Apple details compatibility issues between iWork '08 and '09

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has acknowledged a problem with its productivity suite, iWork, in which the previous version known as iWork '08 cannot open files created by iWork '09.

Posted earlier this week, the support article advises users of a workaround but makes no mention of any forthcoming corrective updates to iWork '08. The latest version, iWork '09, was unveiled at Macworld last month with updates to Keynote, Pages, and Numbers along with a new online service called iWork.com.

Apple instructs users to save their documents as iWork '08 files if they need compatibility with the older version. While Apple used Keynote '09 as an example in the screenshots, the same issue affects the entire suite.

"If you save your slideshow as an iWork '09 document, you will not be able to open it with iWork '08," according to Apple. "This applies to Numbers '08, Keynote '08, and Pages '08 documents you open and save using iWork '09."

The Cupertino-based Mac maker warns users that any attempts to open iWork '09 documents with iWork '08 will result in the following message:

Anyone who is merely upgrading to the next version can take consolation in iWork '09's backward compatibility, meaning the new version can still open their existing iWork '08 files.

Ironically, Apple released an update to iWork '08 earlier this month that promised to address "general compatibility issues" without specifying what issues were being corrected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    I know bugs are to be expected with software updates, but one would think that compatibility is one of the major things they check for.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

I know bugs are to be expected with software updates, but one would think that compatibility is one of the major things they check for.

But this isn't a "bug" per se.

I take issue with this article in that it implies that there is some kind of "new issue" with compatibility and that Apple has just issued a "warning" about it or something, when in fact this is the expected (and already known) behaviour and functionality of the product isn't it?

Why is this being framed as some kind of scary problem, when this is almost standard procedure in the software world for years and years???

• Reply 3 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

It does seem quite daft on Apple's part.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    What's the problem? I see this as a non-issue. Why is it news worthy that a previous version of some software can't open files from the new version? Now, if you saved in `08 format from within `09 and `08 couldn't open the files, that'd be interesting. But this is a complete non-story.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    bjkbjk Posts: 34member
    Could iWork '06 open files saved in an iWork '08 format?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    I think Apple really should try to figure out a standardized file format and not have new formats for every version of iWork. People may have many different opinions on Office, but at least a .doc created in Word 2007 can be opened in Word 97. Yes .docx changes things, but realistically .doc is still the most popular format, principally because of the compatibility issue, and it's possible to update older versions as far back as Word 2000 to open, save, and edit .docx files natively.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    This is stunningly stupid on Apple's part. And further fragments an already-small market segment.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I bet they forgot to test their OWN software. SAD SAD SAD APPLE.

I expect bugs between Apple and MS. NOT Apple and Apple...

What happened to the beta testers? Oh wait, we found the problems because we are the testers. Apple needs to spend a bit more in R&D and a little less on Ads. Its making them look bad...

This isnt the first software glitch. Its many of many for 2008/2009

They are getting just as bad as Microsoft...
  • Reply 9 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Seriously, who uses Numbers'09 anyway beside Mom and Pop's?
  • Reply 10 of 46
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Seriously, who uses iWork anyway beside Mom and Pop's?

Me.

My guess is that this is not a bug, but rather, a change in the XML format that they use for iWork documents.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

What's the problem? I see this as a non-issue. Why is it news worthy that a previous version of some software can't open files from the new version? Now, if you saved in `08 format from within `09 and `08 couldn't open the files, that'd be interesting. But this is a complete non-story.

- Jasen.

I fully agree...

why release a new version if you are not allowed to break compatibility with an old version.

as if they can anticipate every possible function they MIGHT be implementing in the future.

As jasen said, if they didnt include an option to save in 08 format or if 08 can't open an 08 saved file, then there's an issue.

btw, you can't open any file created with office 2007 in office 97 unless you've saved it for that version or earlier (which most people do by default because otherwise nobody can open their files...)
  • Reply 12 of 46
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    hmmm this is very Micro$ofty feature to have. I hope Apple can do better than that. And by that I mean Micro$oft....that.

=)
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Seriously, who uses iWork anyway beside Mom and Pop's?

But in a way, I guess I am a "Mom and Pop." I work as a freelance copywriter. I write most of my copy in Pages, but import and export client material in MS Office. Pages is cleaner and far more stable than Word, even if it lacks Word's features.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

But in a way, I guess I am a "Mom and Pop." I work as a freelance copywriter. I write most of my copy in Pages, but import and export client material in MS Office. Pages is cleaner and far more stable than Word, even if it lacks Word's features.

Actually I meant Numbers '09. I've changed my post.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

hmmm this is very Micro$ofty feature to have. I hope Apple can do better than that. And by that I mean Micro$oft....that.

=)

At least Microsoft ensure that it works within all their updates LOL

Apple doesn't even test it to see if it works within their own Apps... SAD!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has acknowledged a problem with its productivity suite, iWork, in which the previous version known as iWork '08 cannot open files created by iWork '09.

Um... that's a problem?

Backwards compatability for dummies:
    • New versions of software can open files saved by all previous versions.

• Old versions may not be able to open files saved with a new version.
      • New versions typically have a "Save As..." option to save in the old format.

Use it if you need to share your file with someone running an older version.

Apple fulfilled their obligation for backward compatibility here - this isn't news.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voretaq7 View Post

Apple fulfilled their obligation for backward compatibility here - this isn't news.

Maybe so but a standardized file format, or at least some kind of easy conversion process (a plug in?) would make sense and go a long way not to piss people off that find themselves being told that to open the file they just got sent they have to pay $'s. By the way, is it possible to see an 09 document with Quickview without actually having 09?
  • Reply 18 of 46
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

But this isn't a "bug" per se.

I take issue with this article in that it implies that there is some kind of "new issue" with compatibility and that Apple has just issued a "warning" about it or something, when in fact this is the expected (and already known) behaviour and functionality of the product isn't it?

Why is this being framed as some kind of scary problem, when this is almost standard procedure in the software world for years and years???

Yep, this is a non-issue. I thought they were stating the opposite for a minute there.

Older Office versions (maybe just Windows versions) usually eventually get an add-in to open newer file format. That's only when the Office team gets around to it. I'd hope Apple would eventually do the same as a convenience and courtesy for its user base (Edit: with a warning that newer features won't come over.).
  • Reply 19 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

At least Microsoft ensure that it works within all their updates LOL

Apple doesn't even test it to see if it works within their own Apps... SAD!!!!

a) You've had a VERY different experience with Microsoft, Office/Word/WordPad and doc/docx than I have

b) You didn't read the article. The new version DOES work with the old version. There is no bug, nothing to fix, and no failure to test. The article is just a reminder to you to save as iWork 08 if you wish to open in iWork 08. (An obvious step, which iWork 09 not only CAN do, it offers to do so automatically.)
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Actually Microsoft Office has generally opened files regardless or origin for quite some time. In fact there no issues going from 2003 to 2002 (except for the Outlook PST file, which only you would use with 2003 (as it stores your emails etc) unless migrating back to 2002). In addition I think generally for the most part Office 2000 had no issues with 2002 or 2003.

When the new docx format arrive in 2007, Microsoft was very quick in creating a plugin for 2003.

You would think they would atleast create some compatibility with the last version. Most users don't document what version their file is, just they just attach it to a file. Which is exactly why this is a stupid over sight and why Microsoft quickly created the docx plugin as most people aren't going to go choose a compatibility mode, they are just gonna hit save.