NPD: Apple's US Mac sales flat in Nov., iMac needs refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Trying to get back on topic...so you don't like the aluminum iMac's black accents. So what? What should Apple do instead?

Like match the colors- hello?

Remove the border (eyeliner)??

Black back =/= white mouse nor = white keyed keyboard.

This has been discussed over and over already.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    I can see where it needs an update. It'd be great if it included i7 processors in the new iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thank you.

While I prefer the black-rimmed display (less noticeable than a silver or white border when watching videos), might be nice if it weren't so reflective. I could see them ditching the black back considering the new 24" LED Cinema Displays use aluminum rather than black polycarbonate. A black-keyed aluminum keyboard would better match as well.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Quote:

It'd be great if they did that

• Reply 25 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Thank you.

While I prefer the black-rimmed display (less noticeable than a silver border when watching videos), might be nice if it weren't so reflective. I could see them ditching the black back considering the new 24" LED Cinema Displays use aluminum rather than black polycarbonate.

Welcome.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I know there's allot of people who like the glass displays but I'm sure Apple excluded plenty of people by not offering an option for those of us who can't use the reflective glass.

I'm holding out buying a new mac until I have an option.

So I guess you never used a computer before LCD's? How did you survive with those reflective glass CRT monitors? Or did you boycott those and stick with the reliable typewriter? I guess you avoided all televisions too since they all had reflective glass CRT tubes.

Considering Apple has sold more Macs than ever before, I don't think they have excluded that many people.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    Yeah, okay, sales of Windows PCs rose 7%. Here's the bigger question: how many of those PCs had Vista installed and how many were XP? If a lot had XP, then all it means is that Acer and Asus sold a lot of netbooks. Which is to say that netbook sales are rising, which we already know.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    I am still slaving away on an imac G4 700 mhz. I am updating my ipod over a usb 1.1 connection. I have the money saved and the wife convinced we need a new one. Now it is worth waiting for a couple weeks just to get a little extra speed. And I am going for the top of the line imac this time. Since I will be using it for six years, every little bit will help. God, I can't wait to sync my ipod over usb 2.0!
  • Reply 29 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I am ready to buy a new iMac to replace my "old" 2.8 GHz machine.

I want:

27-inch high resolution

quad processors

support for 8GB of RAM

What are you waiting for? Buy a Mac Pro with 30" display and you have what you are looking for.
  • Reply 30 of 97
    Millions of men headed out the door in November with their wives yelling after them "Don't forget to get a turkey!"

And lo and behold they came home with 8 to 20 lb Vista machines.

Mystery solved.
  • Reply 31 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yeah I hate the Apple keyboards and mice. Not a big fan of the black border or the gloss either, but I would like to update my iMac Core solo when the new models come out. I don't use it for anything more than reading the mail/news at my kitchen counter so it is not a big deal.

I'm thinking that the glass and the black border are going to be with us for awhile just because Steve likes it. They will likely introduce some space age non-reflective surface for the display at some point which delivers the rich colors yet no glare. But the third party keyboard and mouse business should still be solid going forward.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

The racoon iMac needs a makeover not a refresh. It looks too Dell-like - not Apple-worthy compared to previous models- IMHO.

Totally disagree. I love the look of the iMac. I never really liked the glossy white plastic look. Just a tad too dainty for me. Very lovely and all that, but just a bit too hairdresser, if you know what I mean. Not that I didn't love my white iMac - but I prefer this iteration. And I'm not sure it looks too Dell like. I think it may be the other way around.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So I guess you never used a computer before LCD's? How did you survive with those reflective glass CRT monitors? Or did you boycott those and stick with the reliable typewriter? I guess you avoided all televisions too since they all had reflective glass CRT tubes.

Considering Apple has sold more Macs than ever before, I don't think they have excluded that many people.

Many CRTs have had glare reduction coatings, long before LCDs became prevalent. I have seen several Apple Studio Displays and some of the Sonys and others - you can see an effect when they get a bit of water on the screen, and coatings eventually can get worn off from people who need to touch the screen as they work for reasons I will never quite understand. Laptop screens were historically dimmer than CRTs and spent more time facing windows, lights and sky than a static CRT and benefitted more.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    I think other factors are affecting Apple...

