Sprint challenges iPhone with 99 cent over-the-air music downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    Looking at that fugly fone, I'd say Samsung is about to be UpStaged in a big way!
  • Reply 22 of 79
    smsm1smsm1 Posts: 6member
    uggg

There is nothing new here. All the major UK Mobile networks have been having multimedia (Audio/Music/Pictures/Games/Video) downloads here for some months, if not years by now. Whether it be on GPRS or 3G. Even on GPRS a song will download in around real time. I have done video streaming on 3G and it will just about work if you are in the right place, with the phone getting rather hot.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Hooray for Sprint My dream has come true!

I want to browse a music store on a tiny screen with no pointing device for navigation.

I want to search for music with a little numpad instead of a keyboard. And I want that numpad NOT to be on the same side of the phone as the main screen.

I want to preview and download songs at slow speeds while draining my battery and dealing with reception issues.

I want just 64 MB to store the songs in--which means I also want low quality encoding.

I want to have to WORK to integrate the music back into my main library once I get home--if that's even possible.

I want to shop for music while standing in line or waiting for the red light to change, listening to the wind and traffic and crowds--not from the comfort of my own home with my stereo speakers.

Most of all, I do NOT want iPod ease-of-use or multitouch control and flexibility. I want a ton of little buttons.

Apple could learn a lot from this: it's JUST what consumers have been clamoring for

They're right, Apple CANNOT ignore this threat! Can they make the iPhone catch up to this marvel?

I agree! Sprint hit it on the nose... After all, I don't want my $1,000 headphones to sound different then my FM radio on the go.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm not sure if UpStage is REALLY priced lower than iPhone, once you take the contracts into account, but lets give UpStage the benefit of the doubt and say that, as miserable as it may seem, at least it's cheap--and Apple offers no cheap phone option yet.

Now imagine a late-2007 $249-or-so low-end iPhone flavor (with cheaper monthly plans than UpStage has because the iPhone cost is not subsidized). By then the nano will be cheaper and the regular iPhone will have larger capacities. I don't see buying music being a big deal on ANY phone (though a really good touchscreen could to it fine) but what I DO see on a low-end iPhone:

* A somewhate smaller touchscreen than iPhone and a super-slim "iPhone nano" form factor to go with it

* 2-4 GB storage

* Full iPhone music/podcast/photo features, but no video

* No Internet, no widgets, probably no notepad; limited calendar and calculator MAYBE if the small touchscreen allows

* Full voice features of iPhone

* Even SIMPLER to use than iPhone because it does less

* In short, a video-less superslim iPhone that is still a great iPod and phone

If that happens, which seems like only a matter of time (though Internet might not be left out), it will be interesting to see non-multitouch companies try to UpStage that!

I don't see Apple ever trying to compete in the disposable "just a phone, no storage, no fancy UI" department though. Apple's low-end will be mid-range in features (and price), not unlike the Mac situation.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Though Sprint/Samsung's attempt was poorly thought out and executed, it does officially usher in a new era in the US cellphone market. The shift has started! We will be seeing many new provider and manufactuer changes; and, more importantly, we'll be seeing more provider/manufacture joint efforts.

Even the vast masses who do not use CIngular or do not plan on getting an iPhone should be rejoicing that the iPhone will undoubtedly improve their cellphone experience.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I don't get what's wrong with these people, seriously. I have sprint with a Samsung A900 phone and I really have no complaints about it as a phone. Quality, reception and customer service are all good. But I sure as heck don't try to use it as an MP3 player because it sucks.

i just don't get why all these companies are so clueless. Why does common sense and usability seem to fly out the window? Do these people even use the products they make?

64MB's!!! what a joke. It's really a slap in the face. I was at Microcenter the other day and they sell 2gig SD cards for $15 everyday as a normal price. So I'm sure a big company like samsung and sprint can get and even better deal to include that with a $150 phone. And 2gig shouldn't be the limit it should be the start of what the unit can accept.

Whatever they're doing right now to figure out new product is the wrong way to do it.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    The wallpaper on the phone is a pretty tacky rip-off of Apple's iPod ads too...
  • Reply 28 of 79
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I would personally like to welcome this joyful cheer for the Music Phone era. It's so nice that Sprint Nextel and Samsung can work together to manufacture the sound of no one caring, and I think it will revolutionize the entire Cell Phone industry!

Sebastian
  • Reply 29 of 79
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Come to think of it, I think I'm going to buy this phone. It's decent looking and isn't a flip phone, the latter of which makes it unique in the catalog of phones offered by Sprint. I don't really expect to be using the music feature (at all) unless I can load songs onto it from the computer, but Sprint's network has such vastly superior voice quality than Cingular's that it makes getting an iPhone out of the question for me.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Anyone else think Apple let the cat out of bag too soon?

June seems like an eternity away and everyone's coming out of the woodworks with their iPhone killer.

Not saying they're better (hands on tests will determine that), but with Apple showing their cards so soon, it makes for an easier target.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Samsung, the same company who brought great industrial design to the Zune strikes out again.

That would be Toshiba, not Samsung.

I do have to say that it's almost comical that just now, Sprint is reducing its song price. The convenience of buying on the go just isn't worth what they wanted, not to mention the reputed hassle to get the same song to work on a computer, I think they offered a dual download, very compressed for phone and later you can download the less compressed for the computer for no extra cost.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

June seems like an eternity away and everyone's coming out of the woodworks with their iPhone killer.

