Is Leopard Going to Be Worth the Upgrade?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So Leopard is most likely coming out soon, and its all the new rage, and everyone cannot wait to buy leopard. But if you think about it... is it actually going to be needed. Sure Time Machine will be cool and all, but what if u are on a laptop, or you dont have much space...anyways you are suppose to dedicate a complete hard drive to it, which could cost you about $200 to buy. Next is Spaces...are you actually going to use that? just wondering...cause I dont think I would. and the last main thing is Mail...i mean...is it worth upgrading your operating system just for a little bit newer mail program that doesn't have that many more features?? Please let me know your thoughts...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Time Machine: You mean don't *already* have a backup drive? Ouch. To me, that's just part of purchasing a computer.

Spaces: Since I've been using virtual desktops in one form or another, on various OSs since about 1994.... uh, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I use CodeTek's VirtualDesktop Pro at the moment, and while pretty darned good, I'm looking forward to see how Spaces works for me.

Speaking as a developer, I think you're going to be STUNNED at what new apps are made possible by Leopard. I know I already am.

Will it be worth the upgrade? Well, you have to judge that for yourself, but IMO it's an easy decision.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Mine too.

And to echo Kickaha's first statement - Ouch!

You just cannot get away without backing up your data and Time Machine looks like the best way to do it. Time Machine itself would make the upgrade to Leopard worth it, IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I'm already sporting a tremendous woody!
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Speaking as a developer, I think you're going to be STUNNED at what new apps are made possible by Leopard. I know I already am.

Are you referring to something covered by a NDA? Or something more public info (or rumor)?

In other words, care to elaborate? I'm excited already
  • Reply 5 of 42
    i definitely think it will be.

yes, you should already have a backup drive. i've got a very cheap 60gig 3.5" drive (was about $50) in an equally cheap enclosure ($20?) and try to keep it as a fairly accurate clone of my pb's internal drive. can't be sure yet, but i hope time machine will be a more elegant way of doing this. so in short, you should already have backup provisions and time machine might be slicker

spaces: i've just got into using virutal desktops and so far i think i like it (espcially on only a 12" screen!) and a more tight integration into the operating system would probably mean it worked better than 3rd party version

and that's even before you factor in "secret" features, which surely will include an enhanced UI

i have to say though, do other people think OS x is a bit going microsoft's way - ie, when they decide to include a feature in the os (backup, drive compression, etc.) they effective kill off 3rd party products... it's kinda a shame that an os devloper will always have a massive advantage over 3rd party developers in this respect

EDIT: also, apart from automator, i use all of tiger's major new features on a daily basis. i can't imagine living without spotlight and dashboard now even though in the beginning i wasn't sure if i'd use them
  • Reply 6 of 42
    I'm going to chime in and say.... maybe. We have only seen a part of leopard. What Steve decided to show us several months ago. I personally think Apple has several more tricks up its sleeve, and was waiting for Vista to be released before opening up a gigantic can of whoop-ass on it. Apple has known for a long time MS was going to copy their features (which they have), and has been holding off on re-thinking the Finder and other core parts of their OS until Vista has shipped. At that point, it's too late to copy Apple as their next OS release won't be for several years.

Based off of what we've seen: No, I don't think Leopard is a must-have. I just think a lot of those "top secret" features are going to be heavy hitters.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I think it'll be definitely worth it.

Time Machine: I love this idea because I'm way too lazy to backup myself.

Spaces: I use a little app called Desktop Manager, and I have six virtual desktops - 1 for Mail, 1 for Safari, 1 for iTunes, and the other 3 get used for random projects. I'm excited because it will be tightly integrated and work better with the OS (I've been dreaming about something like "bird's eye view").

Mail: Though it wouldn't be worth upgrading for just this, I think Stationary will be nice.

You're also forgetting a few key features. Resolution Independence is going to be very nice. I'm constantly zooming in on things (text, video), so it will be nice for them to be clearer. Core Animation, though I'm no developer I'm pretty sure this will make apps run faster (less code) and look cooler.

Plus there are the super-secret features that will hopefully give us the "Wow" (heh).

I think it'll be worth it
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

Mine too.

And to echo Kickaha's first statement - Ouch!

You just cannot get away without backing up your data and Time Machine looks like the best way to do it. Time Machine itself would make the upgrade to Leopard worth it, IMHO.

And a good backup volume really should be mirrored, IMO. And I hope Time Machine has an interface to easily customize it.

What about encrypted remote offsite backups? Time machine should be made to to that. Say I live in Hawaii and I have a friend with his Mac in New York. Say we both have 500GB drives for backup so I set my Time Machine to backup and/or archive data to his drive, and he does the same with his data to my drive. All data would be encrypted in transit and on the drive so only the owner could access it. Data is transferred at set off-peak times (late at night), or it just runs slowly continuously in the background or at idle time. Then a volcano erupts in Hawii, destroys the islands along with my computer, but I'm able to swim to California, buy a new Mac, log into his drive over the net and restore my data! Bingo! Life's good again!

