Apple offers developers new build of Leopard operating system

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Tuesday evening released to developers a new pre-release build of its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system, AppleInsider has learned.

The new distribution, labeled Mac OS X 10.5 build 9A321, includes only minor changes and enhancements from build 9A303, which was released last month.

In the accompanying documentation, Apple reportedly warned developers about unresolved Finder crashes when mounting AFP volumes and Active Directory quirks.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker also acknowledged ongoing keyboard navigations glitches in the Dock and Expose. Similarly, a keyboard navigation issues with Spaces sometimes sends users to the unintended workspace.

Since introducing Leopard through a preview in August, Apple has remained relatively mum on when it plans to release the software to market. It has also been waiting on the release of Microsoft's Vista operating system before it divulges several "top secret" features which it has been keeping close at bay.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is widely expected to dish out some of those new features during his keynote presentation at Macworld Expo, which takes place next month in San Francisco, Calif.

For other Leopard news, please AppleInsider's recent report on the system's file recovery tools & Spotlight enhancements, Quicklook & Dashboard changes, new Safari tab & search features, resolution independence, OpenGL & QuickTime improvements, and Safari's anti-phishing measures.

Of course, the initial batch of publicly disclosed Leopard features is available as part of AppleInsider's WWDC Leopard coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Looks like they are polishing up the seeds rather nicely. Of course, these are the known issues in the seeds they are distributing to developers, not internal so any UI or cosmetic changes/updates could have their own issues we are unaware of
  • Reply 2 of 49
    yeah, lets hope we get some more clues as to the new UI
  • Reply 3 of 49
    .... so when does Apple spring all the 'secret' features of Leopard on us?

It seems like these secret features are more of 'bolt' on software and not core pieces of the systemn or are we further away until launch than Macworld, etc.?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc

It seems like these secret features are more of 'bolt' on software and not core pieces of the systemn or are we further away until launch than Macworld, etc.?

Yup MacWorld SF - January 9 is when we will see the "top secret" features of Leopard
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Yup MacWorld SF - January 9 is when we will see the "top secret" features of Leopard

I certainly hope so...Apple can't use the "we don't want the competitors to know what we're doing" excuse anymore...Vista has essentially shipped. If the secret features aren't unveiled Jan 9th, then I'm afraid what we see is what we'll get.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Unless they push Leopard out to June or something.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In the accompanying documentation, Apple reportedly warned developers about unresolved Finder crashes when mounting AFP volumes.

In other words, just like Tiger!
  • Reply 8 of 49
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Unless they push Leopard out to June or something.

Being that a Leopard release date hasn't been announced (except, perhaps, spring 2007), I'm hardpressed to call that 'pushing' the release.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc

Well, I hope its more 'bolt-on' stuff. Its kind of late in the development cycle to be spitting out new under-the-hood features and expect developers to make use of them, and then users get pissed because some new "made for leopard" app doesn't use some nifty new OS feature. Or the developers delay the product to use that nifty new feature, and users get pissed because the software isn't available yet.

Also, while those under-the-hood things sound great to developers and geeks (take CoreAudio and CoreVideo, etc), its hard to sell to the masses (Leopard, now with Core Smell and Core Taste!), whereas some bolt-on crap (like Dashboard or Mail) or UI changes are visual and easy for a user to understand.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

[snip]... In the accompanying documentation, Apple reportedly warned developers about unresolved Finder crashes when mounting AFP volumes and Active Directory quirks...[snip]

Yea - what's new?! OS X's networking leaves a lot to be desired. And Active Directory quirks - HA, that's an understatement
  • Reply 11 of 49
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer

Being that a Leopard release date hasn't been announced (except, perhaps, spring 2007), I'm hardpressed to call that 'pushing' the release.

That was worded only in response to those expecting to see Leopard in Jan.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

Yea - what's new?! OS X's networking leaves a lot to be desired. And Active Directory quirks - HA, that's an understatement

I just hope they fix the issue that causes the entire machine to freeze up if it can't find a network.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for new Finder or UI.

Some of the new stuff could simply be additional features linked to the announced-but-not-well-understood iTV, or rumored iPhone, or rumored "iTablet" or "MacBook Thin". And if these items are shown on Jan 9, then the Leopard stuff will be shown with it.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for new Finder or UI.

At this point in the game, I think you are right, but I'm going to be very disappointed as Finder is the one program that really needs a good overhaul.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

...Finder is the one program that really needs a good overhaul.

You got that right!

It's time for an overhaul!
  • Reply 16 of 49
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

You got that right!

It's time for an overhaul!

One of the most annoying "features" of the Finder is the width of the Sidebar. Whenever you open a movie DVD or mount a disk image with a long name, the sidebar becomes very wide. And every window has a different sidebar width. I prefer to keep the sidebar very narrow, and it is annoying when I have to go and manually resize every sidebar whenever I insert a new disk. The Finder should allow you to set the maximum width of the sidebar so it does not grow to cover the entire window.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar

One of the most annoying "features" of the Finder is the width of the Sidebar. Whenever you open a movie DVD or mount a disk image with a long name, the sidebar becomes very wide. And every window has a different sidebar width. I prefer to keep the sidebar very narrow, and it is annoying when I have to go and manually resize every sidebar whenever I insert a new disk. The Finder should allow you to set the maximum width of the sidebar so it does not grow to cover the entire window.

Do we really want to get into "what's wrong with the Finder discussion"? This could take awhile.

Cons:

- Does not keep global settings (view setting, size, location on screen)

- freezes when it can't find previously attached shares

- Inabilty to easily delete Network shortcuts.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

Do we really want to get into "what's wrong with the Finder discussion"? This could take awhile.

Let's make it easier on people. Let's list all the things RIGHT with the Finder.

Anyone? Hello! Hey, why is it so quiet out there?
  • Reply 19 of 49
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    the Finder does one thing right: it opens when double-clicking on the Macintosh HD icon.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    sorry, it's another finder annoyance, it should open the finder when you drag files and hover over the finder icon, just like how it opens the finder if you drag files and hover over macintoshhd or any other folder/disk.

stu