Apple's 3G iPod shuffle reviewed: a step too far?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Edit: why does Apple move the controls to the earphone? Because that's the best place when you exercise. No matter where you put the iPod, the controls are easily accessible no matter what activities you are doing. For people who are exercising, the best placement is to place the iPod in the pants pocket, and run the wires inside the T-shirt. With the old Shuffle, you have to reach inside your pants pocket to change anything. The new controls are much better.

have you actually ever done any exercise, or just making stuff up?
  • Reply 102 of 128
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Your comments shows that you like the G2 very much that you won't even consider a newer way. I am not saying G2 is bad. However, I have the G1 only so I can compare the G2 and G3 more fairly.

I'm more than willing to consider new features, I thought I pointed that out. My main issue with the Shuffle is that they've been going through the process of reducing the player, but not always for the better. The original was an all-in-one, controls, battery and even USB port.

Admittedly, I was skeptical about the G2 when it came out, as it scrapped the USB port for the sake of size and gave us yet another accessory which I have to keep in my bag if I want to sync on the fly. That being said, the result of omitting the USB port allowed the iPod to be small enough to clip wherever. That was a benefit that outweighed the loss of the USB port. (and in regards to running and hand position, regardless of where your hands are when running, you can always have the G2 and its controls close by).

With the G3, we have removed the controls from the unit. And like the G2, we have another accessory to worry about - headphones with controls. But, like the G2, do we have a benefit? I am not sure that we do, or at least not one that interests me right now.

Perhaps after letting the G3 grow on me, I might find something with it, but at first and second glance, nothing. Again, from my means of use, the voice ID doesn't do anything for me - if I got one it would be the first thing I turned off. As for the larger size, as I said, most shuffle users have a second, larger iPod, so I don't know if its a big deal. All the talk of removing the controls is being hailed as a positive, but I just see it.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It sounds like they have much room for improvement on this new design as listed in the cons of the review.

Personally I believe the voiceover will be refined and be able to allow Shuffle users to use Nike+ components. There's no reason why Apple couldn't do that in the shuffle and have the iPod give voice updates or one's progress on a run or walk.

The Shuffle could also gain a GPS chip and give one's location. Voice directions should be just as good as visual.
  • Reply 104 of 128
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    does iPod (Shuffle, God bless its designers) have to do with 3G
  • Reply 105 of 128
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

what does iPod (Shuffle, God bless its designers) have to do with 3G

Here, 3G means third generation. This is the third generation of iPod Shuffle.
  • Reply 106 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Here, 3G means third generation. This is the third generation of iPod Shuffle.

Ah. Thanks. Somewhat misleading.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Just imagine that you've got a person who's never used any music player of any sort before. In terms of basic playback control - play, pause, stop, back, forward, rewind, fast forward - which is going to be easier to teach them: a 2G Shuffle or a 3G Shuffle? I cannot see how anyone could honestly believe it's the 3G Shuffle - hence the 2G is easier to use.

Well said Mr. H

The clickwheel of the 2G shuffle is very idiot proof. The new shuffle isn't. Apple needs a video to explain the new Shuffle. It won't appeal to new entrants that are not too familiar with technology. Hence the tragedy.

The new shuffle will appeal to the high end (iPhone/iPod touch) user however.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Confusing, sure, but I wouldn't call it misleading. The cell carriers and cell vendors have pushed '3G' as a marketing term so much to refer to cell radios that we've forgotten that it just means 3rd generation. We use GPRS and EDGE but then didn't use UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA or HSPA. Granted that is a whole lot of confusing acronyms and those are just for 3G on GSM-based networks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The clickwheel of the 2G shuffle is very idiot proof. The new shuffle isn't. Apple needs a video to explain the new Shuffle. It won't appeal to new entrants that are not too familiar with technology. Hence the tragedy.

There is no click wheel on the 2G Shuffle. It's just buttons in a circular arrangement. I don't think having a video means it's difficult to use, only that it's different. I've been using the in-line remote on my iPhones for nearly two years now without issue. I even bought Apple's $79 in-ear phones with in-line remote and mic because I find the controls so useful (and because I just hate Apple's ear buds with a passion). I could have bought other vendor's in-ear phones but I would have lost functionality without gaining much, if any, improvement in sound for the price over Apple's premium offering.

The first iPod with a synaptic clickwheel was unusual but natural enough that it was quickly understood. This remote with click once to play/pause, click twice to FF, click thrice to RW, and the plus sign for volume up, minus sign for volume down should not be difficult to understand.

