Late rumor has iPhone 3.0 getting copy-and-paste, multitasking

Comments

• Reply 41 of 138
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

I would like Task Syncing. I, as well a lot of people I know, use tasks all of the time.

I'm with you on this one. Lack of copy and paste drives me up the wall, but the work around I use for tasks right now is embarrassing, considering I'm using "the world's premiere smart phone." I still don't know how the iPhone made it this far without having this ability. The Palm Pre can do it so hopefully this means iPhone will soon be able to as well.
  • Reply 42 of 138
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lakorai View Post

My HTC Touch Pro (sprint) has background app capability

it can do decent quality video

it had copy and paste when Windows Mobile 5.0 was available

It has an accelerometer

I CAN RUN BACKGROUND APPS

It had Exchange support way before the iPhone did

THE BATTERY IS NOT SOLDERED or hard to replace

It uses standard USB 2.0 for charging, syncing etc

IT HAS A KEYBOARD

ITS NOT STUCK TO JUST AT&T

I'M not paying a "apple tax" for apple to make free margin off the the carrier's monthly plans (Only apple does this BTW)

I'm not paying close to $100 a month for 500 minutes, text messaging etc

I can use the SERO SPrint plan with my Touch Pro =)

I CAN GET INSURANCE FROM LOCKLINE for it (Come on APple! WTF? When will you/AT&T allow insurance)

AT&T's service sucks (not saying Sprint's is that great either, but I'm on a SERO Pla n so I don't care lol)

Your third post. You have already stated that you do …"not support the platform…"* and you "…hate Macs…"†

So if you are so smart, then why the hell are you here? You have everything you want.

I think I have a pretty good idea why, i.e., your company won't buy one for you. I wonder why.

Quote:

Hell, I hate Macs and I would probably buy one (netbook at $500 600) for that price (I'm a Mac/PC IT administrator)†

* 1st Post: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...06#post1113806

† 2nd Post: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...296#post138729
  • Reply 43 of 138
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Engadget had a story based on the Rose stuff saying that there would NOT be multitasking. Which is it?
  • Reply 44 of 138
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,466member
    • it can do decent quality video

I do not know why Apple did not add the Video-capture feature to the iPhone, it is available for free via third-party developers but requires jail-breaking. The quality is very good too, I used it myself.

• it had copy and paste when Windows Mobile 5.0 was available

Copy and Paste on an touch-screen interface requires different technology. Keyboard and Stylus interfaces face lesser challenges.

• It has an accelerometer

they both have a microphone too, what is your point, i don't understand?!

• My HTC Touch Pro (sprint) has background app capability

• I CAN RUN BACKGROUND APPS

The iPhone can run background apps too, but Apple has decided that it's not the right time for 3rd party apps to do so yet.

• It had Exchange support way before the iPhone did

Exchange was available before the inception of the iPhone, so I don't know what your point is.

• THE BATTERY IS NOT SOLDERED or hard to replace

The iPhone's battery allows the phone to be thinner and hold more charge. BTW the battery is replaceable, it is just not user-replaceable.

• It uses standard USB 2.0 for charging, syncing etc

The iPhone also uses USB to sync and charge. I'm yet to see an easier phone to sync than the iPhone.

• IT HAS A KEYBOARD

iPhone also has a keyboard as you probably know, just not a physical one. I personally do not like physical keyboards it makes the the device thicker.

• ITS NOT STUCK TO JUST AT&T

Apple inked a contract with Singular (now AT&T) because they were the only ones willing to work with Apple to offer Visual Voice Mail. Sprint has turned down that opportunity and lost big-time.

• I'M not paying a "apple tax" for apple to make free margin off the the carrier's monthly plans (Only apple does this BTW)

Apple brought AT&T an unprecedented number of new customers, they deserve a cut from the profits.

• I'm not paying close to $100 a month for 500 minutes, text messaging etc

As you probably know Sprint is in financial crises, much more than AT&T and Verizon, so yes they do have killer deals. However, their 3G network is very limited and their 4G network is only available to limited customers on the east coast.

• I can use the SERO SPrint plan with my Touch Pro =)

• I CAN GET INSURANCE FROM LOCKLINE for it (Come on APple! WTF? When will you/AT&T allow insurance)

According to Sprint the SERO Plan has been retired. As for the insurance, I never needed insurance for any of my phones and I'm planning to stay up to date on my iPhone, i.e. always purchase the latest model.

