Nokia, Apple iPhone to lock horns at last on Thursday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Where the company's other XpressMusic devices use the feature-limited Symbian Series 40, the new model is said to carry Series 60 and so would support the same class of third-party apps as those for the N95 and other Nokia challengers to iPhone, although many of these programs may need to be modified to support the touchscreen.

Not true, the XpressMusic 5320 also uses S60
  • Reply 42 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

2MP isnt that bad. It isnt great by todays standards but its not that bad. Infact wasnt there a poll taken some time ago from Flick which showed iphone users blogged pics to flickr ahead of other phones?

Yeah it is. I have a 3MP camera that I no longer use as I think the quality is just on the edge of not being good. Sony released the K810i in the first half of 2007 with a 3.2MP camera and their C902 out now has a 5MP camera. Their models page also lists a future one with an 8.1MP camera. 2MP is just old and I cant see why Apple included it except to save money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Right and I guess the iphone will stay at 16 gigs forever, I mean people are here trying to spin this as a good thing, something which should be included in the beginning, but oh I get to replace the cards, that's actually good.

No it won't but the iPhone you buy will do becuase you CANT swap the memory out! Hence why people are saying this is a good thing.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

The choice of replacing a 16GB card with a 32, 64, 128 one (as they become available and cheap) is a GOOD thing. Some day the 16gigs of your iPhones might feel too little.

And you already know that it will support a card any larger than 16 GB? Where are the specs on that?

If 16 GB is max, then you'll have to carry 8 SD cards in order to have the 128 that you are talking about.

It's not just a matter of when and at what cost the higher capacity cards come out, the hardware has to support it.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Yeah it is. I have a 3MP camera that I no longer use as I think the quality is just on the edge of not being good. Sony released the K810i in the first half of 2007 with a 3.2MP camera and their C902 out now has a 5MP camera. Their models page also lists a future one with an 8.1MP camera. 2MP is just old and I cant see why Apple included it except to save money.

My 5 year old 2 MP Canon P&S still has much better picture quality than my 6 month old 8 MP Kodak. If you aren't going to print out 8 x 10 or larger pictures, than the MP number is irrelevant.

Comparing picture QUALITY is where it's at. I don't have any comparisons, but just because the Nokia has more MP doesn't mean the quality is going to be any better.

As far as I know, though, the Sony's have better quality not because of the MP, but because of the image capture hardware and the lens.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok folks.

Apple will up-date the iPhone (they already have 2 up-dates in the wings). These up-dates WILL deal with issues they see as important to US!

- If a bigger better camera is important, and we as users, are ok with the fact, the camera will need more memory to hold these pictures / videos, AND we are willing to pay more for this memory - then Apple WILL up-date the camera.

- If more memory is needed, so we can download and store more music, then Apple will increase the amount of memory available for the iPhone. Hell they may even offer a unit, that has memory cards? but we'll have to be ok with the fact it cost MORE, and may not last as long on a battery charge.

Apple WILL NOT take a back sit to any other phone company in the area of design and feature - it just won't happen. Will some of these companies be first out with some of these features - hell yes, after all, they are ALL currently trying to catch and pass Apple, so they NEED to offer more, which just fules Apples need to come up with something better, bigger, faster and if we are lucky ? less money.

I believe within the next few re-visions, we'll see the iPhone take a price jump, BUT only because Apple will announce a Very Basic model at under $100.00.

This will allow every kid on the block to own a iPhone. This model will be a PHONE - No more, no less, but a cool Phone it will be. And they WILL do this, because it will make it easier to up-sell to the next model up, which will be bigger, better and faster.

So Apple currently has what 4 or 5 iPod models - BECAUSE there is a market place for each of these models. Apple WILL do the same with the iPhone ? it really is that simple.

And most of the other phone manufactures, will not try to match Apple one for one, as they will not see it as smart, but boy they will piss and moan because they are loosing market share to Apple.

As consumers, all of this is good for us. We get all kinds of great new toys to choose from, and many different models. The down side is, how fast will they come out, and how long will folks wait in-between new models before needing to, wanting to, choosing to purchase that new toy.

Skip
  • Reply 46 of 99
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I believe within the next few re-visions, we'll see the iPhone take a price jump, BUT only because Apple will announce a Very Basic model at under $100.00.

This will allow every kid on the block to own a iPhone. This model will be a PHONE - No more, no less, but a cool Phone it will be. And they WILL do this, because it will make it easier to up-sell to the next model up, which will be bigger, better and faster.

