iPod Touch unpacking tour and first look (photos)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The iPod Touch just went on sale, so we made our way down to get one before the Apple Stores even admitted they had them in stock. Hidden away in cabinets behind the register, they were only being sold to those who asked for them by name. We raced home with a 16GB model and took some quality unboxing and iPhone comparison photos.

The Touch comes in a box similar to the iPhone, but only about half as deep. On the cover is Corinne Bailey Rae, a fresh-face artist that might remind you of Norah Jones, Macy Gray, and a bit of Billie Holiday.

Inside the box, the Touch lays in a black tray otherwise identical to the clear version of the iPhone's packaging. Everything else hides within a black envelope and a white package.

The Touch itself is a few*millimeters thinner than the iPhone; 8 mm versus 11.6 mm, but it appears to be about half as thick and feels considerably thinner in the hand.

When flipped over, the Touch exposes that it's not just an iPhone without a cellular antenna; its an iPod. Rather than a buff aluminum finish with a polished Apple logo, the Touch has the iconic polished aluminum back with a textured logo. The top corner features a black plastic window for the WiFi antenna in place of the iPhone's camera, and it has a wake button just like the iPhone, although its on the opposite end of the top edge. Like the Nano, it has a headphone jack at the bottom of the unit next to the Dock connector. There are no speakers like the iPhone.

That means the Touch is destined to end up looking like previous iPods. My 30GB 3G iPod delivered just under twice the*storage in a much larger package with all the fancy screen and touch features. (Don't laugh now Touch, because in two years you'll look just as scoured up.) Fortunately, at least the screen side will still look nice, thanks to the same glass face as the iPhone.**

The Touch is far thinner than the old iPod due to its use of Flash RAM. It's still considerably thinner than the iPhone.*

Inside the black box is a couple Apple stickers, a photo*pamphlet*demonstrating its features, another booklet of legalese, and a screen sized polishing cloth embossed with "iPod."

Rip open the white package and out jumps a USB cable, standard set of iPod headphones, a form fitting Dock adapter, and a mysterious clear bit of plastic.

What's this?

A display stand:

Of course, when placed in the stand vertically, its no good as a music player, because it blocks the headphone port, and the unit has no speakers. I suppose one could use it as a picture frame.

It also works horizontally, making it functional as a Coverflow-oriented jukebox or as a movie player, so you can watch video without holding it.

Mine shipped out of the box with no charge at all, but as soon as I plugged it in, it told me to go to iTunes. I didn't immediately realize that I'd plugged in a FireWire cable. As with all iPods, the Touch needs a USB cable to sync, but will still charge over an old FireWire one. Once plugged in correctly, iTunes asked me to register, but allowed me to skip that step and go to the typical setup page.

While syncing and charging, the Touch displays the same graphics as the iPhone. Its face looks subtly different than the iPhone due to different styling features. Rather than a shiny chrome frame, the Touch features a black anodized metal plate frame surrounding the screen, similar to the modern generation of "all metal" iPods. There's no iPhone-style headset ear speaker, and the home button is slightly smaller. The Touch also does not support the iPhone's 'tap to skip' mic-integrated headphones. They still work for audio output of course, but the Touch lacks a fourth conductor on the headphone jack, so there's no way to use the iPhone's mic, a second strike for the potential of VoIP after its lack of Bluetooth.

The Touch's menus are slightly different different too, with a new mix of applications on the home screen. No Stocks, Maps, Notes, or Weather, but there is a Contacts icon (the iPhone's contacts are hidden away on the Phone page). Safari appears in the home page icons rather than in the dock like the iPhone, and there's no Mail application at all. The Calculator is there unchanged except--oddly enough--for its icon, which is now black with a light grey frame. There's also no Camera (and no camera), or a Photos icon among the home page buttons. Photos are still there, just placed in the dock-like tray at the bottom. The Touch also sports new icons for Music and Videos in the dock instead of hiding both behind "iPod" as the iPhone does. There is also the new WiFi Store icon labeled simply "iTunes."*

The Dock itself is different than the iPhone, too. While the iPhone has four icons sitting in a solid, light-grey band of a dock that fully surrounds the icons, the new Touch has a more subtle,* Leopard-like dock that appears to be a lighly frosted sheet of glass indirectly illuminated and tilted at an angle. The dock icons cast a reflection onto it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 119
    I'm not seeing any photos. Where are they?
  • Reply 2 of 119
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne View Post

I'm not seeing any photos. Where are they?

Click the [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ] link =P

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 119
    Wow!

I am not in the market for an iPod, but that looks freakin´awesome!

I want. I want.

Thanks for the pics--they are very informative.
  • Reply 4 of 119
    Nice! Hopefully I'll be getting one of those during the holidays :-)
  • Reply 5 of 119
    Question: will the Touch display Java, Flash, or PDF content?