Quote:

The new shuffle will appeal to the high end (iPhone/iPod touch) user however.

Why exactly will appeal to them but not others?
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Confusing, sure, but I wouldn't call it misleading. The cell carriers and cell vendors have pushed '3G' as a marketing term so much to refer to cell radios that we've forgotten that it just means 3rd generation. We use GPRS and EDGE but then didn't use UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA or HSPA. Granted that is a whole lot of confusing acronyms and those are just for 3G on GSM-based networks.

Isn't it ®egistered?

UPD: Can't state that for sure. Yet ITU employs 3G as a synonym to IMT-2000 with no hesitation.
  • Reply 110 of 128
    Quote:

Isn't it ®egistered?

UPD: Can't state that for sure. Yet ITU employs 3G as a synonym to IMT-2000 with no hesitation.

It doesn't matter if it is or not, since it was commonly used prior to any 3rd generation network being created. I think being a trademark also means that the use of 3G would have to be written a certain way AND be used in a used way to be in any violation. Referring to the 3rd generation iPod Shuffle as simple 3G in plain text should not be in violation.

(I'll need my large iced coffee from McDonalds® before all my cylinders are firing)
  • Reply 111 of 128
    Quote:

It doesn't matter if it is or not, since it was commonly used prior to any 3rd generation network being created. I think being a trademark also means that the use of 3G would have to be written a certain way AND be used in a used way to be in any violation. Referring to the 3rd generation iPod Shuffle as simple 3G in plain text should not be in violation.

(I'll need my large iced coffee from McDonalds® before all my cylinders are firing)

OK, OK, you convinced me. Afaik, I could easily get it as new iPod was gonna cost 3G's, too
  • Reply 112 of 128
    Quote:

. . .

Brilliant insight.

• Reply 113 of 128
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yeah, you can tell some people are really "confused" when they ask the difference between a 2G iPhone and a 3G iPhone...

• Reply 114 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Yeah, you can tell some people are really "confused" when they ask the difference between a 2G iPhone and a 3G iPhone...

Just wait until we start talking about the 3rd generation iPhone in a simplified form on these forums.
  • Reply 115 of 128
    Quote:

They're asking that? They should have got some reasons... Wait... Both batteries are crap. You can still watch youtube over EDGE... No, some people got the right to be confused...
  • Reply 116 of 128
    Great article, I totally agree with it. This really looks like a redesign for its own sake - they took something that wasn't broke and tried to "fix" it.

One quibble - I disagree that apple was "forced" to redesign to keep buyers interested. I'd argue that a price drop and capacity boost would have been a good start. If they really wanted to do more, they could have added playlists and/or voice to the old form factor (I think it would be better to have the option to have the voice ONLY for changing playlists). Or even include the remote in addition to the controls on the unit.

Apple got it right with the second generation (and I'd even argue that even the first gen had advantages, I always liked the USB port on the unit itself so no adapter or cable was needed). This really seems like a step back, and I really think it's likely that we'll see the controls come back in the next redesign (sure they'll sell some of these, but I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being more demand for the 2nd generation, which apple is still selling).
  • Reply 117 of 128
    Quote:

They're asking that? They should have got some reasons... Wait... Both batteries are crap. You can still watch youtube over EDGE... No, some people got the right to be confused...

Both batteries?

Serious? You know what differences there are between a 2G iPhone and a 3G iPhone (think about your original post)?
  • Reply 118 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Exactly. How is it that everyone is missing that?

Because there are people who use shuffles and actually DO use the controls? How are you missing that?

Quote:

PS: Why is that with every Apple product release we get people crying that Apple is no longer supporting their needs? Does this happen with other vendors, too?

I agree that there seems to be complaining with every apple product release. But that doesn't mean that the complaining is right in some cases.

There are people demanding esoteric features that nobody really wants. But in this case they are selling a music player with no controls on the device. And the controls on the remote are less intuitive than the last version.
  • Reply 119 of 128
    Quote:

Both batteries?

Serious?

Absolutely.

Quote:

You know what differences there are between a 2G iPhone and a 3G iPhone (think about your original post)?

I do, I do... My original post wasn't about iPhone. What's the point to think of it?
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Quote:

What's the point to think of it?

You asked what does 3G has to do with the shuffle.

If you are refering to a 3G network, nothing You seem to have confused a 3G network with the 3G (3rd generation).

A 2G (2nd generation) iPhone IS a 3G (cell network) iPhone. There is no difference because they are one and the same.

'nuff said...