There quality control has gone down for one... Too many problems nowadays.

Just like the PCs, Macs are no better! And you pay a premium for Apple products too.

I have had my fair share of problems with my iMacs/iPhones.

Hopefully 2009 will be a better year for the Apple maker
  • Reply 35 of 97
    I have friends that really want a Mac for Xmas, but will end up with a PC. It's all about price theese days, can't afford a Mac that cost three times a PC... Sorry Jobs, that's how it is.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    The problem Apple is facing is that even though they are producing superior products, with a slowing economy and race towards the bottom by PC manufacturers, their premium pricing scheme is not going to hold up. The iMacs start at $1200; a low end Dell or HP with monitor starts at $400 to $500. Even the Mac mini isn't that cheap, and the consumer still needs to get a monitor. Premium pricing is fine when the dow is reaching new highs and people are using their home equity as a credit card. But the only thing the average consumer is looking at now is price, and if Apple refuses to budge on that sales will slide.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Also, I think Apple needs to come out with a mid size Mac.

They got the Mac mini, iMac and then Mac Pro. They need to come out with a Mac that fits between the all-in-one design and the Mac Pro.

For example.. The top line iMac in USA cost 2199$ and the Mac Pro cost 2799 without LCD.

If Apple came out with a machine at 1999$ without LCD, they could sell more Mac's and more LCDs...

People who don't want all-in-ones have to start at 2799$ and that is a basic machine.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    Quote:

Overall, sales of desktop systems fell 20 percent; Windows desktops were down 15 percent while sales of Mac desktops slipped an eye-popping 38 percent.

Apple faired better in the notebook department, where a refreshed line of portables helped boost sales 22 percent year-over year during the month of November. Windows notebook sales rose 15 percent.

"For notebooks, there is a little extra value to consumers (to buy Apple)," NPD analyst Stephen Barker told Reuters. "For desktops I'm not so sure. To me the real story is the iMacs need a refresh."

Apple cannot market outdated and overpriced consumer computers to knowledgeable buyers in a recession market. Quad-core Windows desktops have been available for the last 2 years and selling $300 cheaper than dual-core iMacs. And the next wave has arrived with brand new Core i7 quad-core desktop computers, 20% to 30% more powerful than quad-core Penryns.

iMacs have neither quad-core Penryns or quad-core Core i7 desktop processors because Apple doesn't want to use desktop processors in its consumer desktop computers. And Apple doesn't want to build business desktop computers because it wouldn't be able to overcharge businesses by $300 to $500 for every office computer.

Did you ever wonder why Apple is still in business? It is becoming increasingly difficult to recommend Apple computers to knowledgeable buyers because there are no business desktop computers and consumer desktop iMacs are outdated and overpriced by at least $300.

• Reply 39 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple's quality control is no worse now than its ever been. Their have always been some degree of problems with some model of Apple computer. That is nothing recent or new. Problems are apart of designing electronic devices.

From a sales and profit perspective, 2008 was Apple's best year ever. 2009 is expected to be worse as we will be deep into a recession.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I think other factors are affecting Apple...

There quality control has gone down for one... Too many problems nowadays.

Just like the PCs, Macs are no better! And you pay a premium for Apple products too.

I have had my fair share of problems with my iMacs/iPhones.

Hopefully 2009 will be a better year for the Apple maker

• Reply 40 of 97
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Personally, I'm fine with the current design, I have one at work and I dig it. That being said, I don't like having a mismatched dual monitor - right now, nothing looks good next to it, including an Apple cinema display. If they want a redesign, make it look like the new 24" display from the front, that way you can have two side-by-side and have a continuos workspace (instead of what I have now - an iMac and a random Samsung display).

As for buying one, I'm waiting too, but its not just for a refresh, but because I don't want to pony up for a new iMac and find out the computer I really want, a a mini-tower, shows up.