Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, up 28%.

But the year before, they were up almost 40% year over year.

In comparison, I read elsewhere that the PC market expanded 3%, so it's looking pretty good, I think.

Still, it appears that it only registers as a 0.2% in worldwide market share increase.
  • Reply 42 of 125
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Mac sales per calendar year.

2004 - 3.507

2005 - 4.742 __ +35.20%

2006 - 5.655 __ +19.25%

IDC all PC sales

2004 - 178.85

2005 - 208.50 __ +16.57%

2006 - 229.5* __ +10.1%

* Last quarter estimated

Bottom Line: Mac growth slower in 2006 than 2005 however so was the whole PC market.

In 2005 Macs grew at a little over twice the rate of the market.

In 2006 ..... a little under twice the rate.

Hey Bageljoey....... Life is good. Apple is rocking.
  • Reply 43 of 125
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The market clearly is shifting towards portable devices. Evidenced in shrinking desktop sales and increased laptop sales. Also in the emerging ultra mobile computer. I think this is what Steve meant when he made the Wayne Gretzky quote about looking for where the puck is going not on where its been. Fighting the PC market with low prices is the old fight, mobile computers are the future.

Apple plays down the iPhone being a ultra portable computer but clearly it is. I think Apple has much broader plans for the iPhone but wants to deflect attention away from that aspect. So when they reveal their broader plans everyone will be surprised.

Well said and you may very well be right.
  • Reply 44 of 125
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Hey Bageljoey....... Life is good. Apple is rocking.

Thanks! Now I can relax...
  • Reply 45 of 125
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Well said and you may very well be right.

I think it makes sense. The Dell/HP/ Gateway price wars are the results of a worn out market in its downward spiral.

While sales of mobile phones are on a steep incline, smartphone sales in particular tripled the past two years.

Some look at the iPhone as a $500 - $600 phone. Its really more like a $500 - $600 mobile computer that fits in your pocket.
  • Reply 46 of 125
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I think it makes sense. The Dell/HP/ Gateway price wars are the results of a worn out market in its downward spiral.

While sales of mobile phones are on a steep incline, smartphone sales in particular tripled the past two years.

Some look at the iPhone as a $500 - $600 phone. Its really more like a $500 - $600 mobile computer that fits in your pocket.

Can't argue with anything you've said. I hope Apple will be aggressive and roll out a family of iPhones quickly. While I like the high end iPhone and will get one when available, the price will be out of reach of many consumers. A $199 and/or $299 model(s) are needed to fill out the lineup. And they need to do it this year.
  • Reply 47 of 125
    I can't believe that people buy this crap, like its been said, you would think apple created MP3 players, hell at this rate they'll reinvent god. There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com do the same as a damm ipod, or the Arcos, now thats a sweet player!
  • Reply 48 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortthewiz View Post

I can't believe that people buy this crap, like its been said, you would think apple created MP3 players, hell at this rate they'll reinvent god. There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com do the same as a damm ipod, or the Arcos, now thats a sweet player!

Cheapy mp4 players generally come with crappy software. The success if the iPod isn't just about the hardware specs.
  • Reply 49 of 125
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    SO many people can't seem to grasp that the interface is usually more important than the feature set. I saw a comment on the iPhone that basically said "Same features as other phones, new interface? Big whoop." Uh, yeah. Very big whoop.

All the features in the world don't mean squat if you can't easily get to and use them.
  • Reply 50 of 125
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com do the same as a damm ipod

All I can say about those is: you get what you pay for.

Quote:

or the Arcos, now thats a sweet player!

Yes, Archos make some excellent portable video players. If you want a portable player whose primary function is playing video, Archos should be your first port of call. However, they are necessarily much larger and heavier than an iPod in order to accommodate a decent-sized widescreen display and battery. If you want a music player first, and a video player second (or not at all), the iPod is a very good option.
  • Reply 51 of 125
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I like iPods for the software. Once everything is set up, it can be very automatic. I have smart playlists with ten conditionals that let me rotate my audio based on my preferences. The only commercial software more powerful at this particular feature might be some custom-tuned shell scripts.

