IF the Mini dies, what will replace it, if anything ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've had my eye on a Mini for a while now but have been hanging on in the hope of C2D and Leopard, but the rumours of its demise have got me in a spin. Will there be a similar and better replacement machine, or are they giving up on a market they never truly wanted to be in in the first place ?

The machine will be just for domestic use, mostly surfing, TV/DVD with some ripping and burning, pic handling and life organisation, so I don't need the power of a Pro, don't want the bulk of a Pro, and certainly can't handle the expense of a Pro. I may integrate the Mini into my AV system as a media hub, and this desire makes even an iMac awkward by its physical size and dimensions. The Mini really is perfect for my needs.

So, do I wait and see if they replace, or just get one ASAP before they've all gone ??

PS. Did anyone ever sort out a way of switching the Matshita drives in new Macs to RPC-1 for multiregion DVD playback via RegionX, or any other solution ??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Hopefully a new machine with a 3.5" hard drive (and a keyboard/mouse set) to make it competitive with entry level windows machines. However, I fear the Mini and 17" will just be gone and the cheapest Mac "desktop" will be a $1299 20" iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Hopefully a new machine with a 3.5" hard drive (and a keyboard/mouse set) to make it competitive with entry level windows machines. However, I fear the Mini and 17" will just be gone and the cheapest Mac "desktop" will be a $1299 20" iMac.

I think you will be wrong. I think there will be a sub $1000 Mac, but only one. \
  • Reply 3 of 47
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corradoboy View Post

So, do I wait and see if they replace, or just get one ASAP before they've all gone ??

If you need the computer now, then buy the computer now. It is a computer model. Just like every other computer model, you can expect the Mac mini to be updated, replaced, or dropped sometime in the future. That is the nature of the business. Even so, Apple will support it for at least five years after the model is discontinued. Because it is an Intel-based Mac, it will actually be more compatible with major brand software (cough Microsoft Office) than it is now.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    I don't so much need the 'puter now, would like it now, but I am prepared to wait for C2D and Leopard if indeed they are ever going to happen in the Mini or a.n.other replacement. My old G3PB is still ticking over nicely, albeit woefully underpowered for todays video files amongst other compromises. I've just ordered a Combo drive to replace a broken DVD ROM drive in that so there's a little life in the old dog yet.

My dream set-up would be a 24" iMac in the office, a Mini by the AV system and my lappy for mobile use, al connected wirelessly. I ain't got that sort of cash to splash though

So, do you think we will get confirmation either way of the rumours sometime soon ??
  • Reply 5 of 47
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    I suppose Apple wants to sell you an iMac plus an Apple TV for what you want to do.

I think the mini stays around but perhaps as a redesigned product. What was really gained by the very small form factor other than the limitations and cost imposed by the laptop components? Apple didn't repeat that "mistake" with the Apple TV and so that could be a blueprint for the mini or its successor.

The 17" iMac may go away because that may allow Apple to redesign the iMac without any "chin" at all -- just fit the whole guts behind a 20" screen. We'll see soon I imagine.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    tv Pro?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    It's all well and good Apple wanting me to use an iMac and ATV, but if I want to play a DVD I will either have to go to the office and insert it, or have a standalone DVD player. I really want a Mini to replace all my media options and my computing solutions. EyeTV with DVB recording, DVD replay burning and copying, online media content, browsing (inc email etc). If it would just do multiregion I would have all I need to replace my antiquated VCR, DVD player and cable mediabox.

I'm talking myself 'round here aren't

1.83 Mini, 500gb ext, EyeTV, wireless keyboard & mouse, feeding my 50" plasma I'll add an iMac and Airport later
  • Reply 8 of 47
    jiggy05jiggy05 Posts: 37member
    I came to my G4 Mini thinking of it as a disposable computer -- filled with great software. I mean Tiger was pre-installed and iLife too, so my other Macs benefited. But my mini will surely live on for a decade or longer in one iteration or another as I can list about 10 scenarios for this machine to be useful in my home or office. No other Mac product can be so versatile and subtle. I hope that the demise of this gem has been much exaggerated since it's high time for me to buy my second 'disposable computer' with Leopard and iLife 07 pre-installed.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

tv Pro?

No.

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

I don't so much need the 'puter now, would like it now, but I am prepared to wait for C2D and Leopard if indeed they are ever going to happen in the Mini or a.n.other replacement. My old G3PB is still ticking over nicely, albeit woefully underpowered for todays video files amongst other compromises. I've just ordered a Combo drive to replace a broken DVD ROM drive in that so there's a little life in the old dog yet.

My dream set-up would be a 24" iMac in the office, a Mini by the AV system and my lappy for mobile use, al connected wirelessly. I ain't got that sort of cash to splash though

So, do you think we will get confirmation either way of the rumours sometime soon ??

Well, on the 11th you'll get plenty of information, at least: the real Leopard'll stand up, maybe some surprises, and pretty much all Macs are way overdue for an update (arguably, a serious upgrade). I seriously doubt Apple will suddenly drop the whole lower segment by killing the mini (and not replacing it with something) and the lower iMacs, particularly with Jobs talking quite a bit about market share lately. This article about the demise of mini might be missing the whole picture--there may very well be something else coming to replace it. Also, it sounds like a MacBook might serve you very well (you could get a refurbished or used one).
  • Reply 11 of 47
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I would like a low cost machine that comes with a graphic card slot and then for Apple to offer differenet graphic cards for it.

I hate integrated graphics as it is so PC
  • Reply 12 of 47
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Entry level imac is a perfect mini replacement.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Unless you don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse...

I've been waiting for a bump to buy one, and now... I may go get a used or refurb unit. iMac? Yeah, right. That'd look great next to the TV. AppleTV? Sure. I'll get cyrus-imapd running on that RSN. A mini is a fabulous little home server, *and* works well in a home entertainment center. Since I need both... no-brainer.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Unless you don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse....

Or don't like Apple's current configuration choices. If I were to get my mother to buy a low end iMac instead to replace her iMac, it would mean replacing a display that is larger, nicer, and newer than the the one Apple chooses to bundle.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Unless you already have a display that is better than the iMac's.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

If it would just do multiregion I would have all I need to replace my antiquated VCR, DVD player and cable mediabox.

Actually VLC can play multi-region DVD's

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
  • Reply 17 of 47
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Of course it is, if you ignore the £400 price difference.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    If I were to bet, I would place my wager on a very Cube like computer, but priced more reasonably and with a slot(s) that allow for the addition of standard sized cards, not withstanding those that take up 2 slots.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

If I were to bet, I would place my wager on a very Cube like computer, but priced more reasonably and with a slot(s) that allow for the addition of standard sized cards, not withstanding those that take up 2 slots.

Considering the Mac Pro has moved considerably up market and up price from the G-series PowerMacs it wouldn't have to be that much cheaper than the machine that was introduced in 2000. There is not machine that is better than it yet several hundred dollars cheaper.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

If it has, say, three slots and two HDD slots, it might be close to the much discussed Mac mini tower, except for shape. However, it could become a Mac Mini replacement only if there is a low-end model: economy motherboard, no PCI-e connectors, on-board graphics, and a single HDD bay and optical drive bay.