There is nothing left for Apple to do

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'd like to start a thread with your guesses about the next 10 new markets Apple will go into. There is really nothing obvious left. Everything Mac users have asked for over the years Apple has come out with in the form they thought was best. We wanted a cell phone and got one. The Newton became the iPhone. The video iPod became the iPhone. AppleTV is the digital hub. We got an office package and Apple went Intel so we never have to be behind in processors. We needed a browser because IE sucked. We can run Windows if necessary and play all those Windows games. We got an internet service though .Mac is somewhat of a disappointment. The iTunes store is less than four years old and was just a rumor at one time. But the problem is that almost all of the basics have been exhausted.

Now here's a staggering thought. Think of all that stuff above and imagine if Apple puts out that much new stuff in the next four years as they did in the last four years. What could it be? With the basics all done and $500m to $1 billion rolling in a quarter what will Apple do? Buying a phone company or music company is not out of the question. Some real contribution to video games is possible since the Wii shows new things can be done. How about some shocking additions to OS X that move away from the basic way OSes have worked for the last 20 years? Or how about a massive attack on Microsoft Office by making a PC version of iWork and selling it for $39? Or a $300 Mac for a limited time to get millions of people hooked?

So four years from now what will Apple have done and what will their position in the industry be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

So four years from now what will Apple have done and what will their position in the industry be?

1). Media Center Mac.

2) Automobile NAV/ entertainment system.

Their position in the tech industry will be greater than it is now.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Mid to end of 2011. Google owns Apple. Ive runs the consumer show, Jobs is officially retired but consults for $2.50yr. The Google boys do their thing whatever that is, flying around on their 777s and yanking Yankovich.

(Google/Apple) is deep into automobile OS. Heads up on the windshield, boom (eek) it works. voice dialing, voice spotlight of everything, mobile connectivity to all your stuff. What you have at home is what you have in your car, and vice versa. it just doesn't matter where it exists (media, etc), you have it, and you really don't know where it is, on the net, at your house or all of it. Doesn't matter.

Google/Apple is embedded in the home. Because your home is your base. Your TV, your security, your media has its redundant storage. But you don't know how it works, just serves your needs flawlessly.

Google/Apple controls several spectrums.... phone, media, all served through mobile container style hubs scattered around the world.

This is the beginning of the singularity which is achieved early February 2016.

Then the greys show up, Jobs removes his mask and is revealed as Ziltoid. (Devin ref.

--------

But....

More likely, small improvements iWork + iStuff 2011, OS XI 11.2, iPhone 3G (lol).
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Mid to end of 2011. Google owns Apple. Ive runs the consumer show, Jobs is officially retired but consults for $2.50yr. The Google boys do their thing whatever that is, flying around on their 777s and yanking Yankovich.

(Google/Apple) is deep into automobile OS. Heads up on the windshield, boom (eek) it works. voice dialing, voice spotlight of everything, mobile connectivity to all your stuff. What you have at home is what you have in your car, and vice versa. it just doesn't matter where it exists (media, etc), you have it, and you really don't know where it is, on the net, at your house or all of it. Doesn't matter.

Google/Apple is embedded in the home. Because your home is your base. Your TV, your security, your media has its redundant storage. But you don't know how it works, just serves your needs flawlessly.

Google/Apple controls several spectrums.... phone, media, all served through mobile container style hubs scattered around the world.

This is the beginning of the singularity which is achieved early February 2016.

Then the greys show up, Jobs removes his mask and is revealed as Ziltoid. (Devin ref.

I see one minor flaw in your thought process. It would be a partnership between google and , not google owning them.

This will be the order of events:

1. Media Center (TV+Tivo+Mac Mini)

2. Tablet (it's still coming)

3. Teaming with google for iPhone-esque GPS

4. xMac

5. Wireless power systems

6. Supercomputers

7. World domination

8. All devices even remotely technological (at this point, everything)

9. Universe Domination

10. Implosion. At this point since the Universe is Apple, this is the end of... well... everything. Time, matter, and energy pretty much just stop.

