NPD: Apple's US Mac sales flat in Nov., iMac needs refresh

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Sales of Windows PCs grew faster in the United States during the month of November than Macs, which were weighed down by sluggish demand for aging iMac models, according to NPD.

The market research firm, which tracks retail sales, released preliminary data for the second month of the December quarter on Monday, showing Apple's sales were relatively flat year-over-year while sales of systems running the Windows operating system from rival Microsoft corp rose 7 percent.

Overall, sales of desktop systems fell 20 percent; Windows desktops were down 15 percent while sales of Mac desktops slipped an eye-popping 38 percent.

Apple faired better in the notebook department, where a refreshed line of portables helped boost sales 22 percent year-over year during the month of November. Windows notebook sales rose 15 percent.

"For notebooks, there is a little extra value to consumers (to buy Apple)," NPD analyst Stephen Barker told Reuters. "For desktops I'm not so sure. To me the real story is the iMacs need a refresh."

Indeed, AppleInsider this summer cited reliable sources as saying Apple's goal was to round out the 2008 calendar year with slight revisions to the iMac line. The new models were expected to appear around November in an effort to boost sales ahead of the holiday shopping season.

For reasons still unclear, the Mac maker pulled back on the release in early November, issuing a statement to the press saying that its holiday product line was set and no new Mac models would be introduced until the following year.

It's believed that the iMac refresh is now likely to appear at Macworld alongside the first major overhaul to the company's Mac mini line of tiny desktops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    This sucks. Now we have to sit around and watch the stock tumble today, on this report

This, and follow up articles by others, will force Apple to make some announcements real soon. Maybe sneak something out before MacWorld.

Lets all get ready for an interesting next 3 weeks.

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    The racoon iMac needs a makeover not a refresh. It looks too Dell-like - not Apple-worthy compared to previous models- IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 97
    Sorry but shouldn't these numbers be taken with a grain of salt considering this November only included two days of post-holiday sales (11/28 - 11/29) compared to last year's eight total (11/23 - 11/30)?

This seemingly bad news is remarkably similar to that in the game console market, where Sony's PS3, which has grown 60% year-over-year (that number sounds a bit better than it is because the PS3 didn't sell all that well in 2007, but growth is growth) saw a 19% plunge year-over-year likely due to the fewer shopping days. Meanwhile Microsoft's Xbox 360, which has been flat lining for a year now, saw 7.6% growth (nearly identical to the flat lining Windows PC market that jumped 7% year-over-year, as noted in the article). Nintendo's Wii saw 108% growth year-over-year, but while these are all consoles, that's sort of like comparing iPhone and iPod year-over-year growth - the Wii is a phenomenon.

Perhaps Mac desktop sales were also down 38% due to increased interest in laptops overall, which isn't really a negative when Mac laptop sales jumped 22%. Subtracting the former from the latter, that's a 16% decline in Mac desktop sales, which is again, nearly identical to what the PS3 saw (19% decline).
  • Reply 4 of 97
    I know there's allot of people who like the glass displays but I'm sure Apple excluded plenty of people by not offering an option for those of us who can't use the reflective glass.

I'm holding out buying a new mac until I have an option.

• Reply 5 of 97
    So I'm a mini fan also, but I think people like towers. Also, a lot of retail chains in the US (BB) that carry Apple do not have any minis on display ever. When people see cheap PCs and don't care as much about PC v. Mac, they don't seem likely to pay the iMac premium. Don't get me wrong; it's not about the value of the iMac; it's about the absolute price. Additionally, the entire lineup in my opinion needs to be more aggressively refreshed. It's a rapidly changing industry, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 97
    Well I am one of the ones who has been waiting since early November for the refresh before I plunk down my cold hard cash. No new iMac for me till Apple updates them.
  • Reply 7 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

On the other hand, perhaps Mac desktops were down due to increased interest in laptops overall, which isn't really a negative.