No they won't, as they can't make a large enough profit on a device like this, so they won't do it. Plus they will not be able to compete with Nokia in that market.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    I have to wonder about the time of introduction. The market is going crazy and to introduce a new phone in the middle of this noise,,,,,,,, will anyone even know its being introduced.????

PS. the issue of enough memory...... well considering that the phone will last 2-3 years and then need to be replaced due to wear and tear...... so this is not really an issue as long as you are in the ballpark as far as current memory needs goes.

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 48 of 99
    Quote:

No it won't but the iPhone you buy will do becuase you CANT swap the memory out! Hence why people are saying this is a good thing.

Quality has absolutely nothing to do with megapixel size. You can have a 2MP camera that has much better quality than a 10MP camera.

Saying that you will get a better quality picture taken with a 6 megapixel camera vs. a 2 megapixel camera is like saying you will get a better quality file stored on a 100GB hard drive vs. a 200GB hard drive. It's simply not true.

The optics/lens determine the quality, not megapixel size.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

Is it an iPod, NO? End of story!

It plays all of the same file formats as an iPod (sans DRM) and syncs with iTunes. It's as close as you get can without an Apple logo.

The problem for Nokia is that this phone isn't their flagship multimedia smartphone and yet it will be compared against Apple's. Because it's at the low-end of Nokia's smartphone portfolio, it won't have the kind of build quality, aesthetics or even features to survive such a comparison. It's going to get mauled by the press.

I think it's going to be a lot more interesting when Nokia brings out a high-end N-series touchscreen phone.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It plays all of the same file formats as an iPod (sans DRM) and syncs with iTunes. It's as close as you get can without an Apple logo.

The problem for Nokia is that this phone isn't their flagship multimedia smartphone and yet it will be compared against Apple's. Because it's at the low-end of Nokia's smartphone portfolio, it won't have the kind of build quality, aesthetics or even features to survive such a comparison. It's going to get mauled by the press.

I think it's going to be a lot more interesting when Nokia brings out a high-end N-series touchscreen phone.

A high-end touchscreen N-series phone may be able to have every single feature known to man packed into it, but I look at the current price of the N96 ($950 last I checked) and can't even imagine what a touchscreen version of that would cost. The highest-end N-series phones are way too expensive, and as such, Apple doesn't even worry about those, because that is not the market they are trying to reach. The average middle-class person cannot and will not spend almost $1,000 on a phone, but they can and will spend $200 on a phone that has a better interface, better music player, better web experience, better e-mail experience, and the availability of a full QWERTY keyboard instead of basic T9.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

A high-end touchscreen N-series phone may be able to have every single feature known to man packed into it, but I look at the current price of the N96 ($950 last I checked) and can't even imagine what a touchscreen version of that would cost. The highest-end N-series phones are way too expensive, and as such, Apple doesn't even worry about those, because that is not the market they are trying to reach. The average middle-class person cannot and will not spend almost $1,000 on a phone, but they can and will spend $200 on a phone that has a better interface, better music player, better web experience, better e-mail experience, and the availability of a full QWERTY keyboard instead of basic T9.

How many of the 8 million N95 users do you think paid $1000 for the phone?

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The $950 you quote is the unlocked, SIM free price. AT&T subsidize the price of the iPhone and hence why it only costs $200. You can't compare unsubsidized and subsidized prices.

The N95 8GB cost a similar amount SIM free and yet was available for free on a $60pm/18 month contract in large parts of Europe.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So? Thin does not always mean better-

It has a 3.2 megapixel camera!

It can capture video!

Also how long will the battery last? Is it replaceable? Thinness is not always the thing.

Hi Teckstud,

A couple of questions if i may.

1, Do you own an iPhone

2, If you don't, what would be your dream smart phone

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

?? The same reason why you have to spend $80 if your battery dies and you can only get your manufacturer to fix it- what other phone has that pitfall? Replaceable cards are a plus- sure it would be great it it had large memory built it but it's not something to whine about because it doesn't.

techstud, I would rephrase it that it is a plus for you. This is certainly not a plus for me or many other consumers.

I would argue that most digital camera owners never change their cards either.

I would like improved camera capabilities as well, but on my personal scale from 1-10 it ranks as maybe a 1. Thickness and the ability to carry the phone on my pocket however ranks very high my me, like an 8.

Again, my personal scale.