I would expect these are commonly encountered on the web, and if I had only the NYT homepage to look at I would be quite irked. :-P
  • Reply 6 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

I would expect these are commonly encountered on the web, and if I had only the NYT homepage to look at I would be quite irked. :-P

No flash, java script, and no idea about the pdf's
  • Reply 7 of 119
    Quote:

If it's like the iPhone, then Flash--no (not yet anyway), Java no (probably not ever), but PDF yes, and JavaScript yes. Many Flash sites will work without Flash using alternate content (all should but not all do). Of course Flash games and video would be very welcome!
  • Reply 8 of 119
    So will I get mine from Apple.com soon?
  • Reply 9 of 119
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Somehow, I was expecting that the stand be more substantial. I suppose it's fine that way, though I don't know how one would carry it around, unless it's only supposed to be used on the home desk.

It sure looks pretty nifty. If I didn't already have too many iPods, I might consider this or the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If it's like the iPhone, then Flash--no (not yet anyway), Java no (probably not ever), but PDF yes, and JavaScript yes. Many Flash sites will work without Flash using alternate content (all should but not all do). Of course Flash games and video would be very welcome!

iPhone can do pdfs? I didn't know that. I really want to be able to browse PDFs while I commute via train. Does the iPhone view pdfs via Safari? Or does it use some other kind of app?

(Sorry, no iPhones here in Japan to play with...)
  • Reply 11 of 119
    Quote:

iPhone can do pdfs? I didn't know that. I really want to be able to browse PDFs while I commute via train. Does the iPhone view pdfs via Safari? Or does it use some other kind of app?

(Sorry, no iPhones here in Japan to play with...)

It uses Safari to display the PDFs, and it works quite well.

One thing I love about the wifi connection is that any Podcast on a website (iPhone users can do this over EDGE too) is playable in Safari using the QuickTime imbedded tools. Makes that 8 or 16 GB seem a lot bigger when you don't have to store Podcasts, just the safari bookmarks.

Haven't tried streaming radio . . . I am assuming this works if they use QT Streaming Server?
  • Reply 12 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Click the [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ] link =P

Best,

K

Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 119
    The iPod has the iTunes Wifi store? Why doesn't the iPhone have it yet? I'm anxious to start impulse buying when I'm out and about!
  • Reply 14 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

It uses Safari to display the PDFs, and it works quite well.

One thing I love about the wifi connection is that any Podcast on a website (iPhone users can do this over EDGE too) is playable in Safari using the QuickTime imbedded tools. Makes that 8 or 16 GB seem a lot bigger when you don't have to store Podcasts, just the safari bookmarks.

Haven't tried streaming radio . . . I am assuming this works if they use QT Streaming Server?

Thanks for the info. One more follow up.

If I upload a PDF file to the Touch, can it be displayed later? What I hope for is the ability to store some pdf files on the drive so that I can read them at my leisure (instead of only when I just download them in Safari).
  • Reply 15 of 119
    WOW NO FLASH? I thought APPLE are for designers. I am not buying this then.. I just saved myself $160 cause looks like I'll get the Apple nano 4GB instead. YEA YEA!!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 119
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. One more follow up.

If I upload a PDF file to the Touch, can it be displayed later? What I hope for is the ability to store some pdf files on the drive so that I can read them at my leisure (instead of only when I just download them in Safari).

Only way I know to do that is to email it to yourself.
  • Reply 17 of 119
    Does the unit allow storage/act as USB drive like normal iPods?

Do Contacts sync fine with contact pictures?

Does Contacts allow yopu to work in landscape mode with a bigger keyboard?

Can you rate photos and sync back to a library like iTunes music?
  • Reply 18 of 119
    So they are now available in ALL Apple Stores?? I'm live on Long Island in NY so I could either go to a local one or take a day and head to the one in NYC. Just wanna see what my options are. Do they have alot of units?
  • Reply 19 of 119
    kaspy, are you saying that all stores have it in stock now and just aren't "open" about it? cause if that's true i'm going to futureshop tommorow D:

edit: excuse the language but what the mother fucking what! Pre-order: Estimated release date: October 12, 2007 at future shop. haha how ghey is that. ordering from apple. either future shop just has retards working for them ( which they do) or it's true D:
  • Reply 20 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aswitcher View Post

Does the unit allow storage/act as USB drive like normal iPods?

Not sure, haven't tried. too lazy to try, I'm sure someone else knows the answer though. I don't think it does.

Quote:

Do Contacts sync fine with contact pictures?

Yes, however, the contact picture in your address book is a small photo, so when it's in the iPhone it won't show up full screen like you see in all the pictures unless you set the photo for a contact with the iPhone. Somehow, I suspect this behavior will be changed in Leopoard and Address Book will start storing higher quality photos.

Quote:

Does Contacts allow yopu to work in landscape mode with a bigger keyboard?

No, only safari does.

Quote:

Can you rate photos and sync back to a library like iTunes music?

It will sync back to iPhoto or Aperture or whatever just fine, but you can't rate the photos.