• AT&T's service sucks (not saying Sprint's is that great either, but I'm on a SERO Pla n so I don't care lol)

AT&T in my area works as well as Verizon, and sometimes better. They've apparently made some major changes to their network and they're continuously updating. I don't like Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint customer service they're all the same. The only provider in the U.S. that I find treats customers well is TMobile.

According to statistics iPhone users occupy over 60% of all cell-phone and smart-phone web browsing, yet the iPhone occupies only a fraction of the market's cell-phones and smart-phones user base. Concluding that web-browsing on the iPhone is better. Don't forget the app-store, iPhone apps were rated by far the cheapest of all smart-phone apps.
  • Reply 45 of 138
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    remember SJ had the "features" of the pre for some time, do you really think the iphone 3.0 will match or move up to the pre features, the next iphone will dazzle and push pre htc etc down the road, they will remain a year or more behine, apple always dazzles especially when they have 6 months lead time, it won't be "as good" it will be way better.

SJ rules even remotely
  • Reply 46 of 138
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I've tried video through jailbreaking with "Cycorder". The quality, due to hardware limitations, is very poor. My guess is Apple didn't want to enable video because of this reason. Now, on the other hand - just because it won't be enabled in the 3.0 update for existing iPhones, doesn't mean it won't be enabled on the new iPhone coming out whenever. BTW, although I get good test results for 3G speeds - doesn't mean the experience is good. Surfing on the iPhone 3G is like dial-up. We need more RAM (I don't mean storage) and a faster processor. AT&T needs to start boosting the network.

From Saturday's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/14/te...YH8LDI3i9ctnnw
  • Reply 47 of 138
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    You know what most people want a phone for and what the real killer app for the iPhone would be?? A phone that actually RINGS reliably when somebody calls you!

Over the last couple of years with my 2G iPhone I intermittently miss calls. Sometimes I just think the ringer isn't loud enough and I didn't hear it above the background noise but on at least a couple of occasions I know FOR A FACT that it didn't ring at all. I had the phone on the table next to me in a silent room when I was expecting a call. No ringing. No message on the display that I'd missed a call. I then unlocked the phone, went into the phone app and checked the recent calls page and saw two missed calls listed from 2 and 3 minutes previously! Grrrr.

(Other than that it's a great phone, but copy and paste would definitely be a nice addition.)
  • Reply 48 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

You know what most people want a phone for and what the real killer app for the iPhone would be?? A phone that actually RINGS reliably when somebody calls you!

Over the last couple of years with my 2G iPhone I intermittently miss calls. Sometimes I just think the ringer isn't loud enough and I didn't hear it above the background noise but on at least a couple of occasions I know FOR A FACT that it didn't ring at all. I had the phone on the table next to me in a silent room when I was expecting a call. No ringing. No message on the display that I'd missed a call. I then unlocked the phone, went into the phone app and checked the recent calls page and saw two unmissed calls listed from 2 and 3 minutes previously! Grrrr.

I had a similar experience where I would get voicemail without the phone actually ringing, the reception was fine, almost full-bars. Doesn't happen often, but it's weird.
  • Reply 49 of 138
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

First Safari does not run in the background and yes it does sometimes crash, I did not claim Apple to be prone to crashes, however bad code should be expected from 3rd party developers since Apple opened the App Store to virtually everyone.

Currently only the necessary apps run in the background such as: Calendar, Mail, Clock, and Phone. The only ones that seems to run in full-code are the Phone app, and the Clock app if an Alarm was set, otherwise all other apps run in partial code.

I also use Pandora and I can't imagine the iPhone playing audio while browsing the internet on the same 3G network. How about if I had multiple apps running in the background, how responsive will the device become?

Eventually when the iPhone becomes more powerful and can handle more RAM, I'd also expect it to be able to carryout more desktop like features but not in the current 2G and 3G models.

I could be wrong, but these are my thoughts.

I didn't mean safari ran in the background, more to the point was that you were suggesting 3rd party apps wold be a problem becuase of their bugs, when in fact apple has enough of their apps with bugs too.

To your second point on Pandora and the web, pandora can cut back the bit rate as it does when you drop to an edge only connection. I understand your point, but I would rather have it drop down in quality for the time I'm surfing and also understand that it will take away from some data that would be getting through to the browser. What about when I'm on wifi, surely there is enough bandwidth then?
  • Reply 50 of 138
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    you might never have had too thick silicone case screening that goddamned proximity sensor! Totally dead phone and dispatcher's voice beseeching from it: "For A please dial 1, for B please dial 2, ..."
  • Reply 51 of 138
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Engadget had a story based on the Rose stuff saying that there would NOT be multitasking. Which is it?

