Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Discounting the 100,000 extra in Q4, it was still a stunning quarter and Q1 2007 was stunning again. Currently they're gaining about 100,000 units every quarter which would put them way over 2 million unit sales a quarter by this time next year - Doubling their sales in 3 years. That's impressive.

I would agree with this statement, a doubling of Mac sales. Particularly if you look at annual (calendar year) unit sales; 3.098M (2002), 3.098M (2003), 3.507M (2004), 4.742M (2005), and 5.655M (2006).

So if Apple has ~6M this year that would be a doubling in 4 years, and if Apple has ~7M this year that would be a doubling in 3 years.
  • Reply 82 of 125
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Except that Jobs is making the point that this is a phone.

Yes, possibly Jobs wants to play down expectations so he can still have more surprises in the future.

Quote:

Unless we can get third party programs, print to any printer we need to, hook up to scanners, etc. it is at best a very crippled computer indeed.

Steve said there would be third party software. Apple confirmed there will be third party hardware attatchements. I doubt the description of a computer has to strictly falls within the limitation of having to scan and print. But that would be a neat feature.

No the iPhone would not be a complete replacement of a full computer. Everything cannot be done effectively on such a small device that costs $500 - $600. But it already does accomplish 90% of what most people do on computers.

Quote:

My microwave has an embedded cpu, RAM, an OS etc, but it isn't a computer. If the iPhone can only do what Apple gives it to do, and we can't modify it as I mentioned above, then it is a computerized phone, nothing more.

You cannot surf the internet, type text messages, send e-mail, or watch video on your microwave either. I don't understand this comment, their are obviously far more similarities and complementary function between the Mac and the iPhone than there is between either and a microwave.

Quote:

Jobs has indicated that we will likely see third party software for this, so we will see.

Yes it will be interesting to see the software strategy. iPhones interface is mostly dependent on directly touching the application. I wonder if Apple will push developers toward this type of functionality.

iPhone also seems like a good development platform for web applications. Most of the information sits on a web server and only the interface is on the iPhone.
  • Reply 83 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes, possibly Jobs wants to play down expectations so he can still have more surprises in the future.

Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:

Steve said there would be third party software. Apple confirmed there will be third party hardware attatchements. I doubt the description of a computer has to strictly falls within the limitation of having to scan and print. But that would be a neat feature.

I've been the one who keeps saying that, after others have said no. But, until we see if it is so, and what, and how we will get it, we won't know. As for hardware, we have no isea of what he was talking about, it could just be headphones and speakers.

Quote:

No the iPhone would not be a complete replacement of a full computer. Everything cannot be done effectively on such a small device that costs $500 - $600. But it already does accomplish 90% of what most people do on computers.

It depends on what software, if any, Apple will allow. Until we know that, we don't know anything.

Quote:

You cannot surf the internet, type text messages, send e-mail, or watch video on your microwave either. I don't understand this comment, their are obviously far more similarities and complementary function between the Mac and the iPhone than there is between either and a microwave.

None of that makes it a "computer". It makes it a communications device, as Jobs says it is. Practically all communications devices these days use computers. By what you say, my Treo is a computer as well.

Quote:

Yes it will be interesting to see the software strategy. iPhones interface is mostly dependent on directly touching the application. I wonder if Apple will push developers toward this type of functionality.

iPhone also seems like a good development platform for web applications. Most of the information sits on a web server and only the interface is on the iPhone.

Yes, we'll see. But, it's not a development platform. It's a platform to develop for.
  • Reply 84 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Some smartphones actually do have scanning and printing built in. My Sony Ericsson P910i has bluetooth printing built in. It prints to any bluetooth enabled printer. The same software works as far back as the P800 so it's something we've been able to do for, oh, 5 years or so. Not that I've ever used it of course beyond sick curiosity. It's much nicer just syncing the file to my Mac and printing it there.

The P990 has a business card scanner built in. You take a photo of the business card and it picks the text out and adds it to the address book. It's quite effective although again, why you'd not just type the details in yourself back at your Mac later and sync when you've more time is beyond my comprehension. It's only marginally quicker taking the photo than typing it all in anyway.

These and more are many of the completely useless features Apple are protecting us from with their locked phone strategy.
  • Reply 85 of 125
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Steve Jobs said this while repeatedly teabagging* a picture of Steve Ballmer. "Squirt this you frickin' loooooser...!!!!"

*http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t

OMG... my name has started something, hasn't it? 8)

Props to you Sunil... the mental image is hilarious. And just... plain... wrong, in so many ways.

• Reply 86 of 125
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Yeah, I did the same sort of graph (as a line chart) in Excel last night. Also did (as line charts) revenues, profits, and iPods from the PR's from the Apple website.

Care to share? :-)

As soon as I saw aegisdesign's chart, I immediately wished there was a similar chart for revenue. And the others would just be gravy. Please?
  • Reply 87 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Care to share? :-)

As soon as I saw aegisdesign's chart, I immediately wished there was a similar chart for revenue. And the others would just be gravy. Please?

