Apple offers fix for iMac's Radeon HD 4850 freezing issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let me ask you a question.

Why do you bother to even use a Mac and admit to owning them?

Just use an affordable Windows-based PC and problem solved. Just switch.

All you do is troll and complain about Macs.

Yet, this is in your sig:

iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model

Nano 3rd/4th gen

iPhone 2G/3G

If you CLEARLY dislike Apple and Macs so much, then . . . WHY DO YOU EVEN OWN THESE PRODUCTS? Just sell them. No more worries, no more stress.

It seems pretty stupid of you to have them in your possession and constantly troll about them. Does it make sense to hang on to, and discuss something you dislike that much? There is an ocean of PCs out there for you to pick and choose from, and they have nothing to do with Macs, and they run Windows.

The result:

No need for you to come in here and complain, which means no more headaches on your part. You'll be a satisfied user, which you cearly are not. The only kind of person who keeps using something they dislike and who then takes the time and trouble to complain about it is someone who is mentally ill.

Fair?

Why? I love the OS system and got lots of software for it.

Apple has to improve on the hardware aspect. They have gone backwards IMO!

I will continue to complain as freedom of expression until something is done (I have voiced my opinion to Apple and they are well aware of it)

In the end you will get a quality product at premium price because of ME
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

And this is the main reason I won't spend the money on Apple's "premium" (I meant designer though) computers anymore. When we pay as much as we do, we expect it to work decently well.

They used to have good QC, what happened? I've noticed a big change when we went to intel, but I don't know how much of that is really it.

It is because Apple is getting bigger and most of there products are made in China.

I noticed that the iMacs with the serial number starting with "W" have more issues than "YM" or "QP"

I don't mind paying a premium price for something, as long as it's a PREMIUM product.

If not, you will hear me complain until they justify the price.

This iMac has been the same design since 2007 through 2009 and the same issues with the LCD appear only worse. Does it take 2+ years for Apple to make the changes? I thought for sure with a new product launch in March they would fix the LCD but they didn't. Beats me!
  • Reply 23 of 80
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I will continue to complain as freedom of expression until something is done (I have voiced my opinion to Apple and they are well aware of it)

...someone certainly has a high opinion of themselves!! I understand the whole love of the OS and investment in software. I think what some of the users are stating is that you seem to have a had a lot of problems with Apple products and combined with your posts, you come off like most of the people that were having the red ring of death problems with their Xbox 360s. There were people stating that they were on their fifth or tenth (for example) 360!! I'm sorry, but if I can't get a satisfactory product by the third time around, then maybe I should consider other options. Apple is no exception to this. I have had VERY little in the way of problems in the sixteen years I have owned Apple hardware, so I am good with that. In your case, it sounds like you need to explore some other options since Apple seems to be causing you so much grief though. Just something to consider. Some companies tend to notice problems more when people just stop using their product. It is a known fact in the retail world.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

...someone certainly has a high opinion of themselves!! I understand the whole love of the OS and investment in software. I think what some of the users are stating is that you seem to have a had a lot of problems with Apple products and combined with your posts, you come off like most of the people that were having the red ring of death problems with their Xbox 360s. There were people stating that they were on their fifth or tenth (for example) 360!! I'm sorry, but if I can't get a satisfactory product by the third time around, then maybe I should consider other options. Apple is no exception to this. I have had VERY little in the way of problems in the sixteen years I have owned Apple hardware, so I am good with that. In your case, it sounds like you need to explore some other options since Apple seems to be causing you so much grief though. Just something to consider. Some companies tend to notice problems more when people just stop using their product. It is a known fact in the retail world.

Or it could be the shift to making it cheaper but still charging the premium price in hopes that no one would complain?

So because Apple has a fan base, they think they could get away with it and people will just use it because they want it.... Not so the case! I want it and will point out the horrible QC and hopefully Apple will do something about it.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    cdrburrcdrburr Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyindenver View Post

Just got my new 4870 from Apple for my early 2008 MacPro. Aperture won't run. Says the card doesn't meet the min. requirements. Huh?? WTF?

