Need Laptop Buying Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
PC User here, looking to make the switch to a Mac Book. Never used a Mac, but have heard from countless users how it has fewer viruses, a better OS and just a better product. My use of a computer is simple. Internet is 99% of my use and ther other 1% is basic word processing and some music downloads. I have found a base model on ecost.com for $1060, 1.8 intel/512/60gb hard drive and for $1243, 2.0/1gb/80gh hard drive.

Now will I be able to tell a difference in the 1.8 and the 2.0 processor? Is the extra money worth it?

I am also thinking of buying the base model with the 512 ram and upgrading it with 1 stick of 1 gb when I find a good deal. Is it better to upgrade later? or have it pre installed at time of order?

Also, for all of the current Mac users, would like to hear your thoughts on Mac...a little feedback would help.

Thank You

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

PC User here, looking to make the switch to a Mac Book. Never used a Mac, but have heard from countless users how it has fewer viruses, a better OS and just a better product. My use of a computer is simple. Internet is 99% of my use and ther other 1% is basic word processing and some music downloads. I have found a base model on ecost.com for $1060, 1.8 intel/512/60gb hard drive and for $1243, 2.0/1gb/80gh hard drive.

Now will I be able to tell a difference in the 1.8 and the 2.0 processor? Is the extra money worth it?

I am also thinking of buying the base model with the 512 ram and upgrading it with 1 stick of 1 gb when I find a good deal. Is it better to upgrade later? or have it pre installed at time of order?

Also, for all of the current Mac users, would like to hear your thoughts on Mac...a little feedback would help.

Thank You

RAM is good, get plenty. Get 1GB, or more if you feel like springing for it. CPU speed is good too, but you should be OK with 1.83GHz. Even so, you should get the $1299 / 1243 MacBook, since it comes with the 1GB RAM and an 80GB HD, and perhaps most importantly because it has a Dual Layer DVD-R, whereas the cheapo MacBook only has a DVD/CDR combo drive.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Well I thought, about ti and I really don't burn dvd's, so I am not saure I would get much use out of it. I am on a bit of a budget crunch, but desperately need a new computer. I am currewntly on a 8 yr old compaq desktop. I am inquiring about the Mac Books to get a feel if I should go this route. Wasn't to pleased to see that Vista recommends 2gb od ram for a laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    If you can manage the extra $200, it's worth it. You get the extra 512MB RAM, a better HD (60GB is paltry), and a bonus DVD-R. You may not think that you burn DVDs, but you have an 8 year old computer, so in all honesty I don't think you have a great idea about what you are going to use this MacBook for. It's very useful to be able to burn DVDs for backup purposes alone, not even counting all of the cool things you can do with iMovie.

I myself never thought I'd use iMovie. I found that I was wrong. It's a pretty cool little piece of software. There has maybe been only one or two times where I needed to burn a DVD for video use, but when that happened I was really glad I had the DVD-R.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Thanks for the reply.

I am considering it, I just need to see if I can afford it at this time, might need to wait for Uncle Sam's check

I basically want an up to date laptop which I can take with me wherever I go, have wireless internet access at my fingertips, as my business demands internet usage 24/7.

Is there any type of adapter to use a broadband card for the internet on a Mac?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    You mean a cellular broadband PC card? I'm not sure if the MacBook has a PC card slot. Check with you're provider. I know that Sprint Power Vision works with mac, but it comes on a PC card. You might be able to beam it over via bluetooth, but you'll have to check with your provider.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    yes. I was told you can get a USB adapter for those broadband cards.

Basically I have always used a Windows machine. I am open minded to other options and I need a solid laptop. I have heard some good things about the Mac, so here I am trying to learn a little.

My basic question is for a lifelong PC user, why should you make the transition to Mac? What are the benefits? Why should one make the switch?

Thank You
  • Reply 7 of 29
    anyone?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Well, as you said, there are the reasons that are obvious.

