What are we Reading?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 149
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Sorry for not clarifying, what I meant by my comment was that they would have been better if they hadn't been teen books at all. Read as teen books they were fine, but they had potential to be much deeper books, and this potential was not tapped, since they were teen novels. My opinion is that they should have been written as adult novels, and expanded.

I understand. A good idea lost to teen/tween pulp.

As I said, I haven't read them yet, but I can imagine wondering what a serious adult author would be able to do with the premise...
  • Reply 82 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah. I see 12 and 13 year olds reading them and they seem delighted. Of course, some of the 13 year olds wouldn't touch these books with a 10 foot pole. I'm guessing the target age doesnt go much higher than that...

So, just curious now, what have you read lately that you liked?

(Just don't tell me its the Barroque Cycle--I'll get an inferiority complex...)

I recently finished The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's non-fiction about the Chicago worlds fair. Fairly interesting. Others within the past two months include Othello, Much Ado About Nothing, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Prestige, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. All great pieces of literature.
  • Reply 83 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

I recently finished The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's non-fiction about the Chicago worlds fair. Fairly interesting. Others within the past two months include Othello, Much Ado About Nothing, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Prestige, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. All great pieces of literature.

Was thinking of reading The Prestige in the summer. Will watching the movie take away from the book, do you think? It is on my Netflicks Q.
  • Reply 84 of 149
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Last one I read was Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" - pretty nice book, read it all at once (okay, but then, I also had enough time to do so as I was on an 11-hour flight from Asia to Europe...)
  • Reply 85 of 149
    turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:

Was thinking of reading The Prestige in the summer. Will watching the movie take away from the book, do you think? It is on my Netflicks Q.

I just read the book and then watched the movie immediately after finishing the book. That is the best way to go, in my opinion. I think you understand parts of the movie better if you've already read the book, and also the book relies heavily on plot twists to keep your attention, so already knowing what happens will not serve you well.
  • Reply 86 of 149
    Just this morning I started a book called "Spin." It is a pretty good sci-fi novel so far. It begins with some kids looking up at the night sky, only to watch as the stars all go out. The rest of the book is apparently how Earth tries to figure out what has happened, and how it will affect them.
  • Reply 87 of 149
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:

I just read the book and then watched the movie immediately after finishing the book. That is the best way to go, in my opinion. I think you understand parts of the movie better if you've already read the book, and also the book relies heavily on plot twists to keep your attention, so already knowing what happens will not serve you well.

I don't know. The movie relies on those plot twists too. I think that in this case it doesn't really matter which you do first. They will both be just as good.
  • Reply 88 of 149
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    I just finished reading Creepers by David Morrell. An excellent suspense filled page turner. It was hard to put down once I started reading it.
  • Reply 89 of 149
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Just picked up Prozac Nation A Memoir by Elizabeht Wurtzel this morning. I'm only about 30 pages into it, but I've really liked it so far. It really appeals to the teenage angst inside of me.
  • Reply 90 of 149
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Wurtzel writes like a hysterical wombat [semi-colon]; it's the egocentricity menstruating from her pores which makes me think every time she raises her armpit to pen another sentence, she has actually succoured an exceedingly banal example of fart.

Teenage angst is fine, although there are better examples. Even 'Young Man Luther' by Erik Erikson with it's psychoanalytical slant is more stimulating.

Back to Page 9 of Apple Indesign.....the slog goes on. I'm losing interest already. Been to a few exhibitions today and have recently taken up reading maps of French place names...
  • Reply 91 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Wurtzel writes like a hysterical wombat [semi-colon]; it's the egocentricity menstruating from her pores which makes me think every time she raises her armpit to pen another sentence, she has actually succoured an exceedingly banal example of fart.

Teenage angst is fine, although there are better examples. Even 'Young Man Luther' by Erik Erikson with it's psychoanalytical slant is more stimulating.

Back to Page 9 of Apple Indesign.....the slog goes on. I'm losing interest already. Been to a few exhibitions today and have recently taken up reading maps of French place names...

