spec: new macs sub -1000$ ? what will it be?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
now that the new iMac starts at 1299$ and the older iMacs won't make it ver long in my opinion, there will be space for a new lineup of Macs sub-1000$ ....

i wondered what it could be. would it be an iMac without the 15"-display? that'll come close to the comeback of the cube, right?

time for speculating about this, seems VERY interesting for me, cause the sub-1000$ market is a big one....

krassy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think (hope) apple is going to stick with the old model for a long time. It's become an icon of sorts, and it's image is a strong one for marketing. The new one is even more striking, but with two shapes to choose from the consumer has more options.

That said, I think it would be a great idea to offer multiple screen sizes for the new iMac. Not necessarily right away, but down the line.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    I imagine they will ride out the old models until the new iMac can profitably break the $1000 mark or maybe even lower.

The optimist in we thought that maybe we'll see some sort of pizza box mac. Maybe with a g3 for sub $500. But I highly, highly doubt it.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>I think (hope) apple is going to stick with the old model for a long time. It's become an icon of sorts, and it's image is a strong one for marketing. The new one is even more striking, but with two shapes to choose from the consumer has more options.

That said, I think it would be a great idea to offer multiple screen sizes for the new iMac. Not necessarily right away, but down the line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who knows, maybe they WILL put a 17" tube in the old ones
  • Reply 4 of 26
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The CRT iMac will be around for a while. It fits the only profile for a sub $1000 mac, and it's easy to produce (no redesign or BTO), and already goes with most educational labs. The sub $1000 market is not one Apple is actively going to go after. They obviously want the same type of market they had in 1998- a $1299 iMac that is very competitive with the Power Mac line.

The CRT iMacs are great machines, IMO, and I think that they round out the sub $1000 market quite nicely.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Well Steve WANTS to phase the old iMac out, but I think a better Idea is to bump it up a little bit, and sell maybe 2 models($699&$999) perhaps, then apple will have a competitive entry level super basic computer, SUre its not SUPER competitive, but If apple offered 128 and 256 ram standard with 40 and 60 gig HDs in the two models then it would be, since most sub 1000 Pcs I see are basically boxes with a 2 ghz pentium 4 and an 8x burner, ususally they have like 30 gigs or less Hd and almost always have 128 Or even less! RAM

if you think about it

the P4 probably costs 400 or so 30 gig HD 150 or so then 128 ram for 50 plus a cheap 15 inch monitor for like 150-200 dollars and you have a sub 1000 PC that SOUNDS like its a good computer but in reality is just a piece of shite
  • Reply 6 of 26
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    at mac central

Apple thinks the new iMac will be a huge success, but they also recognize there are some customers that won't be able to afford the price. The company has decided to keep two original CRT iMacs available for the education market and consumers -- both systems are priced under $1,000.

"Starting today we've kept the $799 price point of the existing iMac and we've taken the $1,299 CRT iMac and dropped that down to $999," said Schiller

g
  • Reply 7 of 26

<strong>

That said, I think it would be a great idea to offer multiple screen sizes for the new iMac. Not necessarily right away, but down the line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a brilliant idea, didn't think of that until now, it makes all the sense in the world. Just like the iBook. I believe we'll see this one. And with the new form factor it would be much easier to acomidate a larger screen.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I'd also say that we'll see an increase in screen size for the new iMac, whenever the next biggest screen has dropped in price to the level of the prior used one. I hope that isn't too complicated to understand.

ie 17" LCD in a year latest.

G-News
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I agree, as soon as component prices drop, Apple will realize that consumers like it big, when it comes to monitor sizes at least. The worthless (IMHO, for $500) 2" iBook upgrade is a hint that Apple is open to the idea

The new iMac form factor could also easily integrate a wireless webpad type arrangement.. hmm
  • Reply 10 of 26
    This is very frustrating. Why the hell can we not buy the new imac without the ever so cool LCD and swing arm. This would be trivial to produce. Just stick a cap in the hole and ship in a smaller box. they already come with a VGA output (not dual-head display either #$%#).

If they want to convert PC owners what better bait than letting them keep their old 17" monitor (sell the swing arm and 15" LCD as an add-on for $500).

Before I whine too much, does anyone know for certain that the LCD on the new imac is not detachable/upgradable/reusable?

Without the LCD this gorgeous little dome should cost at least $400 less. Yes this is just the cube again but now it is round and over $1000 less in price. Consumers are of the mindset that monitors are non-disposable and computers are disposable. If you could preserve your LCD some people would be ready to upgrade todays new imac within a year if they could keep the display and save $500.

Headless imacs from $899 - $1399 now that would be great. I guess the answer is that Steve is afraid his vision of all mac users using LCD dispays would be ruined and it would be hard to screw the pro users with the outrageous markups the towers have carried for the last two years compared to the consumer series. Those needing a 19" or larger display will continue to pay the fat markup for a tower, as will the ever dwindling pro music users who have the need of god forbid, PCI slots.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: gafferino ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>I agree, as soon as component prices drop, Apple will realize that consumers like it big, when it comes to monitor sizes at least. The worthless (IMHO, for $500) 2" iBook upgrade is a hint that Apple is open to the idea

The new iMac form factor could also easily integrate a wireless webpad type arrangement.. hmm </strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate it when pro users think they know what consumers want, when all they really want is pro stuff at consumer prices - and pro stuff just doesn't get cheap. It's a vicious cycle and I wish we could all wake up from it.

