Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods

Comments

• Reply 101 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Plenty of spare web space here if someone wants to send me images/charts. Currently about 750GB space and 8000GB a month bandwidth. The privilege of owning your own web hosting company. :-)

mail to shaun@ (my_id) .co.uk

Bit busy today though so spending extra time mangling apple spreadsheets into charts isn't high on the list. Neither is reading forums (oops!)

Thanks aegis, I've been fighting with Google stuff (and other related stuff) all morning! I have these as 4 graphs; Computers, iPods, Revenue, and Profit. Perhaps if I email the JPEG images (already generated) to you, you can host images, and inline them here for all to view?
  • Reply 102 of 125
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Good stuff Frank and Aegis... Wow. It's only end of 2004 that things really took off. Hmmm... the "lean quarters" before that when they were only clearing less than 100million per quarter........ ...And that -195 million loss around the end of the dot com era........
  • Reply 103 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Thanks aegis, I've been fighting with Google stuff (and other related stuff) all morning! I have these as 4 graphs; Computers, iPods, Revenue, and Profit. Perhaps if I email the JPEG images (already generated) to you, you can host images, and inline them here for all to view?

Yes, email away.
  • Reply 104 of 125
    Quote:

Yes, email away.

Sent!
  • Reply 105 of 125
    Here's franksargent's graphs ...

• Reply 106 of 125
    Thanks a bunch aegis, BTW just noticed an error on last graph, Y-Axis should be Billions not Millions! That's what you get for cutting and pasting Excel charts.
  • Reply 107 of 125
    It'd be interesting to put some historical checkpoints on those graphs like 'iBook Dual USB launched' or G5 launched or Macbook launched, to explain (perhaps) why the graph takes a hike upwards. Or, for that matter possible negative influences like the Switch being announced.
  • Reply 108 of 125
    Quote:

It'd be interesting to put some historical checkpoints on those graphs like 'iBook Dual USB launched' or G5 launched or Macbook launched, to explain (perhaps) why the graph takes a hike upwards. Or, for that matter possible negative influences like the Switch being announced.

Could try, perhaps on the Revenue plot? I could only use what's in Apple's PR's, one of the potential problems would be announced versus shipping in volume, and the timing of these within the quarter.

The thing I find most interesting is the iPod "halo effect," in 2004 everything takes off coinciding with significant iPod shipments. Also notice how the two iPod holiday seasonal spikes affect the other figures.
  • Reply 109 of 125
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Could try, perhaps on the Revenue plot? I could only use what's in Apple's PR's, one of the potential problems would be announced versus shipping in volume, and the timing of these within the quarter.

The thing I find most interesting is the iPod "halo effect," in 2004 everything takes off coinciding with significant iPod shipments. Also notice how the two iPod holiday seasonal spikes affect the other figures.

Great stuff guys, thanks! I'm glad I asked. :-)

Y'know, the more I look at stuff, the more I want to diddle with the data, i.e. put some stuff on the same graphs, compare with industry averages (although I'd have to dig those up), etc. Anyone else have those same urges? Maybe if you could post the spreadsheets themselves alongside the images, we could all download and continue poking and prodding? In any case, thanks.
  • Reply 110 of 125
    One more from me...

Desktop and laptop unit sales...

See if you can spot when the iMac G5 appeared or the Intel Laptops
  • Reply 111 of 125
    Quote:

One more from me...

Desktop and laptop unit sales...

See if you can spot when the iMac G5 appeared or the Intel Laptops

That one is great aegis, that's just what I was looking for. I think the lappy plot (the last 3Q's) reaffirm my earlier conjecture about the G4 PPC lappy stall, and subsequent demand for Intel lappies. I didn't know where to look for the respective lappy and desktop numbers to do the heavy lifting. Thanks again.

I take it that iMac G5 intro was q4-04 to q1-05 timeframe (yup, CONFIRMED from 8/31/04 Apple PR "The new iMac G5 line will begin shipping worldwide in mid-September ...")? Anyway, except for that one jump in desktop sales, the prior/subsequent trendlines are relatively flat, does make you wonder about the big picture for Apple in the desktop space.
  • Reply 112 of 125
    Quote:

Anyway, except for that one jump in desktop sales, the prior/subsequent trendlines are relatively flat, does make you wonder about the big picture for Apple in the desktop space.

To me it says a few things.

1) The G5 really was a good desktop CPU and the current iMac design is popular

2) Pro users are holding steady waiting for apps mostly

3) at a time when desktop sales are actually falling elsewhere, Apple is increasing. For instance Dell showed a 5% drop in desktop sales at the same time Apple's went up 18% in q4 06. Generally it's flat though compared to laptops.

ie. it's good but could be better, but if they were following industry trends it'd be much worse.
  • Reply 113 of 125
    Quote:

To me it says a few things.

1) The G5 really was a good desktop CPU and the current iMac design is popular

2) Pro users are holding steady waiting for apps mostly

3) at a time when desktop sales are actually falling elsewhere, Apple is increasing. For instance Dell showed a 5% drop in desktop sales at the same time Apple's went up 18% in q4 06. Generally it's flat though compared to laptops.

ie. it's good but could be better, but if they were following industry trends it'd be much worse.

Understood, but I'd like to see real growth in Apple desktop sales, both in numbers AND market share. Not the somewhat "false" increase in market share when the PC side of the fence slows down, a flatline "suggests" constant turnover of the existing "fixed" population, that might not be really true, but it does give me that impression.

