Sprint challenges iPhone with 99 cent over-the-air music downloads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc. may find it hard to ignore a new dual-strategy mobile phone initiative from Sprint Nextel that promises over-the-air music downloads to a new Samsung phone for 99 cents a piece.

The nation's third largest wireless carrier said Monday it plans to begin offering customers a new phone from Samsung with a revolutionary form factor that optimizes music capabilities with the look of a phone on one side and an MP3 player on the other.

Dubbed "UpStage," the device will be available from Sprint stores beginning in early April for $149 with a two-year service agreement. It will offer easy access to Sprint's exclusive multimedia content, including Sprint Music Store with quick over-the-air music downloads.

The phone will also feature a 1.3MP camera and camcorder, MicroSD card slot for up to 2GB of external memory, an easy-to-access keyguard switch to prevent accidental dialing, and Wireless Backup to quickly restore contact information if your phone is lost or stolen.

Each UpStage from Samsung will come standard with a 64MB MicroSD memory card and an extended battery wallet that increases talk time up to 6.3 hours or 16 hours of music listening, Sprint said. Dual battery gauges will show remaining battery life in the extended battery wallet and the internal battery.

At the same time that Sprint rolls out UpStage, it will also begin offering customers powerful new pricing options for downloadable music tracks. The Reston, Va.-based firm said in early April the Sprint Music Store will offer songs at $ 0.99, which it claims is the lowest rate available for over-the-air song downloads purchased in the United States.

"This price applies to every song in the Sprint Music Store's library of more than 1.5 million songs," Sprint said in a press release.

The new per-song rate will be available to Sprint customers with any Sprint Power Vision data plan, and Sprint says it plans to offer two new plans with a particular emphasis on music.

A new Power Vision Access Pack will be available for $15 and include 10 commercial-free radio channels from Sprint Radio, exclusive video programming, and 99 cent song downloads. For $5 more per month, a Vision Music Pack will add another 40 channels of commercial-free radio channels and a a channel from Sprint TV that features music videos.

Samsung's UpStage mobile music phone for Sprint Nextel network.

Both data plans will be available to Sprint customers in early April and include unlimited data usage, Sprint said. The plans will also include unlimited use of several other non-music applications such as web browsing, Picture Mail and mobile email.

While Samsung's UpStage handset pales in comparison Apple's iPhone on a functionality basis, Sprint's move to offer over-the-air music downloads to the device for 99 cents may present a significant challenge to the iPod maker.

Apple, whose iPhone is not expected until June, has not said if users will be able to download music tracks direcly to the device over ATT's wireless network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    How much is data costs do you have to pay for that $0.99 song?
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

How much is data costs do you have to pay for that $0.99 song?

they have $15 and $20 dolloar a month data-plans that, among some other things, allow free bandwidth for the $0.99 downloads.

As much as people complain about being "locked" into a music player by the drm on some music you may purche, how much more does it suck to be "locked" in to your phone provider by purchasing music?

Several important questions:

Can i put non-drm'd mp3's on it?

What sucky software do I need to install/use to manage the music on it (or do i have to manage it on the phone itself)? Is said software available for Mac.

Comes with a 64MB card and maxes out at 2GB? can i swap between spare cards on the fly to (cumbersomely) have more music available to me? (and how does one manage what is on what card, see the second question)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this product will largely bomb.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    They still do not get it, they think Apple is competing on price, sooner or later they will figure out it is all about the end user experience.

Ok so you can download over the air, but how do you manage your music and all your content, can you easily move things between your phone and computer or your stereo system or play the music over your car stereo and do it all work without you having to think about.

It looks like another failed product... and Sprint think that if people have their music on the phone they would be less likely to change service providers.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Unfortunately the phone looks like ass.

-Clive
  • Reply 5 of 79
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The iPhone as-is is not suitable for downloading media. UTMS isn't even suitable, much less GPRS. However, I'm not convinced that people have been running to download songs on their phones, nor do I believe that at 0.99 this will change much of anything.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Link?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Unfortunately the phone looks like ass.

