seeing a MB next to a MPB (matte) in a store.... matte all the way.. the glossy actually maked the MP look very dull in comparison.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I totally disagree.

Glossy just makes the screen pop. Matte screens are nice enough, but once your eyes get used to glossy? Mmm..

And no, it's not like staring at glass.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey

How is it in an airplane during the day?

My work lap-top is glossy and I am not a big fan. Inside its great, but out and about it can be a bummer. I went matte on my MBP C2D, and i have to say I don't see the advantages.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guile99

Ive cancelled my order and changed it to glossy screen!

everyone tells me glare is minimal but the picture qualities are great!

I went with Matte. I didn't like the pictures of the gloss.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    The gloss looks sweet. I had a matte TiBook before, and I'm glad I got the glossy this time.

Then again, my notebooks never see the light of day, they're always inside...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

The gloss looks sweet. I had a matte TiBook before, and I'm glad I got the glossy this time.

Then again, my notebooks never see the light of day, they're always inside...

I go outside sometimes and I also work near large windows at school. I think it would be a real annoyance.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    After using a glossy for a while, going back to matte is like having your corneas rubbed against fine-grain sandpaper.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

After using a glossy for a while, going back to matte is like having your corneas rubbed against fine-grain sandpaper.

That's an interesting notion.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Nice!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I went to the apple store today to buy my MBP and it was a clear decison between glossy and matte. Just go and look at them and you should know right away.

I bought the matte screen...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Is it because you bought a MBP your pockets are empty?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

That's an interesting notion.

Seriously though, people complain about the "glare" on glossy screens. Really, what matte screens are doing is diffusing the glare in such a way that your eyes can't filter it out by depth perception. Matte screens also seem to have a fine sort of iridescent grain to them when you're looking at white on them.