New startup sound...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Screw faster PowerMacs, what I really want is a new startup sound across the matrix. I don't understand why Steve hasn't done anything about this yet. I'm not too particular, just something crisp and distinctive, probably strings and/or horns.

What would you like to hear when you turn on your next Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    NO. what we need is stribed apples on every Mac. I don´t care about colours it just need to be stribed. Especially on the Ice and Ti. WE NEED THIS APPLE.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    or even a few to choose from or be able to send your own short sound to the BIOS? yourself.

.... nevermind, it would probably get old to have your iMac fart everytime you turned it on.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Stribed apples?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I believe he was refering to stripes but maybe he meant stripped in which case it wouldn't be very smart
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I would also like to just be able to do my own sound....
  • Reply 6 of 33
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't reall care about the startup sound. I barely ever restart my iBook so who needs a new sound?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    We need Steve's voice saying something like "look at that happy mac icon, isn't it breathtakingly beautiful?" in that RDF voice of him. That way we'll be hypnotized whenever there is a kernel panic and we won't get too upset.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I don't reall care about the startup sound. I barely ever restart my iBook so who needs a new sound?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure, we don't need it, nor do we need the countless other little refinements Apple puts into their products (industrial design). The present sound just doesn't seem to match up with the extreme polish of the newer systems.

Not a big deal, I just think they could put in something really cool sounding, with very little effort relative to the other massive projects Apple has recently undertaken (circular motherboards).
  • Reply 9 of 33
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Apple is about things we don't really need.

In fact, life is about things that don't need, but enjoy anyway. The little things in life are what make it better, what makes being human...a good experience. Do we need a flat panel monitor on the iMac? No, the old one would have worked. Do we need a GUI? No, we could live with a command line. Do we need a written language? No, the human race would survive without it. All we need is enough intelligence to find resources and reproduce.

So that's why I'd like a new startup sound. It's not necessary, but I'd like it.

The idea about a BIOS option for startup sounds sounds good...but do Macs even have a BIOS thats rewritable? It seems that we have a ROM, not any configurable, accessable BIOS software...it's not Jobs-like to access your BIOS.

However, it is Jobs-like to make a beautiful startup sound?the sound of a professional orchestra tuning up would be appropriate.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    For the G5, I think the startup sound should be the sound that a jet engine makes when it winds up from a cold start. Dual G5's should have a dual jet engine startup sound.

- Mark
  • Reply 11 of 33
    I was thinking an engine sound for G5s too, except a motorcycle engine like "vrom vroom!".
  • Reply 12 of 33
    thentrothentro Posts: 231member
    The same chime but with a 80 piece orchestra!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    while we're at it...the little start up happy mac icon s a cute bit of retro holdover...but it's really looking a bit dated. at the risk of offending long-time users, i'd love to see something aqua-ish for OSX...like the water patterns you see during the install process...
  • Reply 14 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Now we could have the new iMac turn it's head/display toward us with a smiley face and a bit of a head bob 'a la Luxo, or whatever the name of the lamp is.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>For the G5, I think the startup sound should be the sound that a jet engine makes when it winds up from a cold start. Dual G5's should have a dual jet engine startup sound.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eah, just get a fast hard drive or two.

And the startup Mac icon has changed (albeit subtly) over the years. First it was just black and white, then it started getting some color around the time of System 8, and it's a little smoother and more refined when you boot under OS X.

Alex
  • Reply 16 of 33
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I think all new Apples should be named "Fred."

I really hope Jobs gets this right on the next revision.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    How about a short version of the Apple "Raindance" song on start-up...

that'd be cool...

Anyone agree...???

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 18 of 33
    I'm sick of that stupid happy mac picasso rip off logo. Apple should ditch it for something cool.

But the startup sound is classic. It would be like changing the US flag, or giving George Dubya a brain transplant. Nobody would recognize the Mac with a new sound.

As for making it customizable, ughh! This would be a disaster. First, there would be the types that make it some awful sound that embarrasses mac users everywhere. Then there would be the full-on nimrods who use some 1 minute MP3 as the startup sound, so booting takes forever.

Fu[k all that, just improve the OS X audio so I can hear that startup sound in surround sound.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    1) The startup sound is in the ROM. It (for all practical purposes) can't be changed.

2) If memory serves me correctly, Apple used to have a different startup sound for each family of Macs...

"Classic" form factor: electronic pulse

Quadra: guitar chord

Original Power Macs: *bong!*

People with a longer memory than the LC can comment with more clarity.

I always liked the original one best. *Bwuum!*
  • Reply 20 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by DCQ:

<strong>I think all new Apples should be named "Fred."

I really hope Jobs gets this right on the next revision.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I love it! Introducing the iFred. The startup sound goes *dork*.