Say what you like, but the fact that many of those players are blatantly copying the iPod design (and saying so) speaks volumes about their own maker's lack of original thinking.
  • Reply 52 of 125
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com

That's a link to a company that has ripped off the iPod. If Apple had not invented the iPod this company would likely not have a product.
  • Reply 53 of 125
    Quote:

I don't think that most consumers are waiting for Leopard.

I don't think that most consumers have even HEARD of Leopard.

As Apple is saying the phone call now, they expected this.

I agree. All they know is: iPod. iPhone.
  • Reply 54 of 125
    Mac sales always are flat AFTER the school buying/back to school season - in fact, this is the HIGHEST quarter they've had following the back to school buying quarter EVER.

You have to look at numbers in context. It's like complaining ipod sales are not increasing at a 400% clip as they did in one year - that's like complaining your 800% increase in salary from being a senior and landing your first job is not repeated every year ...

If you consider that desktop sales are slowing as everyone waits for the 8-core along with Adobe CS3, the laptop sales more than make up for it. Apple staggers releases for hitting numbers from quarter to quarter and for year to year - that is sometimes why a release is delayed ... just like Apple knew they didn't need the sales help in this Q so they could hold Leopard until the next one - same with presumbaly the 8-core being announced before Spring and shipping by April ...

Look at them in CONTEXT!
  • Reply 55 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Except that Jobs is making the point that this is a phone.

Unless we can get third party programs, print to any printer we need to, hook up to scanners, etc. it is at best a very crippled computer indeed.

My microwave has an embedded cpu, RAM, an OS etc, but it isn't a computer. If the iPhone can only do what Apple gives it to do, and we can't modify it as I mentioned above, then it is a computerized phone, nothing more.

Jobs has indicated that we will likely see third party software for this, so we will see.
  • Reply 56 of 125
    I just have to say

HOLY FRACKING PROFITS BATMAN!!!

$11.9 billion in cash. $1 billion in profits. Whoa.

Thursday NewYorkTime is going to be big for AAPL. Maybe past $100 on this phantastic news.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I just have to say

HOLY FRACKING PROFITS BATMAN!!!

$11.9 billion in cash. $1 billion in profits. Whoa.

Thursday NewYorkTime is going to be big for AAPL. Maybe past $100 on this phantastic news.

It's really down, after hours. $93 something.
  • Reply 58 of 125
    Quote:

It's really down, after hours. $93 something.

Meh. Dumb investors. Maybe the "office hours" investors on Thursday will wake up and smell the PROFITS

Also, I am fracking PSYCHIC. I friggin' CALLED IT MAN, I CALLED IT:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...54#post1011354

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Dec-21-2006 at 09:12 AM

"The SRSuperDuperAnalystInstitute.com is modelling 20 million iPods sold fiscal Q1 2007 (Oct-Dec 2006). Estimated breakdown is 10 million Nanos, 5.5 million iPod Videos, 4.5 million iPod Shuffles.

iPod (all models) US market share of mp3 players sold during this quarter is estimated at just over 70%.

...((14 million iPods (all models) were sold in fiscal Q1 2006 (Oct-Dec 2005). [Wikipedia])...."

BOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHH
    !!!!11!!11!1!!!!!!!! Wooooooooo Take that you fracking bullshit analyst motherfrackers!!!!!!!!!!!111

• Reply 59 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Meh. Dumb investors. Maybe the "office hours" investors on Thursday will wake up and smell the PROFITS

Also, I am fracking PSYCHIC. I friggin' CALLED IT MAN, I CALLED IT:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...54#post1011354

BOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHH
    !!!!11!!11!1!!!!!!!! Wooooooooo Take that you fracking bullshit analyst motherfrackers!!!!!!!!!!!111

Congrats, your prize is a slightly used Zune box.

May you have many happy hours using it.
  • Reply 60 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..."We are incredibly pleased to report record quarterly revenue of over $7 billion and record earnings of $1 billion," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.....

Steve Jobs said this while repeatedly teabagging* a picture of Steve Ballmer. "Squirt this you frickin' loooooser...!!!!"

*http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t