Apple building stockpile of 3 million iPhones for launch?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple, historically under-stocked and overwhelmed when it comes to high-profile product launches, may have a surprise up its sleeve come June 29th -- the day it plans to revolutionize the cell phone industry.

If sources cozying up to BusinessWeek's Peter Burrows are earnest, there are about 3 million reasons to believe that every iPhone line waiter will walk away from an AT&T or Apple retail store later this month clenching what they came for.

"Still, Apple will need to execute flawlessly. In units built and shipped, the iPhone launch will dwarf anything Apple has attempted," Burrows wrote. "It plans to have 3 million iPhones ready for sale on June 29, two sources say."

As the report notes, the iPod wasn't an immediate hit when it first came to market back in 2001. Although the iconic digital music players have now sold in excess of 100 million, Apple had years to ramp up production.

"Jobs did so expertly, often creating a sense of scarcity by running slightly short of demand," Burrows implies. "With all the buildup over the iPhone, pumping up demand will be the least of his concerns."

The BusinessWeek reporter suggests the Apple co-founder, having driven demand to ridiculous levels, is now poised to cash in on all the hoopla with a blockbuster day-one.

Of course, that would mean that manufacturing ramp has been in full swing for some time and that those analyst reports of "less than 40" iPhones per AT&T store were based on cleverly-crafted misinformation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    AAPL is dropping today... could the big boys be cashing out early?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    That's a lofty goal. I hope they meet it, just to make the competition set up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

• Reply 3 of 51
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

AAPL is still up, over yesterday ... just not the $4.00 that it was earlier.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Curious, how many cellphone users in the US?

I know Apple sold 1,000,000 1G nanos in 17 days, but 3,000,000 iPhones for the US at launch just seems a bit ridiculous to me. 3,000,000 3G iPhones in October for Europe would however make sense. Apple is aiming for 10,000,000 iPhones in 2008, I personally wouldn't be surprised if that was more towards 30,000,000 worldwide for 2008. A great launch surprise would be if the storage was 8 and 16Gig though.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I wonder - is meeting initial demand actually in Apple's interest? Would it generate more buzz if they sold out quickly and the waiting lists were long? I guess in the long run it doesn't make much difference.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I wonder - is meeting initial demand actually in Apple's interest? Would it generate more buzz if they sold out quickly and the waiting lists were long? I guess in the long run it doesn't make much difference.

I doubt they'll have 3 million units. ML reported that they would only have 200k-300k at launch.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    go bananago banana Posts: 96member
    I heard from an AT&T henchmen that they're going to have a billion units ready for launch and are expecting to sell out in a matter of seconds.

\ That makes me wonder... has there ever been a billion units of anything, ever, sold? That would be like 16% of humans buying a product. Serious market share!
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

\ That makes me wonder... has there ever been a billion units of anything, ever, sold? That would be like 16% of humans buying a product. Serious market share!

McDonalds Hamburgers.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

McDonalds Hamburgers.

And Burgerkings', and I'd say a few makes of golf ball too.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:

I heard from an AT&T henchmen that they're going to have a billion units ready for launch and are expecting to sell out in a matter of seconds.

Water.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    **replied to wrong post**
  • Reply 12 of 51
    I hope you told this guy you wasn't born yesterday. A billion units buit up.

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 51
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think in this case, it would be better for them to have them on hand then not.. PS3 were hot at xmas but once the buzz that they are not around wore off.. who wants one.. (makes one helluva good blu ray player) to bad stevie did not add a blu ray to apple tv
  • Reply 14 of 51
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Just think if they moved a million units on day one (and if they have them, they will). That would be over a half billion dollars changing hands all for a little white plastic box that makes phone calls.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Just think if they moved a million units on day one (and if they have them, they will). That would be over a half billion dollars changing hands all for a little white plastic box that makes phone calls.

It would be especially amazing, as the iPhone is black (and chrome).

• Reply 16 of 51
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    AT&T network crashes, no customer is able to use their phones.

Problem seems to originate from all the bandwidth being used by the new 3,000,000 iPhones that were activated at over 2000 Apple & AT&T stores.

• Reply 17 of 51
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

White plastic?

It's not white plastic, it's metal.

(beaten to it)
  • Reply 18 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

AAPL is still up, over yesterday ... just not the $4.00 that it was earlier.

It's 124.069 at closing, which was a few moments ago, up 0.4290.

A high of 127.61.

All the markets were down. NASD down 45.80.

That's the main reason the price wouldn't hold.

MSFT down 0.67 to 29.62.

Dell down 0.36 to 26.99.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    eruithildureruithildur Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

AT&T network crashes, no customer is able to use their phones.

Problem seems to originate from all the bandwidth being used by the new 3,000,000 iPhones that were activated at over 2000 Apple & AT&T stores.

Not to mention everyone's btching about the internet running slow with all the new heavy users...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A great launch surprise would be if the storage was 8 and 16Gig though.

That would be glorious.