iPod Touch unpacking tour and first look (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 119
    How about a report on the calendar features? can you enter data then sync to your mac?

That will be the make it or break it for me...
  • Reply 22 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

WOW NO FLASH? I thought APPLE are for designers. I am not buying this then.. I just saved myself $160 cause looks like I'll get the Apple nano 4GB instead. YEA YEA!!!!!!!

All it would take is for the specific iphone/ipod touch software engineers to develop the browsers so they can handle flash. other than that, wifi on the go is a pretty sweet deal. in terms of the phone even getting a blackberry or treo, you're still not getting full browsers like your computer...

in terms of video, MP4s are playable
  • Reply 23 of 119
    Is the iPod Touch capable of disk mode. Can you use it as a removable drive.

John
  • Reply 24 of 119
    Now that its out, bets on how long it takes to get the iphone apps (like google maps and mail) on to the itouch. With the speed of the unlocking software, I expect any day now.
  • Reply 25 of 119
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Why the hell are these in stores already and all the pre-orders have not shipped yet?

My order is still showing 'shipping 28th Sept', which is 2 weeks away.

What is the point of using Apple's own online store, if they are just going to sell them through the stores 2 weeks earlier?

Ian
  • Reply 26 of 119
    yeah WTF how did you know to ask???

i have mine on order but ill be seriously hassling my apple store daily now!

j
  • Reply 27 of 119
    Are you guys positive that it is available at most if not all apple stores. I'm guessing it will be available at the NYC one at least.
  • Reply 28 of 119
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    It's like a Porsche with a 1 gallon fuel tank
  • Reply 29 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Somehow, I was expecting that the stand be more substantial. I suppose it's fine that way, though I don't know how one would carry it around, unless it's only supposed to be used on the home desk.

It sure looks pretty nifty. If I didn't already have too many iPods, I might consider this or the iPhone.

At first I thought it was a blatant oversight on Apple's part that it couldn't be used in portrait mode due to the headphone jack issue, but using in landscape mode would even be better since you can use coverflow when listening to video. Still, I think some people may have wanted the option.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

iPhone can do pdfs? I didn't know that. I really want to be able to browse PDFs while I commute via train. Does the iPhone view pdfs via Safari? Or does it use some other kind of app?

OS X can view PDFs in many of it's native apps. Including Safari, Preview, and Quicktime including several others native OS X apps. It's a beautiful thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

WOW NO FLASH? I thought APPLE are for designers. I am not buying this then.. I just saved myself $160 cause looks like I'll get the Apple nano 4GB instead. YEA YEA!!!!!!!

And real web designers use Flash. Flash is the whore house of the internet; nothing but eye catching fluff that will give you nothing substantial but try to empty your wallet at the same time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Only way I know to do that is to email it to yourself.

Or post it on a website, private or otherwise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daekimal View Post

All it would take is for the specific iphone/ipod touch software engineers to develop the browsers so they can handle flash. other than that, wifi on the go is a pretty sweet deal. in terms of the phone even getting a blackberry or treo, you're still not getting full browsers like your computer.

You are getting a full browser by all 'real' definitions of the word. Windows users don't say theu aren't getting a 'real browser' because they haven't installed QuictkTime.

Last I heard, Flash 7 is pure crap and only runs on the ARM CPU. There is no Flash 9 for the ARM CPU. On top of that, Flash 9 for OS X Tiger is pretty bad all around. Adobe has a lot of work to do to get Flash functional on the Mac much less the iPhone. Furthermore, Flash is software solution. Id est, any Flash site will drain you battery quite rapidly.

Adobe really needs to come up with a Flash chipset updated via firmware if it wants to keep it's Flash monopoly into the next decade. This would render pages faster and use much less power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Why the hell are these in stores already and all the pre-orders have not shipped yet?

My order is still showing 'shipping 28th Sept', which is 2 weeks away.

What is the point of using Apple's own online store, if they are just going to sell them through the stores 2 weeks earlier?

Ian

I could have walked into an Apple Store to get an iPhone but I decided to order online. I opted for overnight shipping, a waste of time when it's coming from China. It was delivered 2 weeks after ordering just as Apple stated. I think it may have to do with prioritizing supply lines.

You can always cancel your order pre-shipping and walk into a store.
  • Reply 30 of 119
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Hey Daniel,

Just for fun, I typed in your iPod touch's serial number - looks like you bought it 13-Oct-07!!
  • Reply 31 of 119
    For the love of all mankind can you see if you can jailbreak it??!
  • Reply 32 of 119
    MacWorld did a video first look and one interesting thing they pointed out is that you can't add events to the Touch calendar as you can in the iPhone. Weird.
  • Reply 33 of 119
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Can you do web-based email on it like yahoo?
  • Reply 34 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

MacWorld did a video first look and one interesting thing they pointed out is that you can't add events to the Touch calendar as you can in the iPhone. Weird.

We know. It has been know for quite a few days, loads of people are complaining about it.

Personally I am not bothered either way, it's no different to my current iPods!
  • Reply 35 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Can you do web-based email on it like yahoo?

Yes, but not all may work. You would need to get someone to try your specific web mail.
  • Reply 36 of 119
    Quote:

Mine shipped out of the box with no charge at all, but as soon as I plugged it in, it told me to go to iTunes. I didn't immediately realize that I'd plugged in a FireWire cable. As with all iPods, the Touch needs a USB cable to sync, but will still charge over an old FireWire one.

What do you mean you cannot use FireWire with your iPods? I use Firewire for my 4G 20gb iPod that just died on me, and my girlfriends Mini... I personally think Firewire is faster and better than USB. Plus you get higher wattage via Firewire than you would with USB, so charging your iPods/iPhones would be faster.
  • Reply 37 of 119
    Am I the only one who hopes the 1 button will disappear on future models?

Its almost un-apple - I wish the screen was the full surface.

Also, is anyone else a bit sad that there are no more white iPods?

Can they anodize aluminum to be white?
  • Reply 38 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Only way I know to do that is to email it to yourself.

I researched this last week and found a work around someone was using for the iphone. apparently there is a way to save an entire pdf, unlimited size by manipulating the bookmark feature. The file is actually part of the bookmark text and so you can browse off line.
  • Reply 39 of 119
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    That piece of plastic looks like it's there to help bind the USB cable.
  • Reply 40 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

It's like a Porsche with a 1 gallon fuel tank

exactly. much like the iPhone except it has a .5 gal tank and when the battery runs down, you have to mail it in, OR pay for a loaner.

might as well wait for the 16GB iPhone to arrive. The Pogue's comments in the NY Times that there's no external volume buttons or earbud clicker (like the iFone) make one wonder what the designers were thinking.

http://tinyurl.com/2gpg5u