Ok, I kinda started making things up at 5, but you get the idea.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Mac mini Pro (media center)

A/V Remote Control
  • Reply 5 of 30
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Here are the moves i want them to make, most of them are not realistic:

Apple buys autodesk or makes their own 3d modeling software, both plans involve modo being bought by apple and possible planetside as well.

Apple continues their focus on pro products

Apple figures out a way to natively run DX10 based programs and games inside of OSX with no add on software

Apple makes one revolutionary realease in that time, i dont know what.

Apple developes a full multitouched based OS that is also physics based

Apple starts selling apple TV prepackaged inside other companies products

iWork is released to run on windows machines

Apple buys Crytek and creates the cry 3 engine by mid 2008. It will feature the most advanced game graphics ever created in a consumor level game. They also purchase x-plane because that is a direct attack into microsoft's territory.

OSX becomes 128 bit.

Oh, eventually they release this as well:

• Reply 6 of 30
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

5. Wireless power systems

Ok, I kinda started making things up at 5, but you get the idea.

No, theoretically wirless power is in the near future. It would be better if apple fully developed every idea of tesla, especially the ones when he sort of started lossing it.

He invision charging the entire earth's atmosphere so that power could be pulled down anywhere anytime on any scale. you would never have to charge anything ever again.

(this probably would not work the way tesla wanted it to)
  • Reply 7 of 30
    2011: Apple designs a mouse that works right, rather than 'looks good'. The world spontaneously combusts. The moon falls into the pacific, where it used to be.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Riiight. You're either a gamer who needs 10 buttons (best left to the niche market thanks) or you've never used a mighty mouse.

wrong. ive owned almost every apple product since 84 other than the lisa, cube, and xserve. the MM is crap. squeeze buttons? stupid. right click with left finger on MM? not working. ball gummed up? yup.

and here i type this on iphone that kills the ipod functionality if you browse in safari. wtf, multitask? not working.

apple is and has good products, but too many noob developers = buggy .
  • Reply 9 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    New markets for Apple:

Touch-screen in-car entertainment and navigation systems.

And obvious one, televisions.

iPTV Subscription Service.

Multi-touch tablets.

Touch-screen desktop keyboards. I call them Screenboards®

Computer mice, I don't think they're in that market

Oh, it's not a new market per-say, but Apple should buy Adobe before 2010, before someone like MS does.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Intel and Apple merge to become Apptel

or

Google and Apple merge to become Goople

or

Intel, Apple and Google merge to become Goaptel

or

Intel, Nvidia, Apple = Invidaple

or

Anyone seen my coat?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Would be nice to see this happen:

- Intel and Nvidia merge and perfect the art of super small chipsets that are at the cutting egde of performance, incorporating the best of CPU, GPU and RAM technology on a single IC with help of nano-tech manufacturing process.

- Material costs are a fraction of todays prices due to new fabrication processes, allowing RAM to be on the same die as the C/GPU for super high capacity and low latancy

- Same technology used for mass storage devices - no need for hard disks

- Virtually all bottlenecks for data reduced to a fraction of todays specs

- Nano-manufactured SED monitors, for ultra-crisp displays with super wide gamuts...

Oh I forgot...4 years? Well, we'll need to have help from aliens for this to be done by 2010 :-p
  • Reply 12 of 30
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

There is really nothing obvious left.

Nothing obvious left? What?

As Apple expands, it should expand its hardware offerings to branch out of the market niches it is currently in.

Computer-related products Apple should release:

1.) xMac

2.) 15" MacBook

3.) 17" MacBook

4.) 13" MacBook Pro

(2.), 3.) and 4.) together essentially mean: make the MacBook and MacBook Pro line-up fully BTO configurable, so you stop tying screen-size to computing power. For example, people should be able to mix the slowest CPU, smallest HDD and least amount of RAM with the biggest screen if they want.)

5.) Ultra-portable laptop (not sure it should be MacBook or MacBook Pro branded. Perhaps MacBook Nano).