This is what I believe is going to happen according to Kevin Rose and the all the other rumors:

Copy & Paste will be revealed in the iphone 3.0 SDK this Tuesday.

Multitasking, video, and possibly MMS will not be revealed in Tuesday's SDK preview.

I do not believe so because the iphone 1.0 and iphone 3G simply does not have the hardware capability.

But multitasking, video and all the rest WILL come but not until June's iphone 3.0 announcement. That product will be based on new hardware.

So updates or not the iphone 1.0 and iphone 3G will never get multitasking, video and other stuff because it simply can't run it. At least they can't run it well.

You will have to buy iphone 3.0 if you want those features.

So forget the iphone SDK preview for all the good stuff. All its going to have for you is copy and paste and a few other minor features.

To fulfill what Kevin said about multitasking you will have to get the iphone 3.0 handset in June. That product will far surpass what Palm's WebOS has.
  • Reply 52 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

you might never have had too thick silicone case covering that goddamned proximity sensor! Totally dead phone and dispatcher's voice beseeching from it: "For A please dial 1, for B please dial 2, ..."

• Reply 53 of 138
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    [QUOTE=Quadra 610;1390712]One wonders, then, how on earth the iPhone was able to so completely shake up the entire indusry almost overnight, and then go on to nearly dominate it.

Oh wait . . . probably because it's already an amazing product WITHOUT copy/paste/multitasking/MMS/video.

Actually, and I have no idea why the developers can't get their heads together, it was diego the browser. Create a smart phone ghathas a full browser and you might have a hit. I say might as the app store which came out a year later, helps. Truth is, allanor players will have app store so they need to use a browser, perhaps chrome and not thses cheesey ie that display text only.
  • Reply 54 of 138
    Quote:

OK, I'll show you. Normally, when you lift iPhone and place it against the ear, it turns its display off. If you return iPhone into the position before your eyes the display comes back. This is how its proximity sensor works. If the phone is nude.

Sometimes cases prevent that sensor from working properly. You do lower the phone, but display is not turned on. If you did it to dial some extension it's the end of the call.
  • Reply 55 of 138
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Multitasking with only 128M ram? They better be small tasks.

Maybe that's what they'll do - any bg task that exceeds a certain footprint gets automatically killed.

hmmm... well if i remember right i could fit every single application i own on 128M worth of ram... just a though.
  • Reply 56 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

OK, I'll show you. Normally, when you lift iPhone and place it against the ear, it turns its display off. If you return iPhone into the position before your eyes the display comes back. This is how its proximity sensor works. If the phone is nude.

Sometimes cases prevent that sensor from working properly. You do lower the phone, but display is not turned on. If you did it to dial some extension it's the end of the call.

First, my case does not cover the sensor.

Second, the sensor does not turn off the screen unless the phone is unlocked, ringing or calling, and the sensor is blocked.

Third, the proximity sensor does not deactivate the ringer or the vibration.

• Reply 57 of 138
    Quote:

First, my case does not cover the sensor.

First, you have very good case. Like mine

Quote:

Second, the sensor does not turn off the screen unless the phone is unlocked, ringing or calling, and the sensor is blocked.

Second, this is wrong. BS.

Quote:

Third, the proximity sensor does not deactivate the ringer or the vibration.

Third, seconded.
  • Reply 58 of 138
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

I have to agree with you. Therefore I believe apple will announce what the NEXT generation iPhone will be able to do. And possibly it's release date.

And thereby immediately kill most sales of current model between now and release?

Not a chance.
  • Reply 59 of 138
    Wow...guess I'll return the iPhone's I bought on Saturday

I had a BB with T-Mo; folks are right, T-Mo has great customer service. However, in my area [Southern Maine] I was only able to get 3 - 4 bars, usually 3. Went to AT&T/iPhone, and now have a Full 5 and 3G. Works great! Two family members have Verizon and Sprint; neither work well. Maybe 1 or 2 bars, on a good day.

As for the originial poster stating $100/mo for data/text. We bought 3 iPhones; 550 Family Plan, and for all 3 we're only paying $160/Month, with rollover. I guess we're not heavy duty users like some? For the same family plan on T-Mo, with 1 BB, and 2 vanilla flip phones we were paying $120/mo. So for an extra $40/mo we get cool phones and better reception.

I guess it boils down to do what you think is best for you, and it's not a one size fits all...
  • Reply 60 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple MAY be adding some of the iPhone's most heavily requested software features -- including multitasking the ability to copy and paste text -- with the unveiling of the 3.0 update this week.

We'll find out tomorrow.