Are the new iMacs OS X Boot-only?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I would think the 15" would boot into Mac OS 9 but I don't know that for a fact.

Any machine with Airport Extreme is Mac OS X only.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I would venture to say yes. They may keep on a legacy version of the iMac until June like they are with the power macs just to have an OS 9 booting iMac but I think they made it pretty clear that no new model would boot into OS 9. The new powerbooks don't and the new power macs don't so I think they are sticking to their guns on this.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    From the 1GHz iMac "Software" page:

The iMac boots up in Mac OS X, but it also comes with the Classic environment, which runs compatible Mac OS 9 software and is automatically turned on when you launch a Classic application.

Looks like it's X only. Not sure on the new 15" though.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Seeing as the eMac wasn't changed specwise I would say it can still boot OS 9 (this would be essential for most schools), and my gut tells me the 15" iMac is also OS 9 bootable only because I don't think it was really changed specwise. I mean it has a new SKU but there was always an 800MHz 15" iMac with a GF2 MX . Looks like it's not long for this world and may be discontinued as early as this spring to be replaced with the rumored 15.4" widescreen lowend iMac with BT and Airport Extreme slots. this 15" is a stop gag IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Like others have said, the 17" is OS X only but the 15" might boot in 9 since it's the same for the most part as the 13 month old older iMacs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Cool... yeah I'm certain the 17in. iMacs only boot X, but the 15in. still is dual boot. I'll know soon because I have to order one for a client.