Lack of Viruses, Solid and Reliable, Solid Suite of Applications, etc.

What you may not understand yet it how it can enhance your life. A new love of music cause you imported in your music, a desire to shoot photos more cause you can show them off to friends through easy e-mail. Always wanted to direct your own film? Make one yourself with iMovie.

If any of that sounds daunting, apple now has a service where they give you 52 hours of training on your mac's software and operations.

You also step into a community of people who LOVE to talk about their computers. How to fix any issues that arise, a new trick they learned with an application. If you have your macbook out you might have some stranger come up to you and ask you about it, maybe in such making a new friend.

As much as people try to disown it, people see Apple comps as a differing affect and people are attracted to the unknown.

Oddly enough, Microsoft had the right catch phrase, just for the wrong product. "Welcome to the Social" is pretty much what its like to become part of the apple community.

Welcome friend, you might just start enjoying your computing experience.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    kilraq - thanks for the welcome, even though I do not own a Mac right now!

I have heard from some Mac users saying that once you surf the web on a Mac you will never want to surf on a PC again. Why is that?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    They might be talking about Safari. It IS very fast. Maybe that's it.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    So they just mean the browser Safari is quicker than firefox/IE?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    It can vary on different machines, but it's faster than Firefox on the Mac for sure. I don't find IE to be fast at all for me. It varies.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    so why is a Mac a better machine?

Since I just want a basic computer for web surfing, is the Mac overkill?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    djbamberdjbamber Posts: 13member
    It's been 3 plus years since I went mac, and I've never looked back! It just plain works.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    can you explain in further detail plz.

Thank You!
  • Reply 16 of 29
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    A little while back I was a Network Admin for the ISP world. I hated Mac's, not for any real reason, and loved my PC's. When I finally made the switch to Mac it was due to a new job and I didn't have much choice. When I did make the switch, I loved it and my friends hated it. The only sacrifice I could think of was gaming. With that said, I now am able to simply reboot and i'm in Windows on my Macbook and i'm playing games like before. It's the best of both worlds.

Regarding the question that you asked if the poster could explain further about "never looking back"...for me, I would have to say that daily tasks just work. It's not a constant troubleshooting session just to do your normal routines. For someone that's primarily looking for a "Internet" system, you can't go wrong with a Mac. Like I said before, i'm not constantly figuring out why this software won't do "X" anymore or why this stopped working and is giving me errors now. It's not that the Mac world is flawless. If it were, updates and new OS versions wouldn't be needed. They are just easier to diagnose when something does go wrong, and when they do errors are much less cryptic. OS X also brings the fun factor back to computers for me. i did it professionally for so long, it lost it's "kid at christmas" feel when I got something new. Now I get that feeling back.

Lastly, regarding what to buy, thats simple. Buy what you can afford. Your not going to see a difference in 1.8 to 2.0 right now. But that little difference could be a saving grace down the road when you do need it. Think of it more like an investment for the future. How long with that system work by your standards? Will that extra speed get you more time w/o upgrading so soon in the future as if you didn't pay the little extra amount now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do! Hope I helped some.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

so why is a Mac a better machine?

Since I just want a basic computer for web surfing, is the Mac overkill?

To hell with the detailed replies. I can sum it up quickly. Using a mac is strangley enjoyable. Don't expect a rational explanation why. It just is. Using a PC sucks. All of the little, niggling annoyances of using a PC don't seem to exist on the mac.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

To hell with the detailed replies. I can sum it up quickly. Using a mac is strangley enjoyable. Don't expect a rational explanation why. It just is. Using a PC sucks. All of the little, niggling annoyances of using a PC don't seem to exist on the mac.

You're right. And you'll actually want to try to do more since it's not as frustrating an experience.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    k

Makes sense.

I found on ecost.com a 2.0ghz/1gb sddr2/80gb hd/superdrive dvd-r - $1266

Anyone think there is a better deal out there?