Briefly: Apple web ranking; Dell CEO out; Zune exec gone too

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Rollins was the one who said about the iPod, "It's a fad. There used to be this thing called a Walkman. You don't hear about that anymore, do you."

http://news.com.com/Dells+Rollins+Un...3-5540420.html

Well, no, after 20 years of strong sales for Sony and becoming an iconic piece of history, I guess no, you don't.

The ironic thing is, that news.com article is mainly talking about Rollins taking over Michael Dell's role in 2005. I guess, the iPod fad has outlasted the Rollins fad.

As for "Dell 2.0" - the company / guy is so unoriginal they have to steal overused memes to state their corporate mission.

sounds like he got the idea fron the internet 2 initiative. Makes it sound, oh so modern.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    When watching the Vista launch video on Jan 30 I wondered why Kevin Rollins looked so unhappy. He must have known he would be out of there the next day. I wonder if he got to keep the copy of Vista Bill gave him on stage.?
  • Reply 43 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

When watching the Vista launch video on Jan 30 I wondered why Kevin Rollins looked so unhappy. He must have known he would be out of there the next day. I wonder if he got to keep the copy of Vista Bill gave him on stage.?

Nah. He was out because he accepted the gift. Too many corporate scandals over gifts lately. Dell wanted to be seen as clean, and not accepting bribes from MS.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I'm loving this thread....
  • Reply 45 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Rollins was the one who said about the iPod, "It's a fad. There used to be this thing called a Walkman. You don't hear about that anymore, do you.".

As others have remarked, a 20 year run for Sony wasn't too shabby. However there was never a 'Walkman' industry as there is an 'iPod' 3rd part industry. That billion $ 'iPod' industry is a pretty amazing phenomenon.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Microsoft still hopes to sell its millionth Zune by the end of June. 2007...

""We think a lot of Zunes are sitting underneath Christmas trees," Reindorp said..."

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6141431.html

"Microsoft has predicted it will sell 1 million Zune devices in its first six months, a figure that would be more than Zune?s chief rival iPod sold in its first 14 months but a relatively slow start for the much-hyped MP3 device."

http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/12/...ales/index.php

The brown Zune, sitting under the old xmas tree covered with dried up pine needles, could easily have been forgotten and unknowingly recycled ? "mom, didnt I get something else in my stocking besides the orange and the deodorant ?, I can't remember what it was"
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

Microsoft still hopes to sell its millionth Zune by the end of June. 2007...

""We think a lot of Zunes are sitting underneath Christmas trees," Reindorp said..."

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6141431.html

"Microsoft has predicted it will sell 1 million Zune devices in its first six months, a figure that would be more than Zune’s chief rival iPod sold in its first 14 months but a relatively slow start for the much-hyped MP3 device."

http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/12/...ales/index.php

It would be interesting to see the numbers of the iPods sold in 6 months by Apple per OS they have in use vs. that for Windows goal.

Not perfect comparison, but probably more accurate that this one.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

I thought that one was over.

Sunilraman hopes to have 8 000 posts by the time Leopard ships!
  • Reply 49 of 59
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoodOverZune View Post

Zune is zuned

or

Zune is zoon to be zuned!

(Dictionary: zuned = doomed)

Or how about Zune + Owned = Zoned?

That's a good way to describe what's happened to the Zune so far. Or maybe this is. 8)

• Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

PS: You have crated a brilliant name, btw.

Thnx. Wait for the avatar too! That's even better.

BTW, how about Zune is zoon to be zuned, may be as zoon as coming Zune (June)
  • Reply 51 of 59
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    I got a chance to see the Zune today when I was shopping for a refrigerator at Sears. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't want Zune to succeed because Microsoft is already too powerful but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised. I hope that doesn't mean I'm excommunicated.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

That's a good way to describe what's happened to the Zune so far. Or maybe this is. 8)

LOL...

Zune + zombie = Zumbie. Hey there is a new term. Zune is zumbied.

Oh, I am so waiting for the brown zPhone!
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

I got a chance to see the Zune today when I was shopping for a refrigerator at Sears. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't want Zune to succeed because Microsoft is already too powerful but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised. I hope that doesn't mean I'm excommunicated.

The Zune isn't terrible (well, ok, the brown looks like sh**, and the UI isn't as good, but...) a decent knock-off of a good product usually tends to be at least okay, based on the strength of the original product being imitated.

Doesn't mean that you'd take it over the original, though. And judging from sales, people really, really aren't. \

• Reply 54 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Zwned ?? Sounds more 1337
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

Zwned ?? Sounds more 1337

LOL! Zwned it is!
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:

LOL! Zwned it is!

I am going to miss discussing Zune..... \
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Post fight! Post fight!
  • Reply 58 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Post fight! Post fight!

Feeling sporty, huh? Let's go over to http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...t=71290&page=3 ...Another thread that's degenerated into the "Macs suck because they can't play games and Apple is arrogant and stuff" vs "Vista sucks because.... well, because it just sucks...." *sigh*
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saleski View Post

The brown Zune, sitting under the old xmas tree...

Yes! Mr. Hankey has finally returned! So that's why the nice folks over at SPStudios didn't make any Hankey special last Christmas...