Should i get a MacBook now or wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, what do you guys think about the macbooks getting updated. They were just recently updated so i do not think they will be updated but what do you think.

Also, without making this the topic, do you think that there will be a tablet? I actually have been considering a tablet PC but i want a mac more.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Unless you really need a computer... I would wait as it's less than 2 weeks
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I do not so much need one but i am home from school so i have time to set it up and play with it. plus, i want to get Delicious Library and catalog my stuff from home before i go back
  • Reply 3 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    wait.

12 days to go.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

I do not so much need one but i am home from school so i have time to set it up and play with it. plus, i want to get Delicious Library and catalog my stuff from home before i go back

Then I would wait... there is a chance of a 12" MacBook Pro being released! 8)
  • Reply 5 of 22
    There is also a chance of a 15-inch MacBook being released. If Sony and Toshiba can offer a sub-$1,200 15.4-inch widescreen notebook with lots of RAM and SuperDrive burning capabilities, why cannot Apple? I think it's frickin' ridiculous that Apple's 15-inch laptop starts at $2,000. I HOPE that Apple will fill this void very soon.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Actually, this is the time of year when waiting might not be the best idea.

All the retailers want to get old inventory off their books by December 31. So in this week between Christmas and New Years, there are some very good deals to be had.

I was going to wait and get a single processor Mac Pro (which I expect will be released in Q1 2007), but then I saw all the heavy discounting on the Core Duo MacBook Pros and couldn't resist.

You can grab a 2.16 GHz 17" MacBook Pro for 1699 from most of the major catalog retailers. If your company has an EPP, you can get it for even less! You can get a 2.0 GHZ MacBook Pro 15.4" for $1299 from MacConnection.

Depending on what you want the laptop for, the first round Intel machines can be a real bargain. Just something to consider given the low probability of any significant updates to the MacBook lines next week. The real change comes when Santa Rosa is released.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    wait.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I will add the following qualifications to my earlier post:

1) Prices don't generally go back up. There does seem to be an ample amount of inventory still on the MacBook Pro CDs. So you can probably wait and still capitalize on the discounts. Your bargaining power may, however, be somewhat diminished in two weeks or your selection may be somewhat lessened as places finally sell out of the most popular models.

2) There has been quite a bit of speculation on an expansion of various model lines. (I am still shocked that there is no Conroe-based machine.) There are, on the whole, fewer laptop options currently than there were during the G4 days. As portables make up an important part of Apple's product strategy, it IS likely that there will soon be some additional varieties of Apple portables. Thus far I have not seen too much credible speculation on a third line of laptops, but a couple of smaller versions of the MB and MBP seem probable in the next six months.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wait 12 days 12 hours.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I'm waiting until they ship with Leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    i was thinking that too but i we will see when they say leopard is coming out. Honestly, it isn't the same issue because you can upgrade to leopard whereas you can't [feasibly] upgrade to the newest components when a new system is released
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I was thinking waiting until Leopard also, and maybe if I am lucky the MacBook Pros will get updated with that. I'm going to be spending around 3k so I defiintely need mine to last a good...4 years.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

So, what do you guys think about the macbooks getting updated. They were just recently updated so i do not think they will be updated but what do you think.

Also, without making this the topic, do you think that there will be a tablet? I actually have been considering a tablet PC but i want a mac more.

Thanks

Wait, for two reasons:

1. ILife 07! If for no other reason, ordering after the MacWorld keynote is over will probably net you a free (with shipping) upgrade to iLife 07 if it isn't bundled with your system. Why order so close to MacWorld but then face the prospect of another $79 to get the latest Apple creative goodies?

2. The MWSF surprise factor could also play into it. Anyone who bought a PowerBook in late 2003 or an iMac in late 2005 (I'm one of the latter) can attest to Apple's willingness to launch new models even when the line is supposed to be a safe choice. If there's a 12" MacBook Pro or a 15" MacBook, you may wish you'd held off for just a few more days.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    get a Dell with a dual core and save $600
  • Reply 15 of 22
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

Wrong. I've spec'ed out some Dells, the Core 2 Duo (not Core Duo) laptops are pretty close in price to the MacBooks. Except the MacBook has a small screen and small form factor. Plus no OS X Tiger/ Leopard with Dell.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    There is nothing close to Delicious Library on PC. Nothing as simple, elegant, beautiful, easy, cool.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Thanks

7 Days to go. Wait, nothing to lose now... 8)

15" MacBook !!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!!!1!1!!!!1!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

Wrong. Get a mac and save $400!

For a price comparison between Apple and Dell, look at this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=69839

The mac is a lot cheaper both for pro and consumer models.

• Reply 19 of 22
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

7 Days to go. Wait, nothing to lose now... 8)

15" MacBook !!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!!!1!1!!!!1!!!!

Haha. You are really pushing for that 15" MacBook. And who buys Dells and also talks on this forum?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

Haha. You are really pushing for that 15" MacBook. And who buys Dells and also talks on this forum?

the comparison just comes handy, when people like fatcatdj brings up the old "apple is too expensive anyway" argument...

But anyway...

Wait.