Intel: Apple tablet comment simply untrue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

i thought the iPhone WAS the newton 2.0?

Sure its a phone, but it is also the most awesome PDA I ever used...minus the handwriting thing, but who gives a toot about that?

... not to mention 'copy & paste', a fax (i know i know... so 80s, but still useful), a spreadsheet/work processor/data base, an attachable keyboard (the horror!), and most importantly: the 'find elvis' feature...
  • Reply 22 of 63
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If it wasn't true they'd have nothing to deny - therefore they just proved it true.

I suggest you find Intel friends who know what they have and what they do for Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

...Steve Jobs kills a fairy...

I thought Apple was supposed to be gay-friendly... I kid, I kid.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Why is it so difficult for some to realize that the iPhone is (after 2.0) the anticipated replacement of Newton? It doesn't have to be slightly bigger to qualify. And forget about the idea that the keyboard needs to be bigger etc. Blah.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    And why is it so difficult for people to understand that this software update to the iPhone and Touch are not going to make it do the Word processing and computer functions you expect it to? There will be workarounds but no saving of stuff to outside the device or program is very much more restricted than you would be used to. (the only other exception would be the web- you can save to there)
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Why is it so difficult for some to realize that the iPhone is (after 2.0) the anticipated replacement of Newton? It doesn't have to be slightly bigger to qualify. And forget about the idea that the keyboard needs to be bigger etc. Blah.

Apple will continue to engineer the iPhone to have more control surface, yet it improve it's battery and computing "smarts".
  • Reply 27 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I agree.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Oh but you are so wrong here. IPhone very much needs a larger screen there si no doubt in my mind. Not hugely larger mind you, we still want to pocket the thing. The trick is to keep the device manageable size wise while affording it storage in a suit pocket or a pants pocket.

By the way yes the larger size would immediately help the keyboard, you simply can't deny that. The thing is that is not the important element here, rather ii is the ability to better leverage the web and other apps. Simply put a larger screen is not needed for phone usage, but to fully leverage an iphone 2 a larger screen would help significantly.

Dave
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Oh but you are so wrong here. IPhone very much needs a larger screen there si no doubt in my mind. Not hugely larger mind you, we still want to pocket the thing. The trick is to keep the device manageable size wise while affording it storage in a suit pocket or a pants pocket.

By the way yes the larger size would immediately help the keyboard, you simply can't deny that. The thing is that is not the important element here, rather ii is the ability to better leverage the web and other apps. Simply put a larger screen is not needed for phone usage, but to fully leverage an iphone 2 a larger screen would help significantly.

Dave

Perhaps increasing screen size with a clamshell phone that looks like a thinner version of the MacBook Air with two control surfaces is the next iteration of the iPhone. Keyboards could be split across the face, or if the screen were completely flexible, it could span both 'shells' as a one piece screen.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I know. I think any device between the screen size of the iPhone and say the MacBook screen is pointless. I am 100% sure that Apple is working on a tablet Mac and that the iPhone and the Air are results of that work.

Here is what I think. Apple MBA is somewhat a testing ground for the upcoming tablet in terms of weight, screen size, thickness, no media drive, and processor power. Now that MBA prove to be a success, Apple is closer to releasing the tablet computer. The new tablet will probably be very similar to MBA than the iPhone. Light weight, Aluminum case, very thin, iPod HDD, no DVD/CD drive, and touch screen of course. However, I wonder what Apple will decide for handwriting recognition now that SJ has criticized the stylus for mobile devices.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I know. I think any device between the screen size of the iPhone and say the MacBook screen is pointless. I am 100% sure that Apple is working on a tablet Mac and that the iPhone and the Air are results of that work.

Here is what I think. Apple MBA is somewhat a testing ground for the upcoming tablet in terms of weight, screen size, thickness, no media drive, and processor power. Now that MBA prove to be a success, Apple is closer to releasing the tablet computer. The new tablet will probably be very similar to MBA than the iPhone. Light weight, Aluminum case, very thin, iPod HDD, no DVD/CD drive, and touch screen of course. However, I wonder what Apple will decide for handwriting recognition now that SJ has criticized the stylus for mobile devices.

Like I said above, I think the next fruit of the MBA trial will be an iPhone design revision.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Mac touch will have a SSD, and I suspect the screen size won't be quite 13.3"
  • Reply 33 of 63
    randyrandy Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

i thought the iPhone WAS the newton 2.0?

Sure its a phone, but it is also the most awesome PDA I ever used...minus the handwriting thing, but who gives a toot about that?

Personally, I think handwriting recognition has it's place, especially in handhelds/tablets for taking fast notes, etc.

Not holding my breath, but kinda waiting for the new iPhones to get an iPhone to see if by some miracle it has handwriting recognition, well that and G3, voice dialing....

If Apple released a new iPhone and a tablet, I'd buy 2 of each the same day!!
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Personally, I think handwriting recognition has it's place, especially in handhelds/tablets for taking fast notes, etc.

Not holding my breath, but kinda waiting for the new iPhones to get an iPhone to see if by some miracle it has handwriting recognition, well that and G3, voice dialing....

If Apple released a new iPhone and a tablet, I'd buy 2 of each the same day!!

There have been some reports of handwriting recognition software being developed using the SDK, you have to use your finger to write though. Voice dialing can be developed using the SDK as well not a big deal.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mac touch will have a SSD, and I suspect the screen size won't be quite 13.3"

13.3" is a reasonable size for writing (almost the Letter size). For handwriting recognition to work effectively and efficiently you will need bigger screen. To give you an idea, 5X7 is 8.6" and the 13.3" screen size is a familiar size for Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:

There is still a missing product. The iphone is too small for say doctors who walk around talking to patients and having to carry clipboards and a laptop is too awkward, current tablets are too clumsy and heavy.

Students who take notes in class where a laptop and iphone don't suffice.

Store managers that walk around checking stocks or whatever.

There are so many uses for a lightweight, powerful, stable, wifi, touch slate.

I could see it competing with the Macbook Air though depending on the implementation. I actually think the MBA was the perfect product to make a slate out of. Imagine if they had taken away the keyboard and put the display directly onto the machine. It would be even thinner than it is now and it would have been a really unique ultra-portable.

Perhaps MBA 2.0 will be the Newton once they refine the touch interaction with OS X. Multi-touch trackpads are just the training wheels.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If any such mystery product exists, Steve'll surely kill it now rather than have his thunder stolen by a loose-lipped Intel executive.

I know right?!!! Thanks moronic intel exec with the loose lips!!
  • Reply 38 of 63
    By the way, Apple just posted WWDC schedule. Interesting is how many "Session To Be Announced" are there! is that common in previous WWDCs?
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

By the way, Apple just posted WWDC schedule. Interesting is how many "Session To Be Announced" are there! is that common in previous WWDCs?

Interesting.