Intel: Apple tablet comment simply untrue

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp. today is scurrying to clean up a mess made by Germany's ZDNet on Wednesday when it reported that an Intel exec had confirmed the ongoing development of a iPhone-like tablet at Apple, a report which the chipmaker now claims is patently false.

Specifically, ZDNet reported that Intel Germany chief Hannes Schwaderer at a small gathering in Munich "confirmed" the existence of a larger iPhone at Apple that would employ one of Intel's ultra-mobile Atom processors.

The report gained widespread traction given earlier predictions by AppleInsider and other media outlets that such a device does in fact exist, and has long been under development at Apple's Cupertino-based headquarters. The problem, however, was that Schwaderer appears to have never made the comments suggested by the ZDNet report.

"No Intel exec has said anything about any future Apple product, Atom processor or otherwise," an Intel spokesperson told AppleInsider. "I think that?s important to note as everyone speculates on future products from Apple."

Since ZDNet's original report hit the net, a couple of other publications on hand for Schwaderer's presentation have offered their interpretation of the events, which also appear to suggest that ZDNet's report was misleading.

An editor for Golem.de claims that he does not recall any mention of an iPhone tablet during the executives speech, while PCGamesHardware.de attests that a reference to an iPhone device was made, but only as an example of a product that could benefit from Atom.

Unfortunately, only 40 or so reporters were on hand for Schwaderer's presentation, AppleInsider has been told, and thus further first-hand accounts are likely to be limited.

Nevertheless, and regardless of misinterpretations this week, AppleInsider maintains that Apple is working on a iPhone-like mini tablet reminiscent of the Newton MessagePad that should surface in due time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    Quote:

... only 40 or so reporters were on hand for Schwaderer's presentation

Oh, dear God. Only 40 reporters, most of whom were presumably either taking notes or recording the presentation???? How EVER shall we learn what was really said? Clearly, none of the FORTY reporters could have possibly captured whether the comment was made or not.

• Reply 2 of 63
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    [QUOTE=DestructoTex;1252093]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ... only 40 or so reporters were on hand for Schwaderer's presentation/QUOTE

Oh, dear God. Only 40 reporters, most of whom were presumably either taking notes or recording the presentation???? How EVER shall we learn what was really said? Clearly, none of the FORTY reporters could have possibly captured whether the comment was made or not.

I'm working on it. It's a different time zone. A different language...We'll see if anything comes of it. It was my understanding that it was a 'party' too... So... ya know... not everyone may have been spot on...

K
  • Reply 3 of 63
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I believe it was used as an example. ZDNet misconstrued what was said and jumped all over it.

I guess many companies don't take their journalism seriously these days. Every day I come across news articles with mistakes in spelling, grammar and accuracy.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Surely sources could be vetted before reporting them as fact, especially if there is a translation issue.

Sounds like it's the fault of ZDNet in this case, but "rumors" are not facts. Everyone gets a black eye on this one.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I believe it was used as an example. ZDNet misconstrued what was said and jumped all over it.

I guess many companies don't take their journalism seriously these days. Every day I come across news articles with mistakes in spelling, grammar and accuracy.

I agree. There is no such thing as editorial control, nor is there basic 'quality control' in reportage these days. It's a bloody disgrace.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"No Intel exec has said anything about any future Apple product, Atom processor or otherwise,"

Officially.

We know what you mean Intel and thanks for keeping us informed.

If Apple doesn't make a Newton 2.0, it will be disappointing though.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Officially.

I don't seriously anticipate a Newton-ish product from Apple at this point, it would merely dilute iPhone and Touch sales. There will be incremental improvements to iPhone, same kind of improvements that have made iPod a category leader.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    People are under confidentiality agreements, and this makes for these awkward situations. There is no doubt that Apple is working on a tablet whether it comes to fruition is another matter.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    If any such mystery product exists, Steve'll surely kill it now rather than have his thunder stolen by a loose-lipped Intel executive.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't seriously anticipate a Newton-ish product from Apple at this point, it would merely dilute iPhone and Touch sales. There will be incremental improvements to iPhone, same kind of improvements that have made iPod a category leader.

Apple waited to introduce the iPhone until the iPod was firmly entrenched as the standard.

Apple will wait until the iPhone is clearly entrenched as the standard before it introduces any similar product that could fragment the market. However once the iPhone is in a dominant position, it is in Apple's best interest to push the platform in new directions and expand the markets it can address.

I don't expect to see a larger tablet for at least 1-2 years. By then developers will have built a large repository of software and services for the existing iPhone platform.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    "No Intel exec has said anything about any future Apple product, Atom processor or otherwise," an Intel spokesperson told AppleInsider".

Maybe that means the Intel exec is no longer with Intel, LOL.

So are they saying that ZdNet flat out lied?

Maybe the exec is no longer an exec and has to wear a black turtle neck shirt as punishment while he has to write on an iPhone 15,000 times ..... "I will never comment about Apple" (no copy paste).
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple waited to introduce the iPhone until the iPod was firmly entrenched as the standard.

Apple will wait until the iPhone is clearly entrenched as the standard before it introduces any similar product that could fragment the market. However once the iPhone is in a dominant position, it is in Apple's best interest to push the platform in new directions and expand the markets it can address.

I don't expect to see a larger tablet for at least 1-2 years. By then developers will have built a large repository of software and services for the existing iPhone platform.

I think we're saying the same thing, Mr. Mozzarella.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Ye ole head fake in action. Someone let the cat out of the bag a bit too soon or they wanted to gauge the market before final pricing is set.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Officially.

i thought the iPhone WAS the newton 2.0?

Sure its a phone, but it is also the most awesome PDA I ever used...minus the handwriting thing, but who gives a toot about that?
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:

Nevertheless, and regardless of misinterpretations this week, AppleInsider maintains that Apple is working on a iPhone-like mini tablet reminiscent of the Newton MessagePad that should surface in due time.

Yeah, that's spirit! if you keep insisting it exists eventually they will it release it. It worked with the Mac mini, it worked with the iPhone
  • Reply 16 of 63
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    In one of the other threads, a guy proves it was ZDnet's mistranslating what was said.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If it wasn't true they'd have nothing to deny - therefore they just proved it true.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Wow, ya mean reporters would make up something to make themselves look good and sell a story.... What has the world come to...
  • Reply 19 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

I don't know about about a whole 2 years, but I do agree with your thinking. I also think the reason we won't see the tablet until sometime in 2009 is for the simple reason that Apple is too busy to get it finished any time soon.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Officially.

...and of course every time somebody calls a new tablet device by apple a 'Newton', Steve Jobs kills a fairy...