I could email the Excel spreedsheet to someone who could post as images to the web, or I can convert to images myself and email these to someone for posting on the web (if that helps). Or if someone can point me to the best place I can post (an image website) them myself. Or I can just email the spreadsheet to you (PM me if you're interested)?

It also might be good to have someone look over my spreedsheet to insure I don't have any data entry errors!
  • Reply 88 of 125
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It depends on what software, if any, Apple will allow. Until we know that, we don't know anything.

Its true over all we don't know what will happen. If its true that iPhone is running a full but optimized version of OS X that is a clear indication this device is intended to be more than a phone.

Quote:

None of that makes it a "computer". It makes it a communications device, as Jobs says it is. Practically all communications devices these days use computers. By what you say, my Treo is a computer as well.

Your Treo doesn't run a full version of OS X.

Based on the small bit of info we have what do you think are the difference between the iPhone and Sony's UX280P Micro PC. The major differences I see is that any Windows app can be used on the Sony and it has an ethernet and USB port.

If Apple is telling the truth about iPhone running the full OS X then iPhone can potentially be updated to have the exact same functionality of the Sony Micro computer.
  • Reply 89 of 125
    Quote:

I could email the Excel spreedsheet to someone who could post as images to the web, or I can convert to images myself and email these to someone for posting on the web (if that helps). Or if someone can point me to the best place I can post (an image website) them myself. Or I can just email the spreadsheet to you (PM me if you're interested)?

It also might be good to have someone look over my spreedsheet to insure I don't have any data entry errors!

I was just thinking you could post as images here, like aegis did. That way it might continue to spark conversation here among those who are already interested. (?) Does that seem like a good idea?
  • Reply 90 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

I was just thinking you could post as images here, like aegis did. That way it might continue to spark conversation here among those who are already interested. (?) Does that seem like a good idea?

aegis has his own website, I don't, and the only places I know are like imageshack, and I don't think you can embed those since they want the ads? I can post as text here for someone else wants to graph (that would at least save effort of getting data yourself)? BTW, I can easily save as PDF's or JPG's for posting to someone's FTP site?
  • Reply 91 of 125
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

OMG... my name has started something, hasn't it? 8) Props to you Sunil... the mental image is hilarious. And just... plain... wrong, in so many ways. .

Yeah, once I got the gist of this TeaBagging thing, it's my new class clown act for this month. I'll try to work it in somehow every 3rd post I make... with deference to you starting the whole thing on AI !!!!
  • Reply 92 of 125
    Oh, totally random, Toast8 Titanium is UniversalBinary goodness. Now I don't have to fire up Rosetta except for Adobe/Macromedia. In which case I might actually just do that kind of stuff in Parallels WinXP2Pro. Fireworks8 is still "cheesy" compared to PhotochopCS1/CS2. I look forward to Universal Binary tight integration between FireworksCS3 and PotochopCS3. Yeah I know, there's another thread on that...
  • Reply 93 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

I was hoping the same thing..... didn't picture APPL dropping $5.

Yeah. AAPL is now like $88 after-hours. Good time as any to pickup AAPL now... ...Thanks Aegis for a good compile of data. Sweet.
  • Reply 94 of 125
    Quote:

aegis has his own website, I don't, and the only places I know are like imageshack, and I don't think you can embed those since they want the ads? I can post as text here for someone else wants to graph (that would at least save effort of getting data yourself)? BTW, I can easily save as PDF's or JPG's for posting to someone's FTP site?

I see, my bad. I didn't realize that images here were just links to external sites. Guess you can tell I've never had occasion to add an image to a post before! Anyone have a small bit of spare web space? aegis? :-)

Barring that, sure, posting the text would be nice, especially if it's in a way that's fairly easy to select and copy out of the page. Then we could explore, and maybe someone else would feel like putting up some images at that point....
  • Reply 95 of 125
    Try fooling around with docs.google.com ?? Free online document and spreadsheet stuff.

Here is the "view only" for Aegis' graph to start with, maybe we can add data to it and stuff. You can import an .xls

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...-_Af_EYzPuyyDA

If you PM me your emails, I can add you as "collaborators" then we can all work off one spreadsheet, with different datasets in different parts of the page (just add to it below the previous data set)... Just an idea.

Flickr.com or Photobucket.com is good for hosting pictures. No charts yet in Google Spreadsheets but the whole collaborating thing might be a good idea, but you'd/ we'd have to PM each other our emails to be "invited" into the collaboration to edit one master spreadsheet document. From there it's easy to export to Excel or Pages or Keynote or whatevs to fire out a juicy Graph....
  • Reply 96 of 125
    Also with one master spreadsheet in docs.google.com you can have different "sheets" like in excel. So we can have different "sheets" for different datasets...
  • Reply 97 of 125
    While we're on google, actually, forget about Flickr or Photobucket,

maybe use PicasaWeb by Google?

http://picasaweb.google.com
  • Reply 100 of 125
    Plenty of spare web space here if someone wants to send me images/charts. Currently about 750GB space and 8000GB a month bandwidth. The privilege of owning your own web hosting company. :-)

mail to shaun@ (my_id) .co.uk

Bit busy today though so spending extra time mangling apple spreadsheets into charts isn't high on the list. Neither is reading forums (oops!)