I worked for a credit union where we had to design disaster recovery systems and I just don't understand why regular people don't think about this kind of need. And I really don't understand why it's taken Apple so long to build into their OS a backup feature.

Oh, and, Leopard BETTER be worth it after waiting this long! And it better have more things than just fluffy sherlock/mail-type apps.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I think the answer depends on the person. Some people will upgrade immediately because of a must have feature they must have. Some people will not upgrade because there is nothing they want in the new OS. I didn't upgrade to OS 10.4 until I got a new computer because I didn't have a need for widgets or the 10.4 search feature.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Are you referring to something covered by a NDA?

I think this is obvious and he is not going to tell you more than teasing you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Or something more public info (or rumor)?

There are perhaps some hints but as far as I can tell not much.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF

I'm constantly zooming in on things (text, video), so it will be nice for them to be clearer.

Resolution Independence won't affect video, would it? I mean, if you watch a 640x480 video on a 17-inch 1680x1050 screen and then on a 17-inch 1920x1440 screen, the video will look smaller on the latter, wouldn't it? Assuming both machines are running on Leopard.

From what I have understood till now, text and interface elements of the operating system will look the same on both screens, isn't it so?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    People said this about Tiger. They said the new APIs in Tiger (ex Core Data) would allow third party to create great new apps.

Has this really happened?

I'm not trolling. I'm just curious as I haven't read anything about concrete examples of developers using these new features.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

• Reply 13 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Core Data-based apps are still rare, but they do exist. It'll take some time until developers actually learn to use new APIs, and use them efficiently. In addition, new APIs tend to have their fair share of bugs, so it also takes time until they become more stable.

Bindings-based apps have become a lot more common, even though that feature is from all the way back in 10.3.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Not to mention that CoreData applications will work on 10.4+ only. So it takes time for these features to really get used.

I'm not sure if anyone was very excited about CoreData as anything but a great internal tool for developers, though. CoreAnimation is very different. It's a toolkit that allow developers to allow for some potentially groundbreaking applications that will be *very* noticable from a user's point of view.

By the way, I don't mean to read too much into tea leaves and see things that aren't there, but it seemed painfully obvious to me that everything that was revealed about Leopard at WWDC was all the stuff that Apple didn't much care that Microsoft knew about. IOW, that "Top Secret" moment in the keynote wasn't an excuse and wasn't a bluff. They've had two years (and very possibly longer, in preparation for Longhorn/Vista) to work on Leopard. There is going to be so much more than Time Machine (nifty as it is), virtual desktops, and nice but evolutionary improvements to apps like Mail, Safari and iChat.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Any speculation as to when Apple will unveil the "Top Secret" features, and how much time they'll take to QA before Leopard goes gold?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Not to mention that CoreData applications will work on 10.4+ only. So it takes time for these features to really get used.

I'm not sure if anyone was very excited about CoreData as anything but a great internal tool for developers, though. CoreAnimation is very different. It's a toolkit that allow developers to allow for some potentially groundbreaking applications that will be *very* noticable from a user's point of view.

By the way, I don't mean to read too much into tea leaves and see things that aren't there, but it seemed painfully obvious to me that everything that was revealed about Leopard at WWDC was all the stuff that Apple didn't much care that Microsoft knew about. IOW, that "Top Secret" moment in the keynote wasn't an excuse and wasn't a bluff. They've had two years (and very possibly longer, in preparation for Longhorn/Vista) to work on Leopard. There is going to be so much more than Time Machine (nifty as it is), virtual desktops, and nice but evolutionary improvements to apps like Mail, Safari and iChat.

• Reply 16 of 42
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    No idea, but my guess (respectively) is in the next 3-6 weeks, and June.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Any speculation as to when Apple will unveil the "Top Secret" features, and how much time they'll take to QA before Leopard goes gold?

I think they will leave the top secret features until the day of release

WWDC - June 2007
  • Reply 18 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

People said this about Tiger. They said the new APIs in Tiger (ex Core Data) would allow third party to create great new apps.

Has this really happened?

I'm not trolling. I'm just curious as I haven't read anything about concrete examples of developers using these new features.

Well, things like CoreData are very much under the covers. If the developer has done their job correctly, you'll never know they're using it. Hobbes is right in that some of the 10.5 only technologies are very much user-level, and you'll see them the first time you launch the app. I think this is going to spur a 'gotta have it' feel that the 10.4 upgraded apps never really generated. But yes, much of this is under NDA. I don't have any info on 'secret' features, but just the deeper info on the techs publicly displayed has been enough to spur my imagination into some really neat directions. Don't be surprised if a number of smaller dev houses make their next major version of their apps 10.5 only.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Apple has put some of the WWDC presentations up for free ADC memberships to see. Worth watching. If you do not have the free ADC membership (the "Online Member"), get it at connect.apple.com.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I hope Apple keeps their mouths shut until the day of release... plain and simple.