Optimum maximum song size on iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got my iPod today and I'm loving it I am aware that if a song is greater that a certain amount the hard disk will run the whole time thus flattening the battery quickly. I have 34 MP3's that are all full length CD's. If I were to split them up what would be the largest size that would not cause the HD to run the whole time?

Wesley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    well since the skip-protection pre-reads 20 minutes of music into the cache, i would guess 19:59:59 ... would be optimal...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>well since the skip-protection pre-reads 20 minutes of music into the cache, i would guess 19:59:59 ... would be optimal...</strong><hr></blockquote>

it's 20minutes based on 160kbit/sec rate I believe so it could be different based on the bit rate
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    OK by my calculations that's about 23Mb so 20Mb sounds good. That makes for about 5 segments per MP3. Next question - I've done some searching with Google and VersionTracker for an MP3 splitter. I can't really find much, especially not for OS X. I would like one that splits on MPEG frames and will preserve ID3 info. Any suggestions? I'm open to any suggestions - Windows (I have VPC), OS 9, OS X, UNIX, Linux, GUI or command line.

Wesley
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Is this still true, or is it different for ipod versions?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wm13587359 View Post

OK by my calculations that's about 23Mb so 20Mb sounds good. That makes for about 5 segments per MP3. Next question - I've done some searching with Google and VersionTracker for an MP3 splitter. I can't really find much, especially not for OS X. I would like one that splits on MPEG frames and will preserve ID3 info. Any suggestions? I'm open to any suggestions - Windows (I have VPC), OS 9, OS X, UNIX, Linux, GUI or command line.

Wesley

Does Amoeba's Fission do what you want?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somekind View Post

Is this still true, or is it different for ipod versions?

They've increased the cache as time went on. However, I don't know what it was then or is now?a little bit of google should get that for you.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I have tons of house mixes on my 5.5G Video iPod and I'm still happy with the battery life when playing these mixes. It soesn't kill the battery that fast. Some of them are over 1Gb in size and runs for over 2 hours non-stop. I would suggest, instead of ruining your music by splitting it, you look into an external battery pack (there are many out there depending on your iPod model). I personallly like the Belkin TunePower.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I am getting the impression that keeping iPod connected to PC for long periods (such as the duration of a computer session, lasting several hours beyond charging), during which time I am multi-tasking with different windows/ programmes, will fry the battery . .

Is this the case or am I mistaken?