6.) A compelling, easy to use, NAS (networked attached storage). This should have RAID options, should be optimised for low power use (could run OS X on ARM-based chip, like the iPhone), and run a web server (with dynamic DNS courtesy of .mac), iTunes server (which can be used with AppleTV), and work seamlessly with Time Machine. The promise of NAS is high, but the execution so far by other companies is poor - they are too "techy". Apple need to deliver a solution for the masses.

7.) Desktop keyboard with backlight.

8.) Wireless keyboard with built-in backlight and trackpad, for use with HTPC when sitting on your sofa.

9.) A "real" HTPC - full-size HDDs in those silencing and heat dissipative jackets, a mobile Core 2 Duo with massive heat sink for passive cooling with no fan, GPU drivers optimised for maximum picture quality, support for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, including HD audio via HDMI, DVR solution.

10.) A decent mouse.

Non-computer related:

1.) Expansion of iPhone line, just as Apple expanded the iPod line.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Someone mentioned that Apple is gaining market share because is its simpler product range (amongst other factors of course)

I can't see them producing more screen sizes for their product range. Perhaps more BTO orders, but this will only slow production of those items.

Apple pride themselves of getting Macs to stores super quick - they like to make the annoucement that their products are available TODAY! With a short time from order to delivery. BTOs will slow this.

I would imagine Apple will keep their range as close to the bleeding edge as possible with a smaller product range to keep production times to market low. They know current Mac users will not switch back to PC.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    more sophisticated intergration

voice recognition integrated across the board

biometrics across the board

home sever with built in wifi --with easy plug in HD so i can keep all my stuff on it and access from any home mac. my data, photos, itunes "stuff" are on 3 different macs, it's hard to maintain this ----it's the apple way to reduce confusion and ease backup...so apple get to it,. this could also serve to "stream" content to connected devices including a 50 inch apple tv/ monitor.

in 2-4 years all laptops will be led lit and use flash memory no more spinning platters.

OLED screens.

on line services, iWork, etc. like google. docs.

more developer support
  • Reply 15 of 30
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Riiight. You're either a gamer who needs 10 buttons (best left to the niche market thanks) or you've never used a mighty mouse.

I'm on my fourth mighty mouse. The design is OK but the quality of construction is shit. The scroll balls keep dying.

Yes, I've tried all the helpful guides like rubbing it on a wet cloth, or sticking a needle in next to the ball.

Amorya
  • Reply 16 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think we'll see Apple's venture into the auto business.

Maybe just tight integration where the car syncs up with iTunes via Wi-Fi when it parks in the driveway and uses AT&T to bring all the data and voice service to the road that you want.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple will even make the whole car, rethinking door locks, power windows, navigation, etc. It'd be a long ways away, though.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

2011: Apple designs a mouse that works right, rather than 'looks good'. The world spontaneously combusts. The moon falls into the pacific, where it used to be.

also, you can use most any mouse that you buy with OSX just by plugging it in. Some have speial drivers and software but they should still work as a mouse, just dont expect a special program for controling it.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Apple branded Holodecks....
  • Reply 19 of 30
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

Charles H. Duell, U.S. Commissioner of Patents, in 1899.

I don't think we've seen the end of Apple new innovations.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see some sort of Car media system in the very near future (iPod / iNav / Wi-Fi / Hard drive / etc - park it in your garage and it syncs with your iTunes library over Wi-Fi, iPhone intergration, Google maps / GPS, based on OS X, etc , etc, etc)

Also, it's in my belief that somebody our kids will look back at our portable devices and think "what? your battery was that big? and it only lasted for how many hours??). Battery technology must surely get better. Think of a MacBook without the extra weight that lasts months on a charge. Then think if all the other stuff that could be made wireless with such battery technology - computers, monitors, keyboards/mice, speakers and all the innovative things that could be done without battery limitations, etc. It's one of those 'hard to think of' ideas that will soemday be so obvious.

Other things - the Mac Pro will get smaller, displays will get very high resolution (again, our kids will look back at our HD and think it looks pixelated), Apple will release more kick-ass software (creative apps competing with Adobe, autodesk), multi-touch will get some very innovative use, the list goes on.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Apple will do what Sony is trying to do, only better. I really think the iMac is morphing into a media center type device. When large display panels get cheaper that's when we'll see it.