I have an early 2008 MacPro, and recently bought an Apple Cinema Display 24". Of course, on Apple's advice, I had to upgrade my video card to a 4870, and what a beast it is. The display is brilliant, but iPhoto '09 has problems, VMWare Fusion will not run, the machine will not enter sleep mode, etc., etc. After several conversations with Apple, I am left with the admission they released the card before the software was ready, but they "expect it to be available for download" any day now. One tech told me that 10.5.7 will be out "within two weeks."
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDRBurr View Post

I have an early 2008 MacPro, and recently bought an Apple Cinema Display 24". Of course, on Apple's advice, I had to upgrade my video card to a 4870, and what a beast it is. The display is brilliant, but iPhoto '09 has problems, VMWare Fusion will not run, the machine will not enter sleep mode, etc., etc. After several conversations with Apple, I am left with the admission they released the card before the software was ready, but they "expect it to be available for download" any day now. One tech told me that 10.5.7 will be out "within two weeks."

Again, Apple should have thought of the 'after sale'

Firstly, Apple should have covered all the bases...

a) Is the current software capable of handling the new hardware? No. Then don't release the hardware.

b) Does the hardware need new drivers? Yes. Then don't release the hardware.

IMO, Apple is doing a fine job in bad PR and making themselves look just as bad as Microsoft.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Right.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/searc...8&pp=25&page=4
  • Reply 28 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

yet Apple is taking their time

No they're not. They said that some cards were sent out too early be mistake. software takes its own time. You can be sure that whomever authorized the sending out of those cards has had a good talking to.

This is embarrassing to Apple. It's not something they would have wanted to happen.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:

It is because Apple is getting bigger and most of there products are made in China.

I've seen this here before, and it's just as much nonsense now as it was then.

Apple, as most all other computer manufacturers, has had their computers made in china for a decade or so. That has nothing to do with anything other than having them cost less than they would have.

Dell, until recently, has made its own computers here, and in Europe. Their quality has never been anything to brag about.

Apple is having no more problems now that in years past. Every time they have some problem I read this about them having more problems than before. And that's going back to the time when their computers were made here.

Quote:

I don't mind paying a premium price for something, as long as it's a PREMIUM product.

If not, you will hear me complain until they justify the price.

You have the right to complain, but I suspect that you will always find something to complain about. Some people it seems, just like to complain.

I don't like it when Apple has problems any more than you do, likely less, as I have a fair amount of stock. but I realize that all companies have problems, and that some of it is beyond their control.

I have two 24" iMacs from 2008 here, and neither one has a monitor problem. We have more than a few in the photo labs in my daughters school, as well as 20" models, and their monitors are fine as well. I checked them carefully once this problem became known. But it affected a bunch of models around a certain time, and that's it. It's not as though all of these machines were affected. Apple took care of those who had the problem. Not every manufacturer would have even bothered to do that.

Quote:

This iMac has been the same design since 2007 through 2009 and the same issues with the LCD appear only worse. Does it take 2+ years for Apple to make the changes? I thought for sure with a new product launch in March they would fix the LCD but they didn't. Beats me!

Again, this isn't really true.

Look, all monitor lines from all manufacturers have problems. mostly, people don't even notice them, or care. It often seems that Mac users are much pickier than most PC users, because I've seen plenty od PC monitors with visual problems that people haven't mentioned to me. I don't bother to even tell them about them when I see them, because why worry them with something they don't notice?

I have seen a couple of iMacs with "bad" monitors. But bad by what standard? Almost all monitors have a certain amount of off color, or unevenness in backlighting. How much it too much? If you have to look for the problem in order to find it, then it's likely not too much. I know people who don't see problems in products until they read about them. Then they notice it. It that REALLY a problem? Likely not.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes people pose the assumption that Apple didn't have many problems before. Now they have more than ever, this isn't true at all. When dealing with consumer electronics problems happen.I think people just like to jump on Apple more than anyone else about it.

How could you have sampled a large enough selection of iMac's to observe serial numbers starting with W have more issues than serial numbers with YM or QP? I don't believe you could possibly have. If you did, you sir have absolutely waaaaay too much time on your hands.