I really don't want to get into a big discussion here. Perhaps a new thread with some "serious" discussions about how Apple should/could/would go about increasing both volume and market share would be in order?

Anyway, however you cast the numbers, the uptake of Apple computers WRT all PC's will be a difficult one, getting to even 10% market share may be many years off (even if Apple IS seriously interested in chasing market share).
  • Reply 114 of 125
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I really don't want to get into a big discussion here. Perhaps a new thread with some "serious" discussions about how Apple should/could/would go about increasing both volume and market share would be in order?

Anyway, however you cast the numbers, the uptake of Apple computers WRT all PC's will be a difficult one, getting to even 10% market share may be many years off (even if Apple IS seriously interested in chasing market share).

See the isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again? thread.
  • Reply 115 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

See the isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again? thread.

Yes, I'm well aware of THAT thread, but it's a little long in the tooth and somewhat circular by this time. I was thinking of starting (or someone else starting) a well thought out new thread that would be a summary of that thread's points/counterpoints, and add viewpoints for laptop growth, pro growth, mini growth, and AIO growth, the whole nut if you know what I mean. Where Apple's going WRT computers as opposed to a consumer electronics company (which is the direction they are currently heading, but I'd like to keep the focus on the computer side (but including halo effects from the electronics side)).

And I say "serious" because I'd like to avoid the somewhat usual AI "hit and run" posts, particularly the "been there, done that" kind, if people don't find it informative or useful perhaps they shouldn't comment to begin with?
  • Reply 116 of 125
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Yes, I'm well aware of THAT thread, but it's a little long in the tooth and somewhat circular by this time. I was thinking of starting (or someone else starting) a well thought out new thread that would be a summary of that thread's points/counterpoints, and add viewpoints for laptop growth, pro growth, mini growth, and AIO growth, the whole nut if you know what I mean. Where Apple's going WRT computers as opposed to a consumer electronics company (which is the direction they are currently heading, but I'd like to keep the focus on the computer side (but including halo effects from the electronics side)).

And I say "serious" because I'd like to avoid the somewhat usual AI "hit and run" posts, particularly the "been there, done that" kind, if people don't find it informative or useful perhaps they shouldn't comment to begin with?

I see you are a dreamer, which is fine. I tend to be one too.

Once you start a thread it is out of your control. Consider starting a blog that expresses these views, and you update as new information and ideas come in. On these forums, I've noticed that moderators sometimes take a dim view of starting an new discussion if there already is one in progress on that topic. The exception is something like the Blu-Ray thread, which begins anew each year. It's basically the same discussion, however.

Your idea is also so encompassing, too much for a single thread in my opinion. The closer to just one idea the better. The "plain old Mac" thread is generally about the Mac desktop market, below the Mac Pro or the workstation class of computers.

I believe it would also help if the forum could show the latest threads, and omitted the beginning part. So, rather than a choice of "1 2 3 4 5 6 ... last page," we would have "first page ... 43 44 45 46 47 48." Another nice feature would be to add color to the latest page numbers whenever there is a gap of more than one month. In this way, new readers could easily skip most of the old stuff and get in on just the latest posts, as much or as little as they wish to read.

• Reply 117 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I see you are a dreamer, which is fine. I tend to be one too.

Once you start a thread it is out of your control. Consider starting a blog that expresses these views, and you update as new information and ideas come in. On these forums, I've noticed that moderators sometimes take a dim view of starting an new discussion if there already is one in progress on that topic. The exception is something like the Blu-Ray thread, which begins anew each year. It's basically the same discussion, however.

Your idea is also so encompassing, too much for a single thread in my opinion. The closer to just one idea the better. The "plain old Mac" thread is generally about the Mac desktop market, below the Mac Pro or the workstation class of computers.

I believe it would also help if the forum could show the latest threads, and omitted the beginning part. So, rather than a choice of "1 2 3 4 5 6 ... last page," we would have "first page ... 43 44 45 46 47 48." Another nice feature would be to add color to the latest page numbers whenever there is a gap of more than one month. In this way, new readers could easily skip most of the old stuff and get in on just the latest posts, as much or as little as they wish to read.

Yeah, I think you're right, beside's it takes me so long to write "clearly," it would take quite a while and some effort on my part. But I do think that thread, in and of itself, should be summarized by someone, and started anew, you know like the thread you mentioned but a "(2007)" version.
  • Reply 118 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I go away for a while, and look what happens!

That's a lot of good work guys!

It's too bad that Apple refuses to break the numbers out for individual products anymore. A lot of that is now guesswork.

I also find it to be strange that Apple has now put the Apple Tv into the music category rather than into the peripheral category.

I wonder if they are trying to hide the sales numbers that way.
  • Reply 119 of 125
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Great stuff guys, thanks! I'm glad I asked. :-)

Y'know, the more I look at stuff, the more I want to diddle with the data, i.e. put some stuff on the same graphs, compare with industry averages (although I'd have to dig those up), etc. Anyone else have those same urges? Maybe if you could post the spreadsheets themselves alongside the images, we could all download and continue poking and prodding? In any case, thanks.

PM me your email address, and I'll add you as a "collaborator" to my Google Docs spreadsheet online thingy. From there you can save as .xls etc etc. I have Aegis' data, and I'll copy over FrankS' data into it as well if I do add you as a collaborator...
  • Reply 120 of 125
    Here's the graphs combined, with the Stock Price on the RIGHT Y-Axis. 8)