You don't have to make fun of my punctuational ineptness.

Contrary to your opinion, I'm rather enjoying the book. My angst relates to it well.
  • Reply 92 of 149
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Currently reading Somebody's Gotta Say It by my favorite talk radio host, Neal Boortz.
  • Reply 93 of 149
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Finished Micky Spillane's "Something's Down There". Wasn't bad, very light reading for on the beach with a Miller Lite (which must have been a product endorsement in the novel).

Starting some really heavy stuff. "Perdido Street Station" by China Miéville. Now this is something to immerse myself from reality. Incredible writing, setting and characters...

Here's an artist's view of the New Crobuzon world...
  • Reply 94 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

"Perdido Street Station" by China Miéville. Now this is something to immerse myself from reality. Incredible writing, setting and characters...

I looked that book up on Amazon, it looks AMAZING. I am definitely adding that to my "To Buy" list.

Just finished "Flowers For Algernon." It was okay, now I'm reading "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. Reminds me of the Sixth Sense so far, but I'm only on Chapter 3..

Has anyone here read "Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner? I saw it in a store the other day, and it looked intriguing, but I didn't have much time to peruse it..
  • Reply 95 of 149
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Just finished: Freakonomics (GREAT)

Just finished: Emma (BORING AT TIMES BUT THE OVERALL NOVEL IS A CLASSIC FOR SURE)

Reading: Good to Great (TOO SOON TO TO TELL)
  • Reply 96 of 149
    Quote:

I looked that book up on Amazon, it looks AMAZING. I am definitely adding that to my "To Buy" list.

Just finished "Flowers For Algernon." It was okay, now I'm reading "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. Reminds me of the Sixth Sense so far, but I'm only on Chapter 3..

Has anyone here read "Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner? I saw it in a store the other day, and it looked intriguing, but I didn't have much time to peruse it..

I love Flowers for Algernon. It's one of two books that have made me cry. The other was Where the Red Fern Grows. I still cry when I read either of them.
  • Reply 97 of 149
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Freakonomics is excellent. Buy for sure.
  • Reply 98 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Starting some really heavy stuff. "Perdido Street Station" by China Miéville. Now this is something to immerse myself from reality. Incredible writing, setting and characters...

Read that last summer. I liked it, though it didnt quite hold up for me through the end--I loved the first half to three quarters. I dont know if I started losing focus because of external factors (my life, my stresses, my distractions) or internal ones (writing, pacing, plot).

Anybody else have the same problem?

Anybody else read any other Miévelle? I'd certainly be willing try another on recomendation as I felt that Perdido showed me alot (even if I lost it in the end).
  • Reply 99 of 149
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I've just finished "Headlong" by Michael Frayn.

Now after a trip to the bookstore and library, I've got a shitload of things to read.

Starting on "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

An all time classic. GGM is one of the great writers of the last century. His style and command of language are nearly incomparable.

I'm reading "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I'm a Lincoln addict. The period 1850-1865 overflows with seminal events in US history. Kearns weaves together the fascinating story of how Abe populated his cabinet with a diverse ensemble of his chief political rivals and how together, they coped with the civil war and the ultimate issue of the day, slavery.
  • Reply 100 of 149
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:

Read that last summer. I liked it, though it didnt quite hold up for me through the end--I loved the first half to three quarters. I dont know if I started losing focus because of external factors (my life, my stresses, my distractions) or internal ones (writing, pacing, plot).

Anybody else have the same problem?

Anybody else read any other Miévelle? I'd certainly be willing try another on recomendation as I felt that Perdido showed me alot (even if I lost it in the end).

I read on my way to work on the bus. I tend to get distracted by the occasional junkies, old smelly people or noisy cell phone users. But I need to read. If I didn't I'd have to deal with them face to face.

This is the first book I've read of Miévelle. I've heard his books can be a little dower, but I like that sometimes. His descriptions of people, places and things is very rich. Not as overwhelming as Neal Stephenson. Speaking of, you might want to check his Cryptonomicon or Baroque Cycle series. Great books.