Nokia, Apple iPhone to lock horns at last on Thursday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

This should be something that should be built in like in other phones, what if I take out the card and misplace it ? This is a step back, not a step forward.

The only reason you would take out the card is to give it 32GB or more of music, which you can't do on the iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

This should be something that should be built in like in other phones, what if I take out the card and misplace it ? This is a step back, not a step forward.

Once you put the card in, it has 16GB built in. If i never told you it had removable memory, you would never know.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    MultiTouch?

Didn't think so..
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Removable memory cards is a huge advantage.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The handset at first blush is cosmetically similar to iPhone but, in theory, should outclass the Apple-made communicator in several key respects: a 640x360 screen, a 3.2-megapixel camera and video capture on the 5800 will all outperform its rival while 3G, GPS and Wi-Fi put it on an equal footing in other areas. Apple's device is limited to a 480x320 display and a two-megapixel camera so far capable only of taking still photos.

18 months after Apple's announcement of the iPhone, and Apple's hardware is still looking very competitive. I see Apple merely reacting to new hardware offerings with new system software that must be waiting in the wings. New GPS software, video recording software, enhanced BT stack.

Next year, I expect another incremental HW upgrade - but I don't foresee any major departure from the current model.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    the Nokia phone is likely to do very well in Asia and with the iPhone's current problems, Nokia may do even better.....
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Removable memory cards is a huge advantage.

Question on the SD card-- is the data fully encrypted? Can anyone take the card out and read it, or is it protected from that kind of abuse?
  • Reply 28 of 99
    It's funny the most overlooked part on the iPhone lately is the touch screen itself. I guess because it's not seen as a feature, but just the most basic human interaction with the phone. Having a capacitance multitouch screen crushes all these other recent offerings from competitors with their old school pressure sensitive, non multitouch screens.

For me the touch screen alone makes up for other shortfalls that aren't really that important to me, but would be nice like the better camera, etc.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post

It's funny the most overlooked part on the iPhone lately is the touch screen itself. I guess because it's not seen as a feature, but just the most basic human interaction with the phone. Having a capacitance multitouch screen crushes all these other recent offerings from competitors with their old school pressure sensitive, non multitouch screens.

For me the touch screen alone makes up for other shortfalls that aren't really that important to me, but would be nice like the better camera, etc.

...and the Apple operating system!
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

It also comes with unlimited music for the life of the device, and you can download music over the air. There were rumors of Apple doing this a while ago.

The phone has no built-in memory, but instead has bundled 8 or 16GB cards (depending on carrier).

But what happens when the phone is useless and I want to get a new phone, what happens to all that music ?
  • Reply 31 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayum View Post

the Nokia phone is likely to do very well in Asia and with the iPhone's current problems, Nokia may do even better.....

How well will this phone do in Japan, people tend to overate these Nokia phones, after all the rave the Nokia N95 got, after using on here in Canada on Rogers, I was shocked at how awful it is to use, even though it's loaded with all these features I couldn't even find half of them, and the phone looks like a brick..
  • Reply 32 of 99
    I would like to see e2e (edge to edge) screen design in iPhone 4G. This will increase the current screen size of 3.5" to almost 5". The home button can be put at the right hand side and the earpiece can be put higher on the rim edge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post

18 months after Apple's announcement of the iPhone, and Apple's hardware is still looking very competitive. I see Apple merely reacting to new hardware offerings with new system software that must be waiting in the wings. New GPS software, video recording software, enhanced BT stack.

Next year, I expect another incremental HW upgrade - but I don't foresee any major departure from the current model.

• Reply 33 of 99
    Is it an iPod, NO? End of story!
  • Reply 34 of 99
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple, when will the iPhone and iPod touch allow this?

Project from a Handheld!

http://www.impatica.com/showmate

Even better:

Microvision SHOW Pico Projector

http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj...tandalone.html

And the best:

Embedded Pico Projector

http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj.../embedded.html

http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj...ays/index.html

Or maybe this is the best after all:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games…

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

We need thousands for our University. And we need them now!
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

a 640x360 screen ... [whereas] ... Apple's device is limited to a 480x320 display

Which means the Nokia has a marginally superior screen hardware-wise, but what the article fails to mention is the iPhone has a significantly superior display system because of its software. The simple fact is, most people are not educated enough to understand the sophistication and value built in to OS X. In this case, we're talking about rendering and animation. It will be obvious to consumers that the iPod looks much better, regardless of pixel specs. Nokia remains years behind Apple. The market will figure this out soon enough, but right now the difference is unclear to most people.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    OK, I thought I was an apple taliban, but now I get angry with you guys.

The choice of replacing a 16GB card with a 32, 64, 128 one (as they become available and cheap) is a GOOD thing. Some day the 16gigs of your iPhones might feel too little.

What might NOT be good is the bulkiness of the Symbian 60, maybe the thickness of the phone. Some people think the iPhone is too big, how big will this Nokia be compared to the iPhone?

People like features. If the Nokia states more features on the package, more people might buy it than the iPhone. Not all people know what a great GUI and user experience is (before they try)
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Consumers don't care about the actual screen resolution, as long as it looks good is all that matters (and the iphone looks fine). A higher megapixel camera on the iphone would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

As long as it looks good is all that matters but as screen resolution goes up programs on phones just look better and better. Just look how the resolution on phones has changed over the last 5 years, each time it goes up you think it looks loads better and really good. But then another phone comes out with even higher resolution that looks even better.

I've always thought the screen resolution will be Apples biggest problem with the iPhone, bot because its bad at the moment, just because there are now thousands of web apps and apps on the apple store built to that resolution making it an issue when it needs to be upgraded.

As for the camera, I know a lot of people that used to use their phones as cameras only to get an iPhone and moan that the cameras not good enough. Apple really should upgrade it in the next version. Being able to take photos and upload them to sites is a big thing and right now the iPhones camera just isn't good enough and is years out of date.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    2MP isnt that bad. It isnt great by todays standards but its not that bad. Infact wasnt there a poll taken some time ago from Flick which showed iphone users blogged pics to flickr ahead of other phones?
  • Reply 39 of 99
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

OK, I thought I was an apple taliban, but now I get angry with you guys.

The choice of replacing a 16GB card with a 32, 64, 128 one (as they become available and cheap) is a GOOD thing. Some day the 16gigs of your iPhones might feel too little.

What might NOT be good is the bulkiness of the Symbian 60, maybe the thickness of the phone. Some people think the iPhone is too big, how big will this Nokia be compared to the iPhone?

People like features. If the Nokia states more features on the package, more people might buy it than the iPhone. Not all people know what a great GUI and user experience is (before they try)

Right and I guess the iphone will stay at 16 gigs forever, I mean people are here trying to spin this as a good thing, something which should be included in the beginning, but oh I get to replace the cards, that's actually good.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

2MP isnt that bad. It isnt great by todays standards but its not that bad. Infact wasnt there a poll taken some time ago from Flick which showed iphone users blogged pics to flickr ahead of other phones?

These phones just include a bunch of features don't even use or have a had time figuring how to use them, but I guess to some people that's all that matters, a list of features.