Absolutely, it's no surprise that desktop sales are down. The era of the desktop is drawing to a close.
  • Reply 8 of 97
    Or it could just be the economy; most people don't know a computer hasn't been refreshed.

With the economy slowing down, people who need to watch what they spend will be going for low quality throw away machines more than they will a product like a mac.
  • Reply 9 of 97
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    From the earlier article, "People familiar with these plans have described the [iMac] refresh to consist of 'speed bumps' rather than major internal or external changes."

So no one is buying iMacs because of a few "speed bumps"?
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I know there's allot of people who like the glass displays but I'm sure Apple excluded plenty of people by not offering an option for those of us who can't use the reflective glass.

I'm holding out buying a new mac until I have an option.

It's not only the glossy display. The thing is downright f'ugly- from its racoon face to its missmatched mouse and it's cheap plasticy back.
  • Reply 11 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Absolutely, it's no surprise that desktop sales are down. The era of the desktop is drawing to a close.

Why- 'cause nobody will have a job?
  • Reply 12 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's not only the glossy display. The thing is downright f'ugly- from its racoon face to its missmatched mouse and it's cheap plasticy back.

Four words: Get. A. Life. Troll.
  • Reply 13 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baseveer View Post

Well I am one of the ones who has been waiting since early November for the refresh before I plunk down my cold hard cash. No new iMac for me till Apple updates them.

Ive been waiting 2 years for them to get rid of that thing. Then I'll buy.
  • Reply 14 of 97
    Quote:

Now that's intelligent.

Having a bad day?

You ever hear the expression "You spot it- you got it"?
  • Reply 15 of 97
    Quote:

Now that's intelligent.

YOu spot it - you got it.

I don't want to derail this thread but all you seem to do is complain, rarely ever (if ever) offering up solutions. Then you take any negative comments from others and expand upon them, trying to stir up anger (again, with no suggestions on how to solve the problems, real or imagined, expressed). That constitutes as trolling as far as I understand it.

Trying to get back on topic...so you don't like the aluminum iMac's black accents. So what? What should Apple do instead?
  • Reply 16 of 97
    I am ready to buy a new iMac to replace my "old" 2.8 GHz machine.

I want:

27-inch high resolution

quad processors

support for 8GB of RAM
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Quote:

I don't want to derail this thread but all you seem to do is complain, rarely ever (if ever) offering up solutions. Then you take any negative comments from others and expand upon them, trying to stir up anger (again, with no suggestions on how to solve the problems, real or imagined, expressed). That constitutes as trolling as far as I understand it.

Let me get this right: You just made 2 posts - none which adressed the thread and you complain about me?

1.) I did not complain but posted a comment of the need for an upgrade not a refresh.

2.) And then I agreed with someone who is also waiting to buy an iMac.

What have you brought to the table?

You have problems man.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    Quote:

Quote:

Hold the fire cowboy(!) As a designer and a Mac user since '84... I agree with Techstud and the other guy. There was no reason whatsoever to change the "face" of the iMac... and especially not a dual-colored PC-esque f'ugly! That goes for the MacBooks und MBPs as well. All recyclable alu... maybe in shades of brushed gray or black... or even tinted alu colors..... but NOT this!

Like the guy said, "Just not Mac-like" at the moment.
  • Reply 19 of 97
    Quote:

Let me get this right: You just made 2 posts - none which adressed the thread and you complain about me?

1.) I did not complain but posted a comment of the need for an upgrade not a refresh.

2.) aAnd then I agreed with someone who is also waiting to buy an iMac.

What have you brought to the table?

You have problems man.

I suggest you read my updated response (which you partially quoted) and then scroll up a bit further to oh, I don't know, the third comment in this thread.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    Quote:

I suggest you read my updated response (which you partially quoted) and then scroll up a bit further to oh, I don't know, the third comment in this thread.

OK- So you adressed the first part of the thread title ; I adressed the 2nd.

Move on. You're just can't seem to comprehend that some of us are holding back of something different than what's currently being offered. You should have factored that into your statistics. But you didn't. Too bad.