Quote:

I noticed that the iMacs with the serial number starting with "W" have more issues than "YM" or "QP"

• Reply 31 of 80
    Considering the office bought 10 units all having different serial numbers, I noticed a difference between them. Some units have a yellowish or blueish tinge on either side. So that is how I know
  • Reply 32 of 80
    That's par for the course with monitors. They all produce slightly different images. You could have a group of monitors that cost $10,000 each, if you look hard enough they will all have some type of difference in the way they produce color or contrast. Its pretty much impossible for two monitors to produce the exact same image.

As Mel said earlier it comes down the differences being close enough to not make much difference or being too different to be usable.

Quote:

Considering the office bought 10 units all having different serial numbers, I noticed a difference between them. Some units have a yellowish or blueish tinge on either side. So that is how I know

• Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's par for the course with monitors. They all produce slightly different images. You could have a group of monitors that cost $10,000 each, if you look hard enough they will all have some type of difference in the way they produce color or contrast. Its pretty much impossible for two monitors to produce the exact same image.

As Mel said earlier it comes down the differences being close enough to not make much difference or being too different to be usable.

I got an iMac with a blueish tinge the whites look blueish lol
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Did you attempt to recalibrate the color profiles to bring the white point more into white? You can freely adjust the gama in system preferences.

Quote:

• Reply 35 of 80
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

yet Apple is taking their time

What, you want to them to rush something out without adequate testing?

It takes time to do things right.

Unless you're sole interest is in more things to complain about, the which seems more and more likely as time passes.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let me ask you a question.

Why do you bother to even use a Mac and admit to owning them?

Just use an affordable Windows-based PC and problem solved. Just switch.

All you do is troll and complain about Macs.

Yet, this is in your sig:

iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model

Nano 3rd/4th gen

iPhone 2G/3G

As one who recently bought a 24" iMac and 24" LED Cinema display, I would argue that his complaints are without solid basis.

But then, I don't buy computer equipment to b1tch about it here.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:

So calibrate the display already!!
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:

As others have said, calibrate the monitor.

I hate to think that I have to tell you this, but EVERY monitor you buy, other than high end professional graphics monitors is "bluish" from the factory, and don't try to say otherwise, because if you do, it will only show that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Manufacturers, from computer monitor manufacturers, to Tv manufacturers, set their monitors at a high color temp. (usually around 9,300 k) and high contrast, with higher saturation.

Why?

Because the average customer doesn't know any better, and likes brighter screens, which setting it bluer allows, as well as high contrast and saturation, so the image will "pop".

Is this good? No it's not. Does that matter? Nope! They do it anyway.

Computer monitor manufacturers, Apple included, do less damage on the high saturation and contrast front that do Tv manufacturers.

But it's a simple engineering problem that setting a monitor to 6,500 D, or esp. 5,000 D brings down the possible brightness. As most people work in bright rooms, they want brighter monitors.

In fact, very few monitors can even be calibrated to the 5,000 D standard, which is why the industry settled on 6,500 D.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As others have said, calibrate the monitor.

I hate to think that I have to tell you this, but EVERY monitor you buy, other than high end professional graphics monitors is "bluish" from the factory, and don't try to say otherwise, because if you do, it will only show that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Manufacturers, from computer monitor manufacturers, to Tv manufacturers, set their monitors at a high color temp. (usually around 9,300 k) and high contrast, with higher saturation.

Why?

Because the average customer doesn't know any better, and likes brighter screens, which setting it bluer allows, as well as high contrast and saturation, so the image will "pop".

Is this good? No it's not. Does that matter? Nope! They do it anyway.

Computer monitor manufacturers, Apple included, do less damage on the high saturation and contrast front that do Tv manufacturers.

But it's a simple engineering problem that setting a monitor to 6,500 D, or esp. 5,000 D brings down the possible brightness. As most people work in bright rooms, they want brighter monitors.

In fact, very few monitors can even be calibrated to the 5,000 D standard, which is why the industry settled on 6,500 D.

I did with Huey Pro and and it sucked more.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:

I did with Huey Pro and and it sucked more.

Then it wasn't done right. All monitors can be calibrated.