New iMacs in MacWorld?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think are the chances for new iMacs in MacWorld? New cases and all?

Maybe at least a hardware upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I doubt there will be a case redesign, but a black iMac would be cool. Minor hdw bumps though I still have an irrational hope for a 24"er with a conroe.

24" - proc bump, 7600GT 256MB standard/optional?

20" - proc bump, 7300GT 128MB standard/optional 7600GT 256MB

17" - proc bump, base model X1600 standard/better model 7300GT 128MB standard
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus

I doubt there will be a case redesign, but a black iMac would be cool. Minor hdw bumps though I still have an irrational hope for a 24"er with a conroe.

24" - proc bump, 7600GT 256MB standard/optional?

20" - proc bump, 7300GT 128MB standard/optional 7600GT 256MB

17" - proc bump, base model X1600 standard/better model 7300GT 128MB standard

The iMac case has been around for ages... I would dare say it's starting to look a bit outdated... although a black one might improve the situation...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    The first in line for a major redesign, case and everything, is the MacBook Pro. "Dated-look" aside (the enclosure is 4 years old this January), I think it has far more problems from a form and function standpoint. Since Apple seems to like using MacWorld San Fransisco to unveil new pro line notebooks, I think this is would be more favorable at the moment.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I doubt any of them will change. I think Apple has hit a peak. Until some new amazing technology comes along that merits a change. Or someone with a different perspective on design. I mean what more can you really do with the imac besides change it's color and make it thinner? Apple has become about minimalism these last few years. Everything black or white or metal. Everything down to it's basics. I mean don't get me wrong I really like the current designs. They are clean and professional and fun and super sleek. The kind of design that will never really go out of style. But there is only so far you can go with it and I think they've just hit a wall with it.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Remove the chin and it'll look better.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't expect to see a new iMac. I'm thinking the next product revision should be the Mac Pro. But I always think that even if it's only been a month before the previous.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I don't expect to see a new iMac. I'm thinking the next product revision should be the Mac Pro. But I always think that even if it's only been a month before the previous.

The Mac Pro will eventually be like the cinema displays, it will go down the all in one route. This is not mearly my opinion, it's an absolute certainty!! Before people flame my face face off, the RAM, the hard drives etc. will be all user replaceable.. the bigger the screen the more hard drives inside. Four hd's in the bottom of the display on the bigger screens, hot-swapable. I predict this will happen before 2010. The iMac will lose it's chin eventually too, and the screen will become height adjustable, as without the chin the computer screen would be too low down. The Mac Pro will be height adjustable too. So for Apple desktops you will have a choice of two types of display: the pro display with computer inside, or the home display with computer inside. The iMac will become thinner, to a point eventually where it looks just like a display, flash HD's and various technological advances will make this possible. All keyboards and mouses will become wireless, advances in battery technology will be so great as to push apple to completely stop making wired mice, which will actually reduce costs, in the long run. Also eventually your mouse and keyboards wont require batteries, wireless power inside. MacMini will disappear, as will the yet to be released iTV. Apple will make HD (SED) tv's, that'll come with iTV built-in, and apple will licence iTV technologies to various select TV makers (Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, Samsung etc.) Apple will come out with a TV service, to tie up the loose ends. Apple will become an MVNO. Although this may happen as soon as next year.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    It's been a while. I'm in the market for an iMac and I'm holding off until MacWorld.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

Remove the chin and it'll look dull.

T,ftfy.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I STILL like the original sunflower iMac; its design was/is absolutely the most egronomic in everyday use. I am still using my 20" and my wife's using the 15" I originally bought. I have the Cinema Display 23" working with my MacMini intel or MBP intel duo as needed, and the old 22" working with a still-living Cube, but I love that iMac.

I just don't find the swinging door or up/down pivot to be the same thing!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

The Mac Pro will eventually be like the cinema displays, it will go down the all in one route. This is not mearly my opinion, it's an absolute certainty!! Before people flame my face face off, . . .

I wouldn't flame your face off . . . I'm just having a good laugh!

It's funny.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    its macworld so there's gotta' be at least one mac thing!!1 come on steve!!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Remove the chin and it'll look better.

I agree, get rid of that stupid looking Chin and give the consumer the option for different GPU's. At the moment Integrated graphics suck,X1600 is pretty old and to get a 7300GT or 7600GT you must buy gigantic 24" iMac. Apple trying hard to limit its own sales.

G4 iMac was the best looking iMac ever made and I loved the floating display.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand

What do you think are the chances for new iMacs in MacWorld? New cases and all?

Maybe at least a hardware upgrade?

You won't see an upgrade on anything until the 965M chipset is released. Intel's development priority went to the desktop version of the 965 which apple has chosen not to use. Unless there is a desktop Core2/965 based Mac appearing, don't expect any big hardware announcements except for the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora

I agree, get rid of that stupid looking Chin and give the consumer the option for different GPU's. At the moment Integrated graphics suck,X1600 is pretty old and to get a 7300GT or 7600GT you must buy gigantic 24" iMac. Apple trying hard to limit its own sales.

They can't get rid of the chin. Even Apple is subject to the laws of physics. Plus, like I said in my most recent post, don't expect anything until Santa Rosa shows up in April.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

They can't get rid of the chin. Even Apple is subject to the laws of physics.

Would you explain that statement please?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    What about C2D processor speed bumps, guys? Any thoughts?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Would you explain that statement please?

Speakers and power supply take up room.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

Speakers and power supply take up room.

Sure, but the thing will continue to get more compact. If they wanted to, they could sacrifice features, or make the thing thicker, and then get rid of the chin. It's possible. It's just that they don't want to, since the chin has become an iconic part of the iMac.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora

Id disagree with that... I think the current iMac is the best design so far Apple has done. It would almost be feasibly possible for apple to design an iMac that could be mounted on a wall like a flat screen tv, that way you'd have your desktop space free to use.