Apple's 3G iPod shuffle reviewed: a step too far?

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You asked what does 3G has to do with the shuffle.

If you are refering to a 3G network, nothing You seem to have confused a 3G network with the 3G (3rd generation).

Quite so. I believe "3G" has now steady meaning being a synonym of the "wireless networking standard of 3rd generation".

Quote:

A 2G (2nd generation) iPhone IS a 3G (cell network) iPhone. There is no difference because they are one and the same.

'nuff said...

If you like it. Just beware nobody uses the notion "2G iPhone". People used to call it "iPhone 3G" meaning the iPhone of 2nd generation by that.
  • Reply 122 of 128
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Quite so. I believe "3G" has now steady meaning being a synonym of the "wireless networking standard of 3rd generation".

If you are talking about cell phones, yes it does. If you are talking about iPods, it does not, as in a 3G iPod nano or in this case, as you brought up, a 3G iPod shuffle.

Quote:

Just beware nobody uses the notion "2G iPhone"

Yes they do which is why I (am really sorry I) brought it up.

Some people hear "3G" and assume a "2G" must be the previous model.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    While syncing, the computer is also having to create and upload all the VoiceOver audio files that the user might potentially listen to. (It was exciting to believe that the shuffle had real text-to-speech capabilities, but it doesn't...)
  • Reply 124 of 128
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

If you are talking about cell phones, yes it does. If you are talking about iPods, it does not, as in a 3G iPod nano or in this case, as you brought up, a 3G iPod shuffle.

Yes they do which is why I (am really sorry I) brought it up.

Some people hear "3G" and assume a "2G" must be the previous model.

OK, I learned it all right now.
  • Reply 125 of 128
    flexflex Posts: 1member
    I live in an area where the weather gets cold and when it does the controls on my iphone don't work. They seem to get too cold to double click. About the only thing that seems to work is a single click and even that doesn't work well. So for me purchasing one of these would be out of the question because I wouldn't be able to use and of the controls
  • Reply 126 of 128
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    I bought the new nano a couple of days ago and finally decided to return it. Being currently boxed into Apple earbuds ecosystem was unacceptable to me. Maybe when there is an adapter...a heavy duty adapter, I will reconsider.
  • Reply 127 of 128
    Just think if Apple would put a touch surface on the side of the shuffle and also some sorta simple E-ink display!
  • Reply 128 of 128
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The new shuffle is the first ipod that has not interested me at all and after reading this review I am now certain it's not for me. I am really surprised that after 5 pages of what was essentially complete negativity that it still netted a 3/5. I think anyone that sees no problem with instantly spending more money on headphones that cost as much as the player or having to wait for (hopefully) third parties to make some kind of jack lead or better headphones as well as it not even remotely fitting in with literally thousands of aux stereo devices and accessories out there is being too much of an apologist.

And that's not even to mention the ugly, bland design. At least throw the apple logo on the front, it's the first item to not need the front and that's what they do with it? And why can't the player have the exact headphone rocker controls on the side of the body or something, it would still look discrete, they could still intend the headphones to be the main control area and it won't leave people out in the cold.

But people will quickly chime in and tell me I'm cluttering it up, making it ugly, making it non-apple etc. Well to take I say then is just being made this small for the sake of being small. People don't need anal suppository music players. Form is crippling function.