What X11 programs are you using?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
X11 for Mac OS X offers UNIX users the ability to run thousands of X11 applications concurrently with other Mac OS X applications. What applications are you using?

MLdonkey, is one KaZaA freaks will enjoy.

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: zKillah ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    i'll be using pysoulseek as soon as i install the new beta of x11 tomorrow.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

i'll be using pysoulseek as soon as i install the new beta of x11 tomorrow.

Awesome... X11 has a new beta! As soon as I have some free HD space im gonna reinstall it.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zKillah

X11 for Mac OS X offers UNIX users the ability to run thousands of X11 applications concurrently with other Mac OS X applications. What applications are you using?

Here's my list:

Mozilla (I only use this remotely on other machines)

Gtetrinet (a decent online Tetris game)

Gnome (I just wanted to try it, I've never really used it)

Gaim (remotely on other machines)

Dillo (again, remotely)

Denemo (music notation program)

Abiword (natively! I don't need to pay for Monopolysoft Word)

Gimp (Isn't as nice as photoshop, but worth the money difference)

This is one of my main reasons for upgrading to 10.2 from 9. I am now completely legal because I can use software like Abiword and Gimp instead of pirated copies of Word and Photoshop.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I'll tell you one X11 app I'm not using: xterm. If you follow the instructions in the comments left at the end of this oreilly article, you can use Terminal.app instead too.

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...stall_x11.html

Check out SVG drawing program sodipodi (get it from fink) while you're about it.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Midnight Commander is an extremely helpful graphical file browser for the xterm.

I also use filmgimp regularly.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Can we have some links please.

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Mac

Can we have some links please

http://fink.sourceforge.net

or http://fink.sf.net

and http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/

are basically all you need.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Mac

Can we have some links please.

Thanks

http://www.google.com
  • Reply 9 of 38
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

Here's my list:

Mozilla (I only use this remotely on other machines)

Gtetrinet (a decent online Tetris game)

Gnome (I just wanted to try it, I've never really used it)

Gaim (remotely on other machines)

Dillo (again, remotely)

Denemo (music notation program)

Abiword (natively! I don't need to pay for Monopolysoft Word)

Gimp (Isn't as nice as photoshop, but worth the money difference)

Just a question:

How do you accually install Gimp ? I have installed X11, downloaded Gimp from Gimp.org, and GTK from gtk.org. When running ./configure on Gimp, it tells me that i need to install gtk (or something along those lines).

When trying to run ./configure on GTK1.2.10 it tells me that i need to set the host. Trying ./configure --host=powerpc-apple-darwin.6.4 gives e yet another error:

ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'

What gives? How do you install, for instance, Gimp, og Abiword ? Because those are based on GTK right ?

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I must have thoroughly borked something, because I can't get xterm to do anything other than close silently when I try launching an X11 app.

Cleaning out /usr/X11R6/ and reinstalling X11 did nothing, so I suppose it's time to do a more general purge. I will get X11 running on this machine, dammit.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    O.k. So I'm not a UNIX user, never have, but I'm interested in using OpenOffice for X11 and downloaded it the other day and got OpenOffice as well but can't get it to work.

Am I, being inexperienced with Unix shooting myself in the foot with this or is this easy enough to be done by anybody?

I know it says in the Apple website that it should work fine, but I may be missing something. Do I need Darwin?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

MA
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Installing x11 is as easy as double clicking on an installer and accepting a few default answers.

If you then want to experiment with more than one x11 app then you probably want to install fink. There are reasonably idiot-proof instructions on their website. Basically it is a double-clickable installer but I think you may have to edit a couple of text files.The really tricky bit is navigating the horrendous interface to choose which apps you wish to download and install.

If that sounds like too much effort then you can download double clickable installers from the opendarwin project.

Read the instructions at http://packages.opendarwin.org/

Unfortunately, while this system will definately be easier to use for beginners *in the future* it is still at the stage when they assume a bit of unix knowledge. For example you when you call the command open-x11 you need to provide the full path or add /opt to your environment. Example:

Code:

open-x11 /opt/local/bin/gimp

Ath this time I would recommend using fink along with the Cocoa fink commander app to actually select which apps to install.

--------------------

side note:

If you are actually compiling apps from source, which is an option in fink if you need access to the latest and greatest releases, or have downloaded sources then you need to install Apple's X11 SDK (software development kit) which is a separate download. This has some vital header files.

second aside:

quote from OpenOffice.org--my emhasis:

Quote:

In order to use OpenOffice.org with Apple's X11, however, you need first, before downloading OpenOffice.org, to download X11 from Apple. You need also to have already installed the Developer Tools that came with 10.2.

• Reply 13 of 38
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I'm trying to run MacVICE, a Commodore-64 emulator!!!!!

In fact, I started a thread about it in the OS X forum because I couldn't decide whether it should go here or there. Serrano just suggested that I actually include some LINKS so people could help me get it running.

If anybody wants to run old C64 apps (for fun and nostalgia) then bugger off to THIS THREAD and see if you know what's going on.

Anyway, please keep posting info about these other apps that we can run!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

Just a question:

How do you accually install Gimp ? I have installed X11, downloaded Gimp from Gimp.org, and GTK from gtk.org. When running ./configure on Gimp, it tells me that i need to install gtk (or something along those lines).

When trying to run ./configure on GTK1.2.10 it tells me that i need to set the host. Trying ./configure --host=powerpc-apple-darwin.6.4 gives e yet another error:

ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'

What gives? How do you install, for instance, Gimp, og Abiword ? Because those are based on GTK right ?

.:BoeManE:.

you can get a working copy of the gimp from http://www.osxgnu.org

also, get fink and use that
  • Reply 15 of 38
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I just tried Fink yesterday, on OSX 10.2.4, with no luck. the /sw/bin/init.sh script wouldn't run.

As a side note, I am in Gentoo linux with the spiffy new X11 4.3 ati drivers, and my fav. X11 app is a tie between GLTron and Armagetron.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    stupider...likeafox:

Thanks a lot, it was actually easier than I thought. I had everything I needed I just got stuck when X11 opened and OpenOffice didn't. But then I went to Applications menu and customized it to add OO.

Very simple indeed, I'm pretty excited.

Thanks

MA
  • Reply 17 of 38
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Wow.... a lot of confused people.

1st: Darwin is an operating system. If you have Mac OS X, you have Darwin. It's not a separate program, you can't uninstall it, you can't upgrade it. It's part of Mac OS X.

2nd: If you want to use open source programs on Mac OS X, use fink. I repeat: Use fink. Go to the fink website and follow their install instructions for fink. Once you do that, download FinkCommander. It's a graphical interface for fink, so that you don't have to use the terminal.

3rd: Unless you know what you are doing don't try to build the programs yourself. Use fink to install the programs you want. You don't have to separately download the files and try to configure and build them or anything like that. fink supplies you with the option to build the program from source or to install binaries. It also takes care of any dependencies.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Let me see if I have this Fink down. Fink is the project name for porting X11 apps to OS X? For example under Gnome packages, if appls like Evolution gets ported by Fink, than that app will open up like a normal app like it would under Linux in the Gnome evironment? But it would open up in Apple's X11 window?

This opens up a can of whoop ass. What would differentiate OSX with X11 apps and Linux?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    You've nearly got it, but Fink also ports command line applications like the mysql database as well as the graphical X11 apps.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Thats preety dang tight. Why use Linux than? Is there any reason to now that OSX has X11 apps?