That said, I don't consider the iBook screen upgrade useless. 12" is smaller than the old iMac screen - tough to stare at all day. 14" becomes useable as an everyday computer - it is LARGER than the old iMac display. I had a Pismo for a year and never had a problem using it as my main display. The only times I'm seeing a huge advantage when working on my TiBook are - guess what - when I am in my PRO photo/audio editing applications. Joe Internet doesn't need it.

I wish I could get a BMW for the price of a Hyundai too, but it just ain't gonna happen. I think the new iBook is just peachy.

Hmmph.

-S

------------

All work and no play is giving Spiff an attitude today.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>

I hate it when pro users think they know what consumers want, when all they really want is pro stuff at consumer prices - and pro stuff just doesn't get cheap. It's a vicious cycle and I wish we could all wake up from it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let's face it, Apple is giving their new Joe internet consumer a chance to do some pretty intense pro tasks, make movies, dvds, edit photos. These new consumers will learn the benifits of larger monitors and faster cpus and a more well thought out integrated product.

I posted this in the general discussion area earlier, but I think it fitting to your comments.

Apple is trying to go after the 95%. That 95% is made up of mostly consumer customer, not pro power hungery users. Apple has everything under control, they're just pacing themselves. Everybody has grown to expect everything can and should be given to them all at once. Once this whole transtion phase for Apple is complete, we'll look at them in a new light. It's pretty aparent to me we are going to get some pretty fast power macs here shortly and I can't wait until the portables make the jump. But we'll be in this same boat 2-3 years down the road, just as always.
  • Reply 13 of 26

[QB]

<hr></blockquote>

The new imac is just as pro and the pro series so your comment does not make sense. The only difference is you have to save $1000 for the inconviniece of having an LCD hang off the top.

Pro users are being held hostage for PCI slots, which I am sorry do come cheap!!! Putting the imac guts in a bigger case with 5 pci slots and dual head display capabilties would probably cost less than the new imac to produce (I think the imac uses expensive funny laptop ram and HD but I may be wrong)
  • Reply 14 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by gafferino:

<strong>

The new imac is just as pro and the pro series so your comment does not make sense. The only difference is you have to save $1000 for the inconviniece of having an LCD hang off the top.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was specifically talking about portables but that IS my point - that the consumer stuff is PLENTY GOOD for consumers and they have nothing to complain about and no reason to ask for more.

It's the pro users that really have something to complain about, Apple is giving you the shaft for the time being, you're right about that.

-S

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: SpiffyGuyC ]

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: SpiffyGuyC ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Until the LCD prices go low enough, the CRT iMac will stay around.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by gafferino:

<strong>

Pro users are being held hostage for PCI slots, which I am sorry do come cheap!!! Putting the imac guts in a bigger case with 5 pci slots and dual head display capabilties would probably cost less than the new imac to produce (I think the imac uses expensive funny laptop ram and HD but I may be wrong)</strong><hr></blockquote>

What you just described is a PowerMac!

Of course it uses laptop components. Have you seen the size of it!

[quote]Until the LCD prices go low enough, the CRT iMac will stay around.<hr></blockquote>

Exactly. Those machines make perfect low-end servers with OS X and are need in the education space. That and Apple's margins on those things have to be through the roof.

The whole point of the iMac is it's "all-in-oneness" Apple won't change that. I do think that adding a 17" inch display next year is a great idea though.
  • Reply 17 of 26

<strong>

I hate it when pro users think they know what consumers want...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it was Steve Jobs who said that Apple has learned that it wasn't the professionals that wanted the Cube, it was the consumers. So, Steve knows that there's a consumer market for a non-iMac machine.

I guess you're right though...he is a pro user that thinks he knows what the consumers want.
  • Reply 18 of 26

<strong>

Actually, it was Steve Jobs who said that Apple has learned that it wasn't the professionals that wanted the Cube, it was the consumers. So, Steve knows that there's a consumer market for a non-iMac machine.

I guess you're right though...he is a pro user that thinks he knows what the consumers want. </strong><hr></blockquote>

No - Steve said that the Cube was *marketed* for professionals and they didn't want it because it wasn't Pro enough. Therefore, I don't see how you classify it as a pro machine. Yes, that's how it was marketed, but that's different from what it was. Consumers wanted it but it was TOO EXPENSIVE. My point, once again, is now that it's a consumer machine at a consumer price (the iMac is the Cube and then some,) you guys are complaining that it's not enough! Thus the cycle I talked about in my original post.

-S
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I never said the Cube was a pro machine. What I think we're (whoever WE are...I've discussed this on WAY too many threads already) asking for is the new iMac without a monitor. That screen costs $500? OK, sell it for $1299-$500. That's $800.

Or, add a drive bay and some PCI slots and tack on another $200.

There's no way anyone could rationally argue that $200 isn't enough to cover the cost and profit margins on this mythical machine. I'm not asking for G5s with hypertransport, gigawire, 12 ram slots, 6 PCI slots, built in SCSI (like the good old days) and whatever else Pros need. Put all of that in the Pro Tower and charge a fortune.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mklmkl Posts: 5member
    I would really love to see a TFT-less iMac (sphere) with an ADC-port so I could connect any of the nice apple displays but I think it will never happen.

Steve Jobs said that the only design for consumers in the "all-in-one" design. And they are proud of it. sad by true.

i definitely understand this for the "real consumer but about the "ambitioned" consumer like me (I own a pismo 500 just for the fun of it) which never really "works" with his mac and besides RAM doesn't upgrade it.

Michael