Nothing...'til WWDC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After all the hype, all the speculation and all the wishful thinking, I think it is becoming clearer that we will not see anything from Apple until WWDC.

No new hardware at all.

Maybe some audio/video pro apps at NAB, but more likely just an announcement of a future availability (at WWDC).

Jobs likes big splashy introductions. He likes to have everyone falling on the floor in paroxysms of joy while he dispenses the koolaid. And the only opportunity for that to happen is WWDC.

With all the apprehension, all the pent-up demand, all the rumors and speculation that we all have been fomenting about the web, we have created the perfect run-up to WWDC.

Steve can now stroll on-stage at his keynote assured that all of us are sitting on the edge on our seats, nervously holding our cups of koolaid, fully prepared to throw ourselves on the floor in paroxysms of joy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    well, for all those people who are worried about updates before college in the fall, that's encouraging.

Likelihood that they'll offer a free ipod nano with the purchase of a new computer again in the fall?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

After all the hype, all the speculation....

Isn't that what your doing here? Speculating. And I guess trying to throw anti-Hype into our forum? There is a lot of time before WWDC, and Apple is not restricted only to events to launch products. Lighten it up a bit.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Isn't that what your doing here? Speculating. And I guess trying to throw anti-Hype into our forum? There is a lot of time before WWDC, and Apple is not restricted only to events to launch products. Lighten it up a bit.

Obviously, some of what I wrote was intended to be self-effacing and sarcastic.

I admit as well that there is some disillusionment building up. I had hoped for some strong Leopard hints by now.

And there is a growing suspicion that Jobs has decided to shoot his wad all at once at WWDC.
    1. Leopard

2. new Mac Pros

3. new iMacs

4. new Minis

5. new MacBooks and MacBook Pros

6. new displays

With iPhone coming out about the same time, I also expect a lot of talk about the integration between the new Leopard-based Macs and the iPhone.

And new iPods, and possibly another iPhone model, coming out in the Fall for Christmas buying.

Ah, the speculation is killing me. I can't take it anymore. Got to drink koolaid.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I admit as well that there is some disillusionment building up. I had hoped for some strong Leopard hints by now.

And there is a growing suspicion that Jobs has decided to shoot his wad all at once at WWDC.
    1. Leopard

2. new Mac Pros

3. new iMacs

4. new Minis

6. new displays

With iPhone coming out about the same time, I also expect a lot of talk about the integration between the new Leopard-based Macs and the iPhone.

And new iPods, and possibly another iPhone model, coming out in the Fall for Christmas buying.

Ah, the speculation is killing me. I can't take it anymore. Got to drink koolaid.

The chances of Apple releasing everything at once are so slim iggy pop couldn't squeeze through it.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

1. Leopard

2. new Mac Pros

3. new iMacs

4. new Minis

6. new displays

And the "Steve note" will be an all day event with a 15 minute intermition to satisfy the pocket books of the food venders.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:

The chances of Apple releasing everything at once are so slim iggy pop couldn't squeeze through it.

And yet, Onlooker, we've got nada in regard to new Macs.

If Apple is holding back new hardware because of Leopard, then we're all going to be seeing the product lines come out at the same time. I don't think Steve has ever done it before, but nothing says he won't hold all models for a grand release. Everyday Apple doesn't get us new Macs with the latest tech in them, is another day closer to everything being released at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

And the "Steve note" will be an all day event with a 15 minute intermition to satisfy the pocket books of the food venders.

Don't forget to BYOD (bring your own diapers).
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

I always wonder how Steve would choose to bow out of Apple.

What better way to go than to:

Release Leopard, which everyone is saying will be far beyond expectations

Release all new hardware on the stage at the same time

Then his "one more thing... I'm retiring." as he walks off stage without further comment

I don't think there's a better way for him to go that by giving everyone everything they wanted and then announcing retirement with his "one more thing" comment.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    It's not very likely that Apple's going to leave everything to June's WWDC. For one thing that makes a lousy second quarter. For another, Apple has always released new consumer laptops in the April/May timeframe for schools. June's WWDC is a little late for releasing laptops for schools.

My guess is we'll see new MacPros or at least laptops at NAB.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I always wonder how Steve would choose to bow out of Apple.

What better way to go than to:

Release Leopard, which everyone is saying will be far beyond expectations

Release all new hardware on the stage at the same time

Then his "one more thing... I'm retiring." as he walks off stage without further comment

I don't think there's a better way for him to go that by giving everyone everything they wanted and then announcing retirement with his "one more thing" comment.

He would fold his arms across his chest, a light would shine on him from centerstage, a mournful tune sung live by John Mayer would swell and Steve would ascend to the heavens, with the help of an offstage 'wire-fu' rigging crew.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

And yet, Onlooker, we've got nada in regard to new Macs.

If Apple is holding back new hardware because of Leopard, then we're all going to be seeing the product lines come out at the same time. I don't think Steve has ever done it before, but nothing says he won't hold all models for a grand release. Everyday Apple doesn't get us new Macs with the latest tech in them, is another day closer to everything being released at the same time.

The time it would take for a proper introduction of all those products is way to long to even take it seriously.

Leopard will probably come out before WWDC, and Mac Pros will probably be announced at the same time at a special event.

I wouldn't doubt a MacBook Pro at WWDC though.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    edit:In response to a sudden Jobs retirement.

And then the stock price would tumble to Scully levels.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    apple should at lest drop the prices or up the cpu , ram size, video card, hd size if they are not going to come out with new hardware.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

The time it would take for a proper introduction of all those products is way to long to even take it seriously.

Leopard will probably come out before WWDC, and Mac Pros will probably be announced at the same time at a special event.

I wouldn't doubt a MacBook Pro at WWDC though.

I didn't say it would be normal. I simply put it out there that it's something they haven't done before. If all the new models were significantly different in design and spec from current models then perhaps putting them all out there at the same time would be less a shock to us than in one or two model increments. IMHO, if they are dragging their feet this long, they may as well go all out. Looking at MacRumor's Buying Guide it's clear that they are holding back more than normal. I'm thinking that this won't be a normal release, so the old rules won't apply.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

edit:In response to a sudden Jobs retirement.

And then the stock price would tumble to Scully levels.

Our esteemed leader won't be with us forever. I simply posted a way I think Steve would want to bow out. Sooner or later, it will happen.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    ddanielddaniel Posts: 12member
    Multitouch MBP's and displays + Leopard. Announced at NAB, available at WWDC. Giggidy Giggidy Goo.

June's gonna be an expensive month...
  • Reply 17 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Illogical thinking is not a substitute for dissillusionment.

WWDC is not MacWorld. I repeat. WWDC is not Macworld.

Companies are paying $1200 a head to send developers to WWDC. Apple doesn't broadcast

WWDC keynotes which stunts the marketing power of the event.

The focus of WWDC is to provide hands on support for developers and to give some roadmaps on features and direction of OS X and development tools. Apple will through a bone to show goers by announcing a product (like the Cinema Displays) or giving away a freebi.

WWDC is NOT the event to be launching multiple products.

Quote:

nd there is a growing suspicion that Jobs has decided to shoot his wad all at once at WWDC.

Leopard

new Mac Pros

new iMacs

new Minis

new MacBooks and MacBook Pros

new displays

This above is ridiculous and will NEVER happen at WWDC.

There's a good chance that Apple will announce Mac Pros at NAB as incentive to run the new versions of Final Cut Studio and other Pro Apps.

The iMacs, Mac minis, Macbook and Macbook Pro will be based on the new Centrino Pro (Crestline) platform. There is absolutely NO reason to announce product based on Napa platform when it's getting replace in May with superior hardware.

It could be June for launch if Intel isn't ramping like they should but Crestline is supposedly due in May.

http://www.pclaunches.com/processors...g_this_may.php

Quote:

Some new information about Intel's Santa Rosa - the new platform for laptops is doing rounds across Internet according to which, it's on track for a May release. Tgdaily reports that the Crestline chipset, core of Santa Rosa, will be DirectX 10 compatible. The GM965 Crestline chipset will be able to run DirectX 10 applications and full Vista Aero interface.

I would not buy a computer not based on Centrino Pro at this point. The Mac Pros don't have as much of a reason for delay. I think they're coming next in time for an Apple Pro app refresh and CS3 from Adobe which ships this month right?

There is a method to Apple's madness. WWDC is a not a show for multiple product launches. It's a Developers conference and an expensive one at that. It is not for public consumption.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Our esteemed leader won't be with us forever. I simply posted a way I think Steve would want to bow out. Sooner or later, it will happen.

U.S. wine pioneer Ernest Gallo dies at 97

Ernest Gallo stayed with the company he founded with his brother Julio until he died peaceful at age 97, and in the end his company was the world's largest winemaking empire. Who says Steve Jobs couldn't do the same for Apple Inc. Apple is ending its infancy comparatively. Apple has come a long way ,but to leave any time now would be to give up on everything you ever hoped for. Apple is just now starting to make a credible name for itself, and becoming a household word. Leaving now would be the death of a dream. I just don't see it happening.

When I go. I want to be remembered Like Gallo was. Not someone who's time came and passed.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

I didn't mean that Steve can never leave Apple. I just don't think he'd do it suddenly due to the stock panic it would cause.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Illogical thinking is not a substitute for dissillusionment.

WWDC is not MacWorld. I repeat. WWDC is not Macworld.

<snip>

I agree, but when then?