MacBook Pro update; Philla mayor an iPhone 'waiter'; NYC line

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday evening released a software update for its most recent line of Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pro notebooks. Meanwhile, Philadelphia's mayor was spotted amongst those camping out for iPhone in The City of Brotherly Love. And check out the swelling iPhone line outside Apple's Midtown Manhattan retail store.

MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0

MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 [14.7MB], released Thursday evening, provides "important bug fixes and is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models."

Apple provides little other information on the software update, which joins an earlier SuperDrive firmware update for the same models and requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.

Philadelphia Mayor John Street amongst the campers

Who said iPhone line waiting is just for geeks and Apple fanboys? Certainly not Philadelphia Mayor John Street, who was spotted early Friday morning waiting patiently in his lawn chair on a South Philadelphia sidewalk, hoping to get his hands on the new Apple handset later today.

Street said he was No. 3 in a line of about six people, but said he was sure things would pick up later in the day.

"I'm out here with the rest of the gang, and we're all waiting for the iPhone," said Street, a self-proclaimed technology advocate. "This is the latest and I?m going to have it."

Kudos to Mr. Street.

Midtown Manhattan iPhone line stretches

Meanwhile, it's a media circus in Midtown Manhattan at the site of Apple's subterranean retail store, where news crews have anchored themselves in droves. As of 8:30 a.m. Friday morning, the line outside the Fifth Ave. shop had snaked its way around Madison Ave. It's a shame they're calling for some heavy rain a bit later in the day...

Photos compliments of www.cheechandchong.com

Photos compliments of www.cheechandchong.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Who said iPhone line waiting is just for geeks and Apple fanboys? Certainly not Philadelphia Mayor John Street, who was spotted early Friday morning waiting patiently in his lawn chair on a South Philadelphia sidewalk, hoping to get his hands on the new Apple handset later today.

"I'm out here with the rest of the gang, and we're all waiting for the iPhone," said Street, a self-proclaimed technology advocate. "This is the latest and I?m going to have it."

Sounds like a geek and/or fanboy to me.

Also, just curious, I've never been a line waiter, but what do people do with all that shit they bring with them to wait in line....once they get in? (lawn chairs, food, books.....) Do they haul all that stuff in with them?

First post! w00t!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Now that's a crowd!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I wonder what happens when they have to use the restroom.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Sounds like a geek and/or fanboy to me.

Also, just curious, I've never been a line waiter, but what do people do with all that shit they bring with them to wait in line....once they get in? (lawn chairs, food, books.....) Do they haul all that stuff in with them?

First post! w00t!

• Reply 4 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Philly's tax dollars hard at work eh?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    The little at&t store by my subway station had around 20 waiting at 9 am NYC. I just hope they still have one for me when I get in line at 5:30pm
  • Reply 6 of 27
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

The little at&t store by my subway station had around 20 waiting at 9 am NYC. I just hope they still have one for me when I get in line at 5:30pm

I know this isn't worth even asking, but is the line long at SoHo? I'll never get in.

And does anyone else think that Apple will put all the computers in the back-room and just fill the store with iPhones? I hope so... then they;ll take the computers back out in two days. Because they cancelled (or didn't schedule) any programs for today and tomorrow, so I figured the store would just be filled with iPhones for the time being. It would make sense. Now I'm rambling.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

... why should we single out Mayor Street?

heh. it's mayor street, on the street.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Philly's tax dollars hard at work eh?

Yeah, but just think how organized he'll be once he gets his iPhone - much more productive I'm sure. Besides the other high ranking public officials are probably just teeing off at the country club about now so why should we single out Mayor Street?

m
  • Reply 9 of 27
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Yeah, but just think how organized he'll be once he gets his iPhone - much more productive I'm sure. Besides the other high ranking public officials are probably just teeing off at the country club about now so why should we single out Mayor Street?

m

Agreed. Perhaps he took a couple days of vacation. Curious that there's no security for him.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

There's gonna be a ton of security down there believe me.

Yea, all the mayor has to do is stand next to an iPhone display. Probably has more security than the mayor could get anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I wonder what happens when they have to use the restroom.

It's like a family out there. There are 24 hours mcdonalds they can use to wash up. The other people save his place. The chairs and such folds up or they'll just leave the stuff outside. There's tons of security so they'll watch your stuff.

Almost as many people as the day the store opened. Most are people in their 20s.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

Agreed. Perhaps he took a couple days of vacation. Curious that there's no security for him.

There's gonna be a ton of security down there believe me.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    i waited 12 hours to get a wii, but i don't understand why you'd wait in line for an apple product release. the wii had to be purchased in stores, and when the online outlets like amazon ran out, they just were sold out and you couldn't buy them.

even when apple is out of a product you can still buy online and they put you on the list and you don't have to wait. if i had the money, i'd just buy the iphone online when it launches and probably have to wait 2-3 weeks. who cares? i'm not going to waste days of my life waiting in line. 12 hours for wii was enough torture (especially because of the little kids there!)
  • Reply 14 of 27
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheechandchongdotcom View Post

Most are people in their 20s.

Not 'people' - men. I wonder how many women look at those lines of men lining up to buy their toys and just walk on by shaking their heads?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Not 'people' - men. I wonder how many women look at those lines of men lining up to buy their toys and just walk on by shaking their heads?

so what? women shake their heads at men all the time! most guys just ignore it and do what they please. i think the iphon and other techie toys are more useful than clothes and shoes.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

so what? women shake their heads at men all the time! most guys just ignore it and do what they please. i think the iphon and other techie toys are more useful than clothes and shoes.

careful big fella... lets not get into a shoes & clothes versus techie toys debate, that get's nastier than windows versus mac... or at least it's more risky...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

i waited 12 hours to get a wii, but i don't understand why you'd wait in line for an apple product release. the wii had to be purchased in stores, and when the online outlets like amazon ran out, they just were sold out and you couldn't buy them.

even when apple is out of a product you can still buy online and they put you on the list and you don't have to wait. if i had the money, i'd just buy the iphone online when it launches and probably have to wait 2-3 weeks. who cares? i'm not going to waste days of my life waiting in line. 12 hours for wii was enough torture (especially because of the little kids there!)

What, you mean you can't buy a wii anymore? Oh, its just that you really wanted a wii (xmas gift, I take it?).
  • Reply 18 of 27
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

But most women won't stand in line 12 hours to get a new pair of shoes (they will for a wedding dress on deep discount - you all are paying full price!).
  • Reply 19 of 27
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:

why should we single out Mayor Street?

Because he's the worst mayor in the history of Philadelphia
  • Reply 20 of 27
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

i'm not going to waste days of my life waiting in line.

Fine. I will never get why people get so upset when other people think different.

If waiting in line for an iPhone is wasted time for you, then DON'T DO IT. Some people enjoy the change, the drama, the excitement. Maybe for them it is not wasted time. Now, I'm not a tech toy line waiter and I understand there isn't really any reason to wait for this product, but if people get some charge out of this-- I think it is fine.

I waited in line 12 hours to see Star Wars Episode 1. The movie would be showing for months and I would see it again later with no wait, but looking back on it, the time spent in line was far and away the most memorable and enjoyable part of the whole movie. I met interesting people had stimulating conversation and overall thoroughly enjoyed it. My employees came to visit me in line and even my wife (girlfriend at the time) delivered pizza to the circus though she had no concept of why I was there.