-Clive

I think they are headed in the right direction. So all Apple need to do is offer iTunes to phone purchase to counter them.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    1 - I'm not sure how this is a counter to the iPhone. They are completely different.

2 - I'm guessing (but probably right in assuming) that Apple will eventually (even if it takes a while) add the capability of downloading songs from the iPhone and having the tracks sync back to your iTunes library.

3 - Notice how they used silhouette dancers as the backdrop.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Hooray for Sprint My dream has come true!

I want to browse a music store on a tiny screen with no pointing device for navigation.

I want to search for music with a little numpad instead of a keyboard. And I want that numpad NOT to be on the same side of the phone as the main screen.

I want to preview and download songs at slow speeds while draining my battery and dealing with reception issues.

I want just 64 MB to store the songs in--which means I also want low quality encoding.

I want to have to WORK to integrate the music back into my main library once I get home--if that's even possible.

I want to shop for music while standing in line or waiting for the red light to change, listening to the wind and traffic and crowds--not from the comfort of my own home with my stereo speakers.

Most of all, I do NOT want iPod ease-of-use or multitouch control and flexibility. I want a ton of little buttons.

Apple could learn a lot from this: it's JUST what consumers have been clamoring for

They're right, Apple CANNOT ignore this threat! Can they make the iPhone catch up to this marvel?
  • Reply 9 of 79
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hey, maybe they could put police scanner and walkie-talkie functionality into it while they're at it!
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Yes, what better product to counter the iPhone than a common Samsung plebe phone, backed with a lame mobile music service.

Where do I sign up?
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Ok after seeing that phone, it's pretty sweet. A display on both sides it unique. I have no plans of buying one, but I would go to a Sprint store to look at it.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/25/s...ge-for-sprint/
  • Reply 12 of 79
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    theres no competition there, so what there 99 cents i dont think whats a reason to get sprint, not to mention they have the worst network out there from personal expirience and also shown by JD power, now the iphone got me thinking although cingular its not to good ether but i might get it for Wi Hi web browsing and for the ipod feature, if only verizon would have gotten it, they already have tv service for phones
  • Reply 13 of 79
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    nagromme, i completely agree.

and it's called the UpStage.

el-oh-els.

did they even look at this when they designed it? (the keys are on the BACK??)

hmmm... something smells fishy.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    That phone is retarded. You have to keep locking the buttons every time you flip it over. Samsung, the same company who brought great industrial design to the Zune strikes out again.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Nice price point too, if it's true

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/1949/1/

wtf is a battery wallet?
  • Reply 16 of 79
    alexcalexc Posts: 6member
    Verizon has had similar offerings in the form of V Cast Music. As far as I can tell, it's awful.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    [humor below, beware]

Steve Jobs said the problem with phones is that their interfaces don't conform to each specific application / task needed by the user. Hence, the birth of iPhone. Now, Sprint/Nextel's solution is to have a 2-sided phone. One side for music, the other for conversations. Just imagine, let's add more functionality and have 3, 4, 5, and on sided phones. Then they'll have to resort to a rubics cube format to accommodate for all it's functionality.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    This is an interesting attempt to counter the iPhone, but there's simply too many buttons and if simplicity is going to be the driver to deliver more customers then this phone falls WAY short. Interesting concept.. I would never buy one.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Ok after seeing that phone, it's pretty sweet. A display on both sides it unique. I have no plans of buying one, but I would go to a Sprint store to look at it.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/25/s...ge-for-sprint/

Maybe the next generation will add a small, lengthwise display on the sides for viewing RSS feeds.

The possibilities are limitless. Or, 6-sided limits.

Jim
  • Reply 20 of 79
    I would love to have a phone with RSS feed scroll around the outer side.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

Maybe the next generation will add a small, lengthwise display on the sides for viewing RSS feeds.

The possibilities are limitless. Or, 6-sided limits.

Jim