IF the Mini dies, what will replace it, if anything ?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    They should replace the Mac Mini with a shoe. Or an Apple branded cheese grader. I've been waiting years to upgrade both my shoes, and my cheese grader, but each time I consider making the purchase Apple rolls out some new upgrade to their line of computers that frightens me.

In a perfect world they would combine these two needs and make the Apple iMacProShoeGrader Mini XLT KVM LMNOP headless footless cheeseless solution for all your footwear and cheese grading tasks.

Oh, and it should have an Nvidia 9900 260 GB Graphics card in it because god knows I need to have the fasted doodads available for whatever it is I do when I am doing stuff like things, you know, stuff and things.

Here is a concept drawing I put together -

Note the blue "speed lines"

Oh wait... this isn't the Temporary Insanity forum!!!
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ive View Post

There wil be no replacement.

MacOS X will be sold for PC's as you would say.

Remember allmost all the products have the word "mac" in it.

This will make the difference with other pc's running macosx

Won't ever happen. Pigs will sooner fly before Mac OS will be loadable on PCs.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Apple will do what fits with with its own computer philosophy. We are also talking about a company here that has raised prices on almost every computer in its line.

How do you figure that? Only the iBook and Mac mini have seen price raises. The Mac mini's was just to raise it for the sake of doing so, and the iBook price went up 100 bucks when the Macbook name was applied due to the computer getting alot more features like the 75% speed boost and isight.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by athletics68 View Post

How do you figure that? Only the iBook and Mac mini have seen price raises. The Mac mini's was just to raise it for the sake of doing so, and the iBook price went up 100 bucks when the Macbook name was applied due to the computer getting alot more features like the 75% speed boost and isight.

Power Mac G4 $1299

PowerMac G5 $1499

PowerMac G5 Dual Core $1999

Mac pro $2200
  • Reply 45 of 47
    jiggy05jiggy05 Posts: 37member
    Perhaps the Mini must die before being resurrected. If Apple redesigns the iMac now, old Mini owners will jump ship, because todays Minis are under powered and over priced -- outdated and nothing seems to be forthcoming. Well, that was actually the plan from the start. Moving mini users to iMac users was the whole point. Dissatisfied with today's mini? Sure you are. iMacs will soon look irresistable. "Switch". Of course, October's Leopard rollout might bring new MiniPlus models to attract a whole new generation of PC 'Switchers' once more. But todays new iMac people will never go back to minis.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    A MacBook Mini.

Yeah, yeah, I know everyone's been thinking the rumored sub-notebook would be targeted toward the high end (for people who can afford a MacPro desktop AND a portable), but why not go low-end?

Wouldn't that be the perfect switcher machine since potential switchers are those PC-drones who are even intimidated by BYOKBMM?

Wouldn't a mini MacBook be the perfect complement to an AppleTV or an ipod for a new buyer?

Shouldn't apple have something that dips into the high end of the emerging OLPC market?

Finally, wouldn't a MacBook mini in roughly the same footprint of an AppleTV be just about right? (Photoshoppers start your wacomms!)

EDIT- Ok, scratch the last one, I think a useful subnotebook should have at least an 8.5" wide screen to make reading a standard sized document tolerable.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Today, ThinkSecret is talking about aluminum iMacs.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0706imacwwdc.html

What caught my attention this article is the assertion that Apple's desire to move the iMac 'up-market' was the motivation behind the design change. I think a big reason that Apple has allowed the Mini to stagnate is clear product line delineation, particularly on the low-end.

I know Apple has, in the past, offered overlapping product lines. However today's product mix is different. Across the board, Apple's products have very clear differences. I think that Apple has been wary of allowing the Mini to encroach on the iMac's near iconic market presence. If the Mini were to perform at the levels we all want it to, many people in the market would begin to view it as a viable alternative to the iMac. This is not what Apple wants.

Anyhow, if a new iMac is released, and it is positioned as a premium product, then I believe the door is wide open for a more powerful Mini. At the very least, I think we can expect a third configuration offered t the top. This might be sold for just under $1k.