Apple building stockpile of 3 million iPhones for launch?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post

This is unconfirmed. The two "sources" are not cited. I find it hard to believe that with all the problems Apple had late in the development cycle (battery issues, software updates, etc) that they have been able to just crank out 3 million iPhones. I'm still banking on 200-300k units at launch with production slowly increasing from there.

I wish I knew how many AT&T stores there were. Since most stores expect to be getting 30-40 units, you could just multiply the two numbers, plus an estimate of 50-100 per Apple store (of which there are not that many) to figure out how many iPhones there really will be at launch.

Edit: so apparently there are roughly 10,000 AT&T stores, but I think that includes those tiny kiosk stores which probably one get more than a couple of iPhones. Even at 40 phones for every single store, that's only 400,000. Throw in the 150 or so Apple stores at 100 iPhones apiece, and you're still looking at a total of less than half a million.

Come to think of it even 200K is overestimating. As of 2006 there are around 180 stores open in the US. Plus around 1,800 AT&T retail stores. Based on this, on the day of the launch there will be approximately 1800*40 + 180*100 = 90,000 iPhones sold. Or maybe not
  • Reply 42 of 51
    pixel19pixel19 Posts: 13member
    I'd rather wait on a phone to get in stock then wait hours or days on the phone trying to get activated.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

There may be 10,000 AT&T 'resellers' but only approximately 2000 corporate locations will be selling the iPhone.

Hm, has it been said that the iPhone will not be available at resellers? I missed have missed that memo I got the 10,000 number from an article on Yahoo, so perhaps it's inaccurate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Come to think of it even 200K is overestimating. As of 2006 there are around 180 stores open in the US. Plus around 1,800 AT&T retail stores. Based on this, on the day of the launch there will be approximately 1800*40 + 180*100 = 90,000 iPhones sold. Or maybe not

I feel like Apple would be foolish to come to market with less than 200,000 iPhones. Demand is going to be pretty strong, and the hype is greater than that for the PS3/Wii, both of which had well over 200,000 units available at launch. I still think the actual number will be between a quarter and half a million. Apple is generally pretty good about supply issues, so I don't think they'll let the shelves sit empty for long, and will continue to bring iPhones out as fast as they possibly can, although that won't stop us from buying them faster than they can make them
  • Reply 44 of 51
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

It would be especially amazing, as the iPhone is black (and chrome).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

AT&T network crashes, no customer is able to use their phones.

Problem seems to originate from all the bandwidth being used by the new 3,000,000 iPhones that were activated at over 2000 Apple & AT&T stores.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post

This is unconfirmed. The two "sources" are not cited. I find it hard to believe that with all the problems Apple had late in the development cycle (battery issues, software updates, etc) that they have been able to just crank out 3 million iPhones. I'm still banking on 200-300k units at launch with production slowly increasing from there.

I wish I knew how many AT&T stores there were. Since most stores expect to be getting 30-40 units, you could just multiply the two numbers, plus an estimate of 50-100 per Apple store (of which there are not that many) to figure out how many iPhones there really will be at launch.

Edit: so apparently there are roughly 10,000 AT&T stores, but I think that includes those tiny kiosk stores which probably one get more than a couple of iPhones. Even at 40 phones for every single store, that's only 400,000. Throw in the 150 or so Apple stores at 100 iPhones apiece, and you're still looking at a total of less than half a million.

I think they could easily have 3,000,000 ready. They announced it six months ago. Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote:

There may be 10,000 AT&T 'resellers' but only approximately 2000 corporate locations will be selling the iPhone.

Exactly. There aren't 10,000 stores.

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. No way they can have 3 million iPhones in stock, would also bet my money on 200-300K tops \ .

That's a risky bet. I'd say 60/40 in your favor.

Quote:

And...what about the Apple stores, online sales, etc?
  • Reply 45 of 51
    ginsterginster Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ridiculous! Of course you must wait in line! And right after purchasing said iPhone, you must rush to your local movie theater to see Steve Jobs'... er, Disney+Pixar's Ratatouille!

Please be courteous and silence your iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Hello, new guy here, but a long time lurker. I have yet see if there is any word on being able to buy the iPhone without signing a contract? Are you obligated to sign a contract with payment?

In my situation, like most, I work for a living and I'm tempted to send my Mom to buy one, but I don't want her to deal with contract stuff. I would like to do that later, if possible. Thanks for any input.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I think they could easily have 3,000,000 ready. They announced it six months ago. Sounds like a plan to me.

Exactly. There aren't 10,000 stores.

That's a risky bet. I'd say 60/40 in your favor.

And...what about the Apple stores, online sales, etc?

I'd say 80/20 but thanks anyway.

I already mentioned the 180 Apple stores in the US, didn't I??? Good point about the online sales though that would maybe double the number.

Maybe 3,000,000 is not that huge of a number. After all it accounts for just 1% of the US population
  • Reply 48 of 51
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Here's a story AI should get on. Apple got off kind of lucky in a way for NOT having 3G in the iPhone, as many 3G chipsets/phones are affected by this bombshell ruling:

The case involves phones based on two types of high-speed wireless technology, EV-DO -- for which Qualcomm is the dominant chip supplier -- and W-CDMA.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070607/qualc...dcom.html?.v=6

• Reply 49 of 51
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    DeadWing,

there are only rumors of a "pay-as-you-go" option for the iPhone. the most recent hopes for that would be apple removing the "2 year contract required" disclaimer from the new ads. i don't think anyone here can say w/ any certainty that at&t will/will not provide the option on the iPhone. sorry... however here's a brandy new article claiming not only prepaid, but ALSO preorders...

read on: http://www.electronista.com/articles...orders.prepay/
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Apple now has two vendors providing iPhones. The original vendor, Foxconn (Shenzhen China), has been complemented by Quanta (Kunshan, China).
  • Reply 51 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Could it be that they are only ramping up the high end ones? if each store gets say 50 high end ones and like 2-3 low end ones, then many people may upgrade just to get it "now" I mean we are talking about the kind of mental-fuckups that would pay $500 for a phone with contract in the first place so...