The marketplace ultimately decides the relevance of specs versus overall usability and it seems to go in favor of the iPhone. At least for right now.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

techstud, I would rephrase it that it is a plus for you. This is certainly not a plus for me or many other consumers.

I would argue that most digital camera owners never change their cards either.

I would like improved camera capabilities as well, but on my personal scale from 1-10 it ranks as maybe a 1. Thickness and the ability to carry the phone on my pocket however ranks very high my me, like an 8.

Again, my personal scale.

The marketplace ultimately decides the relevance of specs versus overall usability and it seems to go in favor of the iPhone. At least for right now.

And I would argue the opposite- why do you suppose most cameras not include built in storage? Why are there so many readers. printers, etc that accept cards? It is due to their portability/interchangeability which is a plus. Just because you've never used them does not mean they are not desired by others.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Be happy that Apple is getting more and more competition in the touchscreen/smartphone market!

The more pressure Apple feels, the faster they'll try to move, and with phones like the Tube, the Touch HD, Blackberry Storm, Samsung/LG dujour, I think they are going to feel it. Apple needs to evolve the iPhone and iPhone ecosystem at a faster than breakneck speed.

They need:

1. Multiple models (nano with 3" screen, mid with 3.7" screen, pro with 4" screen),

2. Larger screens (3.7 to 4 inch screens) on the "normal" mid-range

3. More touchscreen surface (expand it to the entire screen surface),

4. Higher resolutions for mid/pro version (720x480 for 3.5+ inch, 480x320 for 3" version)

5. More storage (32 GB Flash, 120 to 240 GB hard disk version),

6. Faster CPU/GPU

7. More memory (256/512 MB)

8. Longer battery life

9. More sensors

10. Better audio (speaker volume, microphone)

11. Better browsing/email/texting features

12. More video (get Hulu, Veoh, Vimeo to deliver H.264 M4V videos or support Flash video)

13. Continue music dominance

14. Allow access to iPod/iPhone port with a port API

15. Create an Input Device API

16. Make a deal for legal DVD ripping/transcoding to the iPhone/iPod

Ack, that's a lot of stuff.

As for the Tube. Will it do anything to iPhone sales? Yes, of course it will. It won't kill the iPhone because of its huge software advantage, but the market is varied, and the are plenty of people who would be a Nokia (even if it is so-so) over gritting their teeth and buying from Apple. Apple's bread and butter is still the non-nerd, non-mobile geek crowd or those who appreciate good UI design, and that huge software lead won't be eaten into for awhile.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Quote:

It's a good thing because...You can't exceed the memory limit in the iphone and you might need to carry up to 2 cards in order to match what the iphone has to offer.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

And you already know that it will support a card any larger than 16 GB? Where are the specs on that?

If 16 GB is max, then you'll have to carry 8 SD cards in order to have the 128 that you are talking about.

It's not just a matter of when and at what cost the higher capacity cards come out, the hardware has to support it.

Well said.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Hi Teckstud,

A couple of questions if i may.

1, Do you own an iPhone

2, If you don't, what would be your dream smart phone

Thanks in advance

1.) No- really have no need for a data plan nor AT&T.

2.) As they exist now- an iPhone with a Verizon contract. (without data plan preferred)

• Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Quality has absolutely nothing to do with megapixel size. You can have a 2MP camera that has much better quality than a 10MP camera.

Saying that you will get a better quality picture taken with a 6 megapixel camera vs. a 2 megapixel camera is like saying you will get a better quality file stored on a 100GB hard drive vs. a 200GB hard drive. It's simply not true.

The optics/lens determine the quality, not megapixel size.

That's the problem, people are obsessed with all these numbers, they believe whatever number is higher means that the quality is higher. I mean can you believe that an old 3 mp camera that I had before takes better pictures than my current 8 mp camera, going by what's said on this site you wouldn't believe so.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

How many of the 8 million N95 users do you think paid $1000 for the phone?

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The $950 you quote is the unlocked, SIM free price. AT&T subsidize the price of the iPhone and hence why it only costs $200. You can't compare unsubsidized and subsidized prices.

The N95 8GB cost a similar amount SIM free and yet was available for free on a $60pm/18 month contract in large parts of Europe.

Dude we are in North America, the phone won't be free here, I mean it's already out here in Canada on Rogers, it used to be 399 on a 3 year contract but they dropped the price to 99 after just a few months because it wasn't selling, I mean I've never even seen one in public before, just in the stores.