Not saying they're better (hands on tests will determine that), but with Apple showing their cards so soon, it makes for an easier target.

The only ones that may be anywhere close are a model each from Meizu and LG. I think most of the phone market is price-conscious, so there are openings.

Quote:

I want to search for music with a little numpad instead of a keyboard. And I want that numpad NOT to be on the same side of the phone as the main screen.

The num pad side does seem to have a fairly decent display. It's probably not necessary to have a numpad for music searching any more than it is necessary to have a numpad on an iPod.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

If this Samsung is any indication, then either a) The iPhone isn't an easy target or b) They're just shooting wildly with no real ideas.

Sebastian
  • Reply 34 of 79
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm sorry but that crippled phone 2-way taped on to the back of that mp3 player just isn't doing it for me. It looks like hell and now there's 2x as many damageable surfaces on that thing.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    :-D I actually like the phone! It's slim, it's beautiful and unique. However, it does look like it will be annoying if you use the internet, because every time you type something in you have to slip to the other side, and then go to the big screen. But, I don't use the internet...so it wouldn't bother me.

So yea. I am getting this since I have Sprint.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The num pad side does seem to have a fairly decent display. It's probably not necessary to have a numpad for music searching any more than it is necessary to have a numpad on an iPod.

An iPod would be very poor for music shopping--though at least the clickwheel can scroll your own library effectively. An iPod doesn't need a keyboard (or keyboard substitute), but music shopping does.

For searching a music STORE, you need to enter song names, artist names, etc., including trying different searches if your first search fails. Looking though a whole catalog by scroll-and-click category browsing until you find the one song you want would be utterly impractical, even if Sprint's selection turns out to be very limited.

And in this case, you're doing that text entry with a numpad? And the numpad is on the side with the SMALL screen? It may be a "decent" small screen, but small does not cut it for viewing and scrolling search results or even categories. Small does not cut it for music shopping.

So, with the big screen and the keyboard--er, numpad--on opposite sides from each other, which one do you give up for shopping? Or do you flip the phone back and forth constantly? There is no good answer.

And I hope that "Flip" button on the side of the phone doesn't do what I think it does. I hope the thing can at least sense which side is up. Dual-screen flip phones know whether they are open or shut, and the iPhone knows whether it's held sideways or straight. It's hard to imagine that Samsung would come up with this unusual two-face design and neglect to have it know which side you were using.

Also, the thing better be REALLY small to justify the poor battery life: it gets 6.5 talk time or 16 music time--similar to the iPhone--but that's only WITH an external battery pack! It's nice to have the external battery built into a protective wallet... but that's a lot more total bulk and weight then. I wonder what battery life the phone gets by itself?
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:

An iPod would be very poor for music shopping--though at least the clickwheel can scroll your own library effectively. An iPod doesn't need a keyboard (or keyboard substitute), but music shopping does.

For searching a music STORE, you need to enter song names, artist names, etc., including trying different searches if your first search fails. Looking though a whole catalog by scroll-and-click category browsing until you find the one song you want would be utterly impractical, even if Sprint's selection turns out to be very limited.

Clickwheel isn't only for scrolling through lists, searches can be done by entering text using the clickwheel. It's a little cumbersome, but that's the nature of small devices, regardless of how many buttons it has. I personally can't stand trying to enter text a 12 button phone, I don't get how that's popular.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Right. I don't see ANY small device being good for shopping. The iPhone might be better than most, with tiny-alpha-keyboards (like a Treo) being a runner-up... but basically shopping benefits a LOT from a full computer interface. Some things are worth sacrifices for the sake of mobility--but is music shopping something people demand on the go, enough to make those usability sacrifices? I don't see it catching on--even with a better interface then Samsung's numpad. If Apple offer direct-to-phone shopping (which they may) I'll say the same. The option is fine, but it won't be used much.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Sry, double post.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

But you're forgetting that the Upstage (and Prada, and whatever else) are only 'iPhone killers' in the same way that the Creative Zen, Toshiba Gigabeat, and Zune were 'iPod killers'... i.e., not at all. The Upstage is a decent try, but that's about all. Apple isn't exactly losing sleep.

Far as Apple announcing the iPhone back in January, that was the way to go. They completely overshadowed all of CES and generated tremendous advance hype and curiousity, and if they'd waited, well, they would've been scooped anyway when time came to submit the iPhone for FCC approval (something Apple has to do far in advance of the iPhone actually shipping).

Apple made the right call (pardon the pun), and it's not like the copycats can really slap together something in five months (or even fifteen months) that's going to equal or exceed the iPhone.

Look at it this way... the iPod copycats have had over FIVE YEARS to come up with something that equals or exceeds the iPod, and it just hasn't happened, because they don't have Apple's design skills, corporate DNA, or patents. Their world is all about 'good enough', which consistently prevents them from equaling the iPod.

iPhone is pretty much the same dealio. Why? Because the major phone makers weren't thinking, like Apple, that the cell phone was basically 'broken' and needed to be rethought... they thought the status quo in cell phone design and UI was fine and they were only too happy to keep selling customers variations on the same old, same old.

Thus, the iPhone caught them more or less flat-footed, and its going to take them a long time to catch up, if they ever do. They basically have to hope that Apple screws up. A lot. \