What's Your Carbon Footprint?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
What's Your Carbon Footprint?

We are at the whopping 17,121.

The average persons total carbon footprint in the USA is about 19,000 kg per year.

The average for all industrial nations is about 11,000 kg per year.

The world-wide average is 4,000 kg per year.

Vanity Fair is running Fifty Ways to Help Save the Planet guide, which covers everything from green roofs to green coffins.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    20,992 - but probably more like 24,000 because I have four cars and they only had room for two.

42,000 kwh, 800 gallons propane, the rest was air travel (3 trips to Australia per year).
  • Reply 2 of 42
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    7,553 -using US average, but im in the UK
  • Reply 3 of 42
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I went through and filled it all out and then I realized: "Carbon Footprint" and all associated industries to help you offset it is an enourmous lie and waste of time. Just watch, in 20 years we'll be talking about Global Cooling again.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I went through and filled it all out and then I realized: "Carbon Footprint" and all associated industries to help you offset it is an enourmous lie and waste of time. Just watch, in 20 years we'll be talking about Global Cooling again.

let me guess, you got somewhere like 50000 and the guilt set in, youre in complete denial of your responsibilities so you decided to rubbish the whole thing
  • Reply 5 of 42
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    It gave me three figures and I am not sure which are requested here so I'll just list all three.

Primary Carbon: 22,329

Personal Share: 5,582

Total Including Secondary: 11,532

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

let me guess, you got somewhere like 50000 and the guilt set in, youre in complete denial of your responsibilities so you decided to rubbish the whole thing

Bet lots of Americans will do the same.

I'm American, living in Japan, but my wife and I both have to drive alot because of our work, so our combined footprint came to 11,000.

It is scary how much the cars produce.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    Quote:

7,553 -using US average, but im in the UK

That is amassing!

How do you do that?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Don't drive and live close enough to walk or ride a bike to work.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    We already changed all light bulbs to florescent, added power-strips for all chargers and other standby vampires, and switched to laptops. In the next phase will be replacing wife's midsize SUV ... hopefully with my G-35 (Skyline for Japanese friends), and I'll be getting something more efficient (e.g. Prius, Corolla, Civic). There is no public transportation here and no sidewalks. So, unless we move to some civilized city, there is no way to get rid of cars.

Perhaps we should switch to trains for domestic (US) travel. Did anyone try them? Are they any good?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Don't drive and live close enough to walk or ride a bike to work.

I wish ...

30 minutes walk through the Central (or any other) Park to the office ... \ ... dream of an idiot.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 100mph View Post

I wish ...

Don't we all!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

That is amassing!

How do you do that?

have a simple life!

From my last electric bill over the winter I used about 125 units of electricity (multiplied by 4 for whole year) and drive 5000 miles per year in a 1.2-1.6 supermini. every other box remained at 0. No Gas, oil, lpg, coal, flights or trains for me.

Dont watch TV, no aircon, no fridge, energy saving bulbs in every fitting (11 watt) - usually only 1 light on at a time. Everything is turned off at the plug unless im using it, bar the alarm clock, cycle to work on nice days (6 miles each way). Car does 40MPG.

Funnily enough, i dont live like this because im a green freak or lacking in money, its just how I've unconsciously chosen to live.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Actually it came out under 8,400. Have a nice day.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

We already changed all light bulbs to florescent, added power-strips for all chargers and other standby vampires, and switched to laptops. In the next phase will be replacing wife's midsize SUV ... hopefully with my G-35 (Skyline for Japanese friends), and I'll be getting something more efficient (e.g. Prius, Corolla, Civic). There is no public transportation here and no sidewalks. So, unless we move to some civilized city, there is no way to get rid of cars.

Perhaps we should switch to trains for domestic (US) travel. Did anyone try them? Are they any good?

You're never going to see the kind of use of public transit here in the US as you will in other nations. For one, it's too spread out. The country is too big. Two, our lifestyles are more independent. The second one is theoretically alterable, ut in reality...good luck. That probably just reinforces your view of the Fat, Lazy American.

100...one more thing: Doesn't it bother you that we have people like Private Bus and Plane Cheryl Crow and "I Use More Eletricity than 20 Familes" Al Gore and "Biggest House in the County" John Edwards flying around the world telling us to use one square of toilet paper and what not? Why is it always the average person that has to sacrifice?

Don't get me wrong...I may well start doing things like replacing standard bulbs...if I like the quality of light and atually saves any money. I try not to run lights and what not unecessarily. I drive a 6 cyl. Camry that gets 21-27 MPG in real world situations. I'm just not going to go nuts over something that I'm not at all convinced is real. I'm also not going to buy into (literally) bullshit carbon credits.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    I probably have a carbon footprint of about 50,000 . whoops. I don't know, I don't pay the bills so I don't know the amount of gas, electricity, etc I use annually...
  • Reply 16 of 42
    What a poorly designed site!

I came up with 18,700 but I KNOW that's way to low.

It only allowed for 2 cars... but I have more than that.

I didn't include any of my flying (but as the pilot, I' not sure that should count.... holy crap... that'd be 24 trips from USA to Japan every year )

I live in a community that has streetlamps on every 100 yards, all night long, every day of the year... shouldn't I be "charged" for part of that electricity as well??

I go to the occasional concert or sporting event, etc... should I get "charged" for my portion of all the carbon required to support these big stadium events ?

Should I get a CREDIT if I pee in my backyard ??... I'm reducing my impact on the water treatment facilities when I do that .

What about the good mood I'm always in because I enjoy my life and my huge "carbon footprint"... that actually makes me a MORE productive prole... perhaps I should be givien a little carbon credit for that.

The list could go on... but I can't ... my point is, that "carbon footprint" number is absolutely meaningless.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

have a simple life!

From my last electric bill over the winter I used about 125 units of electricity (multiplied by 4 for whole year) and drive 5000 miles per year in a 1.2-1.6 supermini. every other box remained at 0. No Gas, oil, lpg, coal, flights or trains for me.

Dont watch TV, no aircon, no fridge, energy saving bulbs in every fitting (11 watt) - usually only 1 light on at a time. Everything is turned off at the plug unless im using it, bar the alarm clock, cycle to work on nice days (6 miles each way). Car does 40MPG.

Funnily enough, i dont live like this because im a green freak or lacking in money, its just how I've unconsciously chosen to live.

Cool! Same here ...

I don't care much about TV - it's not like our stinking cable has full BBC lineup and Al Jazeera. AC - only if really needed. BTW, we had no AC when I was growing up in 70th, and it was never a problem. I am just not sure how you do with no refrigerator.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    I clock out at 8043 for the whole house, 2093 personally.

SWEET!

Edits: Scratch that, I forgot to put in that I live in CA. It's actually 7428 And my personal.. 1478.

That's not too bad.

What I don't get is how come mine came out so low when I drive a 300C (12000 miles per year FOR THE HOUSEHOLD - it's our only car), we don't fly, we don't take trains - we do travel quite a bit with the car thus the pretty high mileage), but we don't use much electricity and our house doesn't have AC (it does have heat.. but we don't use it much)...

That's about all I have to say. I have a feeling it's higher up like 8000...
  • Reply 19 of 42
    7492, Primary at only 1542. Might be even less, since I live in Switzerland, and 99 % of our power plants are carbon neutral (water or nuclear power). Even the trains run with electricity generated by water power.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    I